RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Building RV park near McKinney TX, what would you want most?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Building RV park near McKinney TX, what would you want most?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Supercharged

Az.

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/19 08:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

westernrvparkowner wrote:

In my opinion you are attempting to develop a park that has two incompatible client bases. Long term stays don't mix well with overnight and short term stays. Just a fact of the RV world.
Do everything right and complete the first time. Building a few sites without the rest of the infrastructure such as bathrooms, office and any planned recreational facilities in place will just get you bad reviews and word of mouth. People don't want to stay where there is constant construction or incomplete facilities. Solid, well placed utilities, good access and good roads, clean well constructed common facilities, and good landscaping is what is needed to please the vast majority of guests. Everything else is optional.
What do you want to pay a month, or week. And how much should you pay. Where in the country should this park be?

So big a world, so little time to see.

magnusfide

On the Road Again and Again and Again...

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/19 08:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JAC1982 wrote:

Sites spread out far enough, or at least arranged in a way so you don't feel like you're staring at the back of your neighbor's RV.

I would also appreciate a fenced dog park so the dogs could go run around off-leash.

Double Ditto.

First law of science: don't spit into the wind.
Bacon is the duct tape of the kitchen.
Magnus

SDcampowneroperator

South Dakota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/24/19 09:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well. so much to dwell on in this thread. Lets dwell on the OPs questions, as he asked, you replied, and whats possible.
1- space. larger , sites, utilities spaced mid site.
2 -level concrete pads with mature landscaping that does not interfere with satellite
3- an adults section.
4- a families section
5- unlimited wifi
6- A pets section
7- a no pets section
8 - All pull thru. Ugh that means no sites with a rear window view., many can drive , prefer a back in for the privacy and rear view.

This is a sampling of what travelers want. Full Timers, weekenders, vacationers. There is no way a single camp can suit everyone, so its why many camps have chosen to serve a single clientele,
Many camps like ours mix it up, do our best at serving unique requests. But the trees dont move. The pool is where it is, some cell phones dont work in lower valley sections.
Over 55, 10 year rule, clothing optional,. Every option under law is the operators choice as is the limits they can provide.
Want the perfect campground? Whats in your eyes, go build it. Good Luck. The land does not exist .
For us in the industry we do our best with what the infrastructure and clientele requests we can provide.

* This post was edited 10/24/19 09:13pm by SDcampowneroperator *

profdant139

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/19 10:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Make sure the top of the sewer hookups are not six inches above ground level -- that stuff does not flow uphill well at all! Keep them as close to ground level as you can.

I have even seen RV parks where the sewer opening was slightly lower than ground level and located within a recessed concrete basin, like a sani-dump. That setup, while more expensive, greatly reduces the chances of a sewer spill.

And of course you know that a site contaminated by a bad spill can't be rented out for several days, while everything is cleaned up and dries out . . . . .

Good luck with your park!!

2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

txfamilycamper

Richardson, TX

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/19 03:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow thank you all for the great insight so far!

Wildwood 30KQBSS, F250 gas
Honda gen & renogy solar suitcase for dry camping

schlep1967

Harrisburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/25/19 05:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good luck with the request to get the sewer, water and electric in the right spot. My guess would be 5 feet from the parking pad (to allow for slides) and just behind where the typical fifth-wheel axles would be when parked. There is no standard on where the hook-ups are on RV's. My buddy has a TT with the electric hook-up on the back of the trailer. His last one was towards the front of the trailer. Mine is mid trailer.

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
2009 Open Range 385RLS
Pull-Rite Super Glide

bob_nestor

murphy

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/19 06:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I could be in a minority here, but I think the RV Campground "industry" has not taken the time to fully understand and capitalize on the attraction of overnite camping at places like Walmart. McKinney is on a heavily traveled highway (US-75) for campers headed south for the winter and north for the summer. There aren't a lot of good places for them to stay for the night in and around McKinney. As a Boondocker Welcome Host I've had a lot of campers stop in for a night on their travels thru the area, and I'm one of the few BW Hosts in this area.

My suggestion would be to consider an option for over-nighters - maybe away from the rest of your sites, but with greatly reduced prices and possibly electric as an option. Having a common spot for dumping tanks and filling with fresh water for them would be nice too. How one would get the word out and advertise this would be a bit of a challenge, but I suspect that after a short time the word-of-mouth advertising would kick in.

mleekamp

Washington, IL

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/19 06:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm going to 2nd (or 3rd ?) the space between sites. We've camped at an RV park on our way to FL...so it was a pull in, eat, sleep, and leave early. Problem was, here I am emptying my black tank at my site, not more than 6 or 8 feet from a family making B-fast outside. Yuk. I felt bad, but they didn't care. The site utilities were literally 6 to 8 feet from the "picnic" table at the next site. Sure, it worked fine. But still....

That said, I like most all the other suggestions. Level site would be my #2

2019 Jayco Redhawk 29XK Class C, Ford V10 E450 chassis
2000 Jeep Wrangler for a Dinghy w/ Invisibrake & Curt Tow Bar

lots2seeinmyrv

Neither Here nor There

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/25/19 06:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Arborvitae Hedge between sites for privacy and site boundaries.

And the neighbors do not see the next door dump and utilities.

[image]

sayoung

Tx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/25/19 08:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know how expensive concrete is but with the type soil you have there all roads & pads should be concrete, imo.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Building RV park near McKinney TX, what would you want most?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.