RV.Net Open Roads Forum: 2020 Class'C' E-450 Ford V10 lacks power?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> 2020 Class'C' E-450 Ford V10 lacks power?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
jolooote

Miami, FL

View Profile

Posted: 10/23/19 07:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

New 2020 Jayco Grayhawk Pristige 31 foot on the Ford V10, 305 horse power Van E-450 chassis seems to lack power? This is my 5th MoHo and 3rd. Class 'C' Ford Van Chassis V10 305 HP. Has there been some sort of Engine detune for Exhaust Emissions or the like? I've been happy with all the other V10s. [emoticon]

Joe & Charlotte

2020 Jayco Greyhawk Prestige 29MV Celestial Blue Full Body Paint E-450 305hp V10 6spd Class C 'COACH'
2012 Jeep Wrangler 285hp V6 'TOAD'

Gabby & Molly are Dogs
Leroy's a Conure, Loretta's a Squeaker

"Once it starts breakin'...GET RID OF IT!!!"

carringb

Corvallis, OR

View Profile

Posted: 10/23/19 07:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nope. The E-series never got a power reduction. 1st thing to check is that nothing is obstructed. Some V10s a while back had a plastic flaps installed wrong, which would nearly completely obstruct the intake opening behind the grill. The next thing I'd check is visually verifying nothing on the exhaust has been crushed. Other than than, probably best to schedule an appointment with Ford.

Bryan

2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

MDKMDK

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/23/19 08:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are you revving the engine up into it's power band in the 3500 to 4500 RPM range? Need a better description of the circumstances, when you say it "lacks power". Up hill, into the wind, lower speed, while towing, from a stop during hard acceleration, etc....?

Mike.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

Beverley&Ken

Tottenham,Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 10/23/19 08:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's his 3rd V10 c-class, It could be the first brand new one and the engine just needs a break in. Do as carringb suggested, or take it to a Ford dealer. There shouldn't be a big decrease in performance.

Ken

2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

carringb

Corvallis, OR

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/19 06:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One more thought... Make sure there isn't a rodent nest in the air cleaner! When I was running a shop, this was the number 1 cause for lack-of-power complaints. Especially in the fall.

overdrive75

Whitmore Lake, MI

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/19 06:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The OP was posting in the Class A forum earlier in the week. His previous motorhome were class A's. The class C is at an immediate disadvantage due to the 2 valve engine. Then secondly the aero load is significantly higher on the class C over the class A due the the front shape of the C and how it tunnels air. That eats alot of power.

Jayco-noslide

Galesburg,Il., USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/19 09:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Could this one be heavier than the others. Several hundred pounds could make a difference. My son has a near new 30 ft. Class A and I have an older C 30 footer, both E-450 and we find neither a lack or abundance of power. I tow a 3000 lb. car and yes it could use another 50 HP.

Jayco-noslide

bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/19 09:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have the dealer check, air filter, fuel filter, cat converter. I would ask if it's possible for a sensor to be malfunctioning without actually showing a code.

ron.dittmer

North-East Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/19 10:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

carringb wrote:

Nope. The E-series never got a power reduction. 1st thing to check is that nothing is obstructed. Some V10s a while back had a plastic flaps installed wrong, which would nearly completely obstruct the intake opening behind the grill.
I was going to mention this but carringb beat me to it.

Inspecting for it is very simple as follows.

Pop-off the black plastic oval air intake from the connection to the shroud located over the radiator, and look in the hole of the shroud. If you see a plastic flap obstruction, you must disconnect and lift the shroud, fold the black plastic flap in such a way that when you lower the shroud, it stays folded back.

Another item to inspect is the air filter itself. On rare occasion, the air filter comes apart and the domed plastic center piece is drawn to and blocks the air intake.

Both inspections take only a minute to do yourself, well worth the effort. It is inconvenient to get other people involved with issues you can easily take care of yourself. That is unless you have found the actual problem and have trouble dismounting and lifting the shroud. At the very least, you are knowledgeable when talking with a mechanic.

* This post was edited 10/24/19 12:03pm by ron.dittmer *

2007 Phoenix Cruiser model 2350, with 2006 Jeep Liberty in-tow

VA-Apraisr

glen allen, VA

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/19 02:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And very beneficial and helpful to all of us who may find ourselves in a similar situation, that the OP follows up to reveal the "solution to the problem was....???". Don't leave us guessing. We all ask questions and look for ANSWERS on this board.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> 2020 Class'C' E-450 Ford V10 lacks power?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS