|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> 2WD or 4X4 for a truck camper

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 22  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
burningman

Seattle, WA USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/19 10:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I guess if you can’t handle a four wheel drive because you’ll think you’re invincible and you’ll crash it, you shouldn’t buy one.

2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/19 11:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

burningman wrote:

I guess if you can’t handle a four wheel drive because you’ll think you’re invincible and you’ll crash it, you shouldn’t buy one.

LOL..I have owned plenty 4X4's with and without truck campers on them..I own a small one right now and have two in the yard..

Anyway..Here is a DRW 2WD plowing snow with weight in the back as a small TC would be..

2WD DRW plowing snow

1994 F-350 DRW /460/k&n intake /415# torque/lance 9.6/Engel compressor fridge/3 gr 27 batteries/Honda 2k/Honda 3K/WH Camo 2250/Reese solid bar extension/Buddy heater/3 inverters//Happi Jack tie downs /Firestone bags/Yamaha Rhino/Winch and Lockers

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/19 11:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If your not convinced yet,check out "Pure Off roading" in a 2WD..For those that say 2WD won't work off road..See what a good driver can do in 2WD rock/mud and sand...

Off topic but for the nay-sayers..Just one time!

2WD off Roading

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/19 11:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kind of a waste to not have 4 wheel drive with the weight of a plow and engine up front. [emoticon] Sounds like the DRW driver was kind of clueless.

No reason to look at pure offroading in 2WD because it probably doesn’t have a TC on it.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

KKELLER14K

BEAVERTON OREGON

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/19 01:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry about the mis-spoke...obviously it would be considered rear wheel drive as most call it, 2wd. I get the term 4x4 but as we all know that is not what it really is. Obviously as I previously stated, I personally would like to improve the front Dana 60 with a locker but for the cost and effort it is a big upgrade. I just don't take the truck in places I used to. I do have the limited slip rear end which helps. I guess if we were to re-brand it, I would call it a front-wheel,rear-wheel combo drive....lol. Much easier to call it 4x4 though and most understand what that means..more of a pet name.

ticki2

NH

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/19 04:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jaycocreek wrote:

burningman wrote:

LOL..I have owned plenty 4X4's with and without truck campers on them..I own a small one right now and have two in the yard..

Anyway..Here is a DRW 2WD plowing snow with weight in the back as a small TC would be..

2WD DRW plowing snow
You should ell your friend in the video to lift the plow when they back up. [emoticon]

'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/19 06:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Years ago, back in California I worked with a guy who was living like 40 miles away. Working often 7 day a week, the guy was putting 40,000 miles annually, mostly carrying only lunch box in his pickup.
So when his RWD pickup got totaled, he bought 4x4 pickup as replacement.
I ask him why he bought 4x4, his answer was "becouse I have garden and need to haul away yard clippings".
Few more answers and turn out that from his 1/8 acre property, he needs once a year clippings haulings.
So roughly he had additional cost of $2000 today's dollars of driving 4x4 just to have 4x4 when "he needs it" once a year.
That was San Francisco East Bay with average 15 rainy days a year.

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/19 07:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I worked with a guy who traded his 4x4 for a 2WD to save money, maintenance costs, and he said that he never needs 4x4.

That year, he got stuck on the same beach his family liked to go to several times and had to pay a tow truck each time. Later that winter, he stayed home from work a few days because he couldn’t get out of his driveway/subdivision. So, he bought chains because he needed to go on the other side of Cascades and also to get out of his driveway/subdivision when it snowed. He found it a pain to put on chains since he never had to before with his 4x4 since they were exempt. That spring, he got stuck on a boat launch when he volunteered to tow a friends boat to the Sound. After seeing how bad it was, he asked others to drive when he went hiking and fishing so they wouldn’t get stuck.

He had enough and decided to trade for a 4x4. The dealer lowballed him because they had a hard time selling 2WDs, and he said never again..

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/19 11:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good one Jim
Only shows how many variables real life can have and all the forum whining can go only so far.
1 note thought. My story is truth.

* This post was last edited 11/01/19 08:41am by Kayteg1 *   View edit history

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/19 09:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

1 note thought. My story is truth.

Jim don't believe anyone..Everything is staged..If it isn't notarized,don't post it for Jim to read..(laffin)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 22  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> 2WD or 4X4 for a truck camper
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.