|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Dog Attack

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
JG

Williamsburg, Virginia, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/24/19 12:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Everyone should control their dogs. But the damage done by a large dog can be bad or deadly. Last month a old lady was in her back yard with her Pit Bull. It bite her in the neck and killed.

2019 Casita Liberty
2015 Chevy Truck
Wonderful wife since 1969

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/24/19 12:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jayco-noslide wrote:

People who find they have dangerous aggressive dogs should be able to have them put down without being lectured by animal right people. Our daughter had an unpredictable, crazy acting Beagle then had a baby. Had a heck of a time finding a kennel to take it. They were treated like it was a child they were trying t get rid of.

This is a tough one. Many people will quickly "get rid of" a pet when a baby comes along. Often they will claim the animal is a danger to the baby when there is no danger - just a person choosing to get rid of an unwanted pet.

Then there are those who truly have a problem pet. Who have done everything possible to correct the issue, have tried every out!et to find it a new home and who truly cannot keep it.

I have dealt with both personally. I had a co-worker ask me to take her older cat (that she had had since it was a kitten) because she got pregnant and didn't want the cat to steal the baby's breath. I told her to take it to the animal services and know that there was a 90 percent chance of it being destroyed. She wanted an easy way out of pet ownership and I wasn't going to give it to her.

My next door neighbors took in an abused rottie from the neighborhood. They had him for quite a few years and had developed a trust with him. But the dog was unsafe around others. When they were forced to move due to health reasons, they contacted every rescue in the area and tried to find another home for him that would work with no luck. No one would help them. They weren't moving by choice. They weren't just dumping him because they were tired of him. And they were in an impossible position. They went to a local vet who refused to euthanize the dog and made them feel like horrid people. I went with them to my vet who did the euthanasia because it was the best solution in that situation.

There is a huge difference between those two events and they were very clear to see the difference. Most are somewhere in between and it's more difficult to determine the best solution.

I once had a cat who sprayed. A friend came by one day and told me "you need to get rid of that cat". I said " Get rid of where? " and she said "I don't know but you shouldn't have to deal with this".
I replied, "I've had him since he was a kitten and if I'm unwilling to put up with his behavior, why would anyone else choose to take him knowing he sprays? So I guess you mean I should have him killed." She got very quiet. It never occurred to her that if the cat was "gotten rid of" it therefore had to be "gotten" somewhere else. I suppose she thought it would miraculously appear at that dreamworld "farm in the country" where it could spend out its days in bliss.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

185EZ

Infinity and Beyond

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/19 12:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ah yes toedtoes,
People think they have all the answers and don't realize what they are saying or don't even know the situation.
just like keyboard warriors saying cruel things since they aren't face to face with you about your large mean dog.
My dobie was 12 years old and other than walking a bit funny he liked to go sit in the park everyday.
A lady comes up to me and says, EZ, it's time.
Uh, time for what?
Time to put him down.
I just sat there in disbelief that anyone could say something like that.
I'll decide when it's time thank you very much.

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/19 07:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toedtoes wrote:

I suppose she thought it would miraculously appear at that dreamworld "farm in the country" where it could spend out its days in bliss.

And guess what the farmers in "dreamworld" do when the city folk drop off their problem pet? Shoot it. They don't want your problem, either. My long-ago neighbor had a beautiful place in the country - and several times each year, we'd hear "BLAM!" coming from his property. He admitted he'd take the animal out into the woods and dispatch it - he didn't want to drive it into town to the animal rescue and PAY to leave it like I usually did.

hokeypokey

xxx

View Profile

Posted: 11/02/19 09:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1). Our local Farmers Market clearly states “due to state health laws - no pets allowed”. They bring them anyway.
2). I know of people out walking who have been bitten by a dog that ran at them.
3). I wish there would be a National law that if a dog is taken out (for any reason) it should be muzzled.
4). I love dogs but I don’t want one for the liability of it.

WVcampground

WV

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/19 05:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hokeypokey wrote:

3). I wish there would be a National law that if a dog is taken out (for any reason) it should be muzzled.

Seriously? [emoticon] Look up the number of dog related deaths and injuries compared to the number of vehicular related deaths and injuries per year. What other laws are needed?

RoyF

Fayetteville Arkansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/03/19 07:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How to protect yourself from dog attacks: so far, we have heard gun, whips, cattle prods.

After I was attached by a pit bull, I put the question to my local animal control department. Their suggestions:

(1) A citronella-based spray is what their agents use.
(2) A long stick. They said that few dogs will go past the end of a stick that is pointed at them.

Luckily, I got off with only only a couple of deep puncture wounds. The dog snapped at my thigh but did not hang on in the usual pit-bull manner. By shouting, I kept the dog away until the owner could run up with the "He's never done that before," story.

JG

Williamsburg, Virginia, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/03/19 08:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My dog has tried to bite me when he got excited. He's a small dog. I can control him. It is very hard to control a dog that is more powerful than you are.

Boon Docker

Mountain Foothills of South Western Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/19 09:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WVcampground wrote:

hokeypokey wrote:

Seriously? [emoticon] Look up the number of dog related deaths and injuries compared to the number of vehicular related deaths and injuries per year. What other laws are needed?

All cars should be muzzled before leaving the driveway. Maybe there would be less injuries. [emoticon]

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/19 03:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have only had 2 dogs bite me and one more try.

#1.. Was very apologetic.. He was not trying to bite me. I put my hand in his mouth instead of under his chin.. My bad.

#2: Well. he did not really bite but one of his Canine teeth did hit my thumbnail.. But by the time the jaws closed I was no longer in position.

#3 Failed totally First try I was faster then she. 2nd try she went for the throat buy coming up under my arm.... Not enough room between my body and arm for her body to pass so again she was less than satisfied. Most dogs I get along with well.. Though I have Deep and abiding respect for the CHOW breed. (I have respect for all of 'em).

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Dog Attack
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS