|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> 2WD or 4X4 for a truck camper

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 22  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/19 05:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jaycocreek wrote:

I am convinced after this thread that if you don't have a 4X4 your just not kool and looked down on as a second rate truck camper/wanna bee...

Finally, got it that took a long time. [emoticon]

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/19 06:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Has nothing to do with if you don't have a 4X4 your just not kool and looked down on as a second rate truck camper/wanna bee.... LOL laughing, laughing really hard......

OP didn't like my comment in another thread where I stated that 2wd pickup trucks are worthless in the snow.

After a few comments someone suggested that he start another thread so he resurrected this one so he could continue beating a dead horse defending his opinion that they are good in the snow.

Not sure which facts I missed??? [emoticon]

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd Regular cab.
What real trucks really look like.
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
6580 lb truck 10540 fully loaded

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/19 06:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

specta wrote:

I got you. OP said a 4x4 is 2WD, so I think we all agree ... just using a different name for the same thing. [emoticon]

I think OP drives a 1WD, fwiw.

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/19 08:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimh425 wrote:

specta wrote:

I got you. OP said a 4x4 is 2WD, so I think we all agree ... just using a different name for the same thing. [emoticon]

I think OP drives a 1WD, fwiw.

Some folks should be more vehicle specific.

My 4x4 is not a 2wd.

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/19 01:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

My 4x4 is not a 2wd.

Unless you have front and rear lockers,your truck is not driven by all four wheels there-for.........

This thread was mostly in jest as most know but there are just a few that can't either take a joke or woke up on the wrong side of the bed or just does not have a sense of humor..

Like a 1/2 ton truck is rated for 1,000# or a 3/4 ton rated for 1500# 1-ton equals 2,000#..Come on....That's a joke as well as a 4X4 does not have 4 tires with power to them..We all know that, I hope..

There's some good 'ol boys on this forum and there's some old cranks and I thought a little humor/discussion about truck campers and trucks might be a good thing for a change from the usual arguments..

Chevy's first 4X4 pickup wasn't until 1960 and it sure wasn't a heavy truck camper toter and Toyota didn't have 4X4 in the US until 1979..So come on..Everyone drove a worthless 2WD vehicle back then..(In humor to the cranks)..How did they ever survive in the snow?

Remember, this is about do you need a 4X4 with a truck camper...Some do others don't...

1994 F-350 DRW /460/k&n intake /415# torque/lance 9.6/Engel compressor fridge/3 gr 27 batteries/Honda 2k/Honda 3K/WH Camo 2250/Reese solid bar extension/Buddy heater/3 inverters//Happi Jack tie downs /Firestone bags/Yamaha Rhino/Winch and Lockers

KKELLER14K

BEAVERTON OREGON

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/19 01:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]

One of my rigs...in the early days on the Oregon coast. Would you trust a 2x2 or a 4x4 in this place? Well it depends. This little guy was probably the best combo I have owned to be in this kind of situation. I have been on this exact beach with the Dually and have gotten stuck 2 times with my larger heavy rig even though it is a 4x4. You have to judge for yourself what and where you will be taking a rig. The dually is just way to heavy with a 5000 pound Arctic Fox out there...The rig here drove around with not one issue. So I guess it boils down to the OP's question 2x2 or 4x4??...it just depends on what you do with it and where do you want to go...I'm only offering my personal experience as I have had 3 trucks and 4 TC's all of different levels of weight and traction. One note...all three trucks where 4x4.

KKELLER14K

BEAVERTON OREGON

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/19 01:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]

This is where I started..LOL!!

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/19 05:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

I have been on this exact beach with the Dually and have gotten stuck 2 times with my larger heavy rig even though it is a 4x4. You have to judge for yourself what and where you will be taking a rig. The dually is just way to heavy with a 5000 pound Arctic Fox out there.

KKELLER14K..Nice looking rigs you posted..

I agree with what your saying..A big/heavy truck camper is a poor camper for 4 wheeling on the beach or in the mountains..Making the need for 4X4 less and less than a smaller TC..

While Kayteg took his large 1172 up a pretty narly un-maintained FS road with just RWD,the majority does not..Even the ones on this thread with large truck campers don't do, but say you need 4X4...Most of the pictures I see of a TC in the hills,a guy could take a car to..

Not seeing anything like the photo posted by Kayteg from anyone else with a large/heavy/long TC but we "all" need a 4X4 for our truck camper or you will run off the road and tumble down the mountain out of control killing everything in you path..(In humor)

I also agree with your take on everyone has to decide where there going to take the TC and if they will need 4X4 and if it is worth the extra cost and maintenance..

Again,nice pictures of both,that little Toyota with a TC is sweet!!

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/19 05:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

KKELLER14K wrote:

One of my rigs...in the early days on the Oregon coast. Would you trust a 2x2 or a 4x4 in this place?

Can anybody tell me what vehicle is 2X2?

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/19 05:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jaycocreek wrote:

Most of the pictures I see of a TC in the hills,a guy could take a car to..

Not seeing anything like the photo posted by Kayteg from anyone else with a large/heavy/long TC but we "all" need a 4X4 for our truck camper or you will run off the road and tumble down the mountain out of control killing everything in you path.!

How could you possibly tell the path people took to get to their photo spots? Kayteg1’s picture doesn’t show me much, but one picture taken from whatever angle usually won’t. Kind of like your snow picture it was open for interpretation. Were you guys stuck and waiting for your 4x4 friends to pull you out? [emoticon]

The opposite point that you/Kayteg1 are trying to make is the discussion point. That is, you guys say there is no use for 4x4. That’s what the rest of us are finding funny. Simlar to the other point one poster was making. If you don’t have 4x4, you’ll never need it because you won’t go to the same places and do the same things.

Besides, 4x4 is on almost all of the trucks in the Northwest and most of the country, and you and anyone who looks knows that. Heck, even Kayteg1 custom ordered his truck. So, 4x4 is pretty much going to be on your truck whether you need it or not.

Rare as the need for 4x4 is for a TC, it doesn’t hurt to have it if you need it. Also, as noted most of our trucks don’t always have our TCs on them, so it can be good in those times as well.

Oh well ... more wasted time to respond ...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 22  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> 2WD or 4X4 for a truck camper
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.