|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> 2WD or 4X4 for a truck camper

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 22  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 11/02/19 08:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

srschang wrote:

Frankly when somebody writes that 4x4 doesn't cost in thousands over the life of the truck, I think he must be idiot or liar.
Anybody can come with different explanation?

Just entered my truck, 2015 Ram 3500 4x4 diesel into a couple different used car price websites - KBB, Edmunds, NADA. Looks like it will be worth ~$3000 more when I trade it in vs the exact same truck in 2wd.

The 4x4 option cost me $2465 when I ordered the truck new. Huh.

Scott

Yup,then ad the transfer box gear oil changes plus the front differential oil changes,there spendy..Just to have my rear differential changed at a dealer would be super expensive versus doing it myself..More drive lines/U-Joints and worse gas mileage plus a better ride..

A 4X4 doesn't come without the extra maintenance cost,I know,I have two 4X4's..

This is my beater 4X4 I use just to get wood close to town..I don't use it over my 2WD DRW around town in the snow..To squirrely..

[image]

Fixed it doing it differently

* This post was edited 11/02/19 08:21am by jaycocreek *

1994 F-350 DRW /460/k&n intake /415# torque/lance 9.6/3 gr 27 batteries/Honda 2k/Honda 3K/Reese solid bar extension/buddy heater/3 inverters/3/4" Horse mat cushion-Non slip/happi Jack tie downs /Firestone bags /Yamaha Rhino/Winch/locker UTV/Zieman trailer

srschang

Western NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/02/19 08:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yup,then ad the transfer box gear oil changes plus the front differential oil changes,there spendy..Just to have my rear differential changed at a dealer would be super expensive versus doing it myself..More drive lines/U-Joints and worse gas mileage plus a better ride..

A 4X4 doesn't come without the extra maintenance cost,I know,I have two 4X4's..

This is my beater 4X4 I use just to get wood close to town..I don't use it over my 2WD DRW around town in the snow..To squirrely..

Guess there's a difference with the newer 4x4s. The first 4x4 maintenance called for on my truck is change the transfer case oil at 120,000. I will sell/trade it long before then. It never calls for changing the front differential oil. Probably because the front hubs unlock when I take it out of 4wd. 90% of the time, when the truck is in 2wd, all the 4wd hardware just sits there not spinning.

So, to bring this somewhat back on course for the OP, my take is it depends how you will use your truck. If it will be 100% with the TC on it, I could go either way, as I don't use my truck camper in the winter. But since I drive my truck (without camper) most days through the winter, I need 4wd here in the snowbelt south of Buffalo, NY. Can't get up my driveway without it.

2020 Ram 3500 SRW Crewcab Longbed Cummins, 2019 Northstar 12 STC

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 11/02/19 08:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jaycocreek wrote:

Quote:

In the state that I live in the "big thousands dollars" that will cost you is when you try and sell a 2wd pickup. You wont get squat for it.

I sure do not understand that..Marysville Utah gets about 1/2 the national average of snow a year that others do..We get double that and my old 2WD ford F-250 sold for what I payed for it on the first looker..Ours is a community of Loggers and Ranchers that use there pickups hard.

McCall Idaho where I spent over 40 years living and working out of,gets 5-6X the snowfall you get there and 1/2 the town drives 2WD's..A good pickup in 2WD or 4WD sells easily if the price is reasonable..

I guess that is one of the big differences in Utah and Idaho..Just one.LOL

Sorry but I don't live in Marysvale.

Yep, they both sell if reasonably priced and the 2wd will be priced substantially lower than the 4wd.

Check the resale value for yourself.

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd Regular cab.
What real trucks really look like.
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
6580 lb truck 10540 fully loaded

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 11/02/19 10:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jaycocreek wrote:

You did a drive by huh....

I’ve driven by/through a lot of towns. Btw, I have no issue with staying home during inclement weather when you are in a beautiful place, and McCall is that as well.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 11/02/19 12:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

From RV net archives on 2WD vs 4WD..

As for rough roads, steep surfaces, loose surfaces, a 2wd truck will roll in it just like a 4wd truck. People forget that 4WD wasn't around in production vehicles until the start of World War I, and then it was special order or custom made. Before then and even after, people drove millions of 2wd vehicles around everywhere, and there wasn't paved roads in lots of areas until the 1950's. So to say that 2wd's can't go anywhere doesn't hold up. Yes people got stuck, and they winched themselves out, but to say that only a 4wd can go someplace isn't exactly true. I've driven a 2WD into some places that guys with 4WD were afraid to drive through. It depends on the driver and the level of skill and common sense they have to determine if they will get stuck or not.

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/19 09:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey Jim..You forgot this part..Laffin..And it was from a long time RV.Net poster...

I've driven a 2WD into some places that guys with 4WD were afraid to drive through. It depends on the driver and the level of skill and common sense they have to determine if they will get stuck or not.

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/19 09:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No, I didn’t forget that part. Posting a long time at rv.net or doing anything for a long time doesn’t mean you know what you are talking about. Also, someone else being afraid to go somewhere with a 4WD doesn’t mean it wouldn’t go there.

The key part remains though ... that author said 2WD got stuck and had to be winched out. That’s the central point of the whole thread. You say 2WD are just as good as 4WD, and that still isn’t true even if you quote something in the archives.

For those who don’t know, it doesn’t have to be particularly old to be in archive or have any particular amount of wisdom. It’s just an older post.

Nice try though jaycocreek to try to add some anonymous proof, but as noted, it didn’t quite work.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/19 11:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Many years back friend bought new 4X4 pickup, with big plans to cut firewood on his land and sell it in town. After the 2nd winter most of firewood money had gone to bodyshop because the trees would not get out of his way. I had a rusted out 3/4 ton 2WD. I had bought only for the 283. We stuck a I6 in the truck and hauled it to his place. About 5 years later, I looked at that old truck. Still ran, no glass, 1 fender, no left door, the right was plywood, just to keep saws from falling out. He uses it to pull trailer load of wood to the gravel, hooks up to his nice 4X4 truck, heads to town.

swines

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/19 10:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think you should buy what you want. Personally, I've had 4wd trucks since 1971. I got my first truck camper in 1991. I don't think I've been on a camping trip where I haven't used 4wd at least once. Sometimes for additional vehicle control, other times for traction. I find low range extremely useful for crawling slowly over rocky Forest Service roads.

For those people who don't need 4wd in snow - okay - good for you. I grew up in Michigan. My father didn't believe in either limited slip differentials or snow tires. Honest - I know how to drive in the snow in 2wd with bias-ply, nylon, highway tires without getting stuck. I simply prefer not to do that kind of driving, as 4wd provides far more control.

I could cite numerous examples of my use of 4wd with a camper, but I'm not sure it would make any difference to those who have made up their minds that 4wd is a waste of money.

But, here are just a few examples - maybe you'll understand why I have chosen 4wd for use with my camper.

I've been in mud so deep I had to put chains on the front wheels to gain steering control so I wouldn't end up in a ditch 50 miles from any type of help. I've been on Wolf Creek Pass in a blizzard. I've been through Titus Canyon in Death Valley. I've woken up in Seligman, AZ greeted by a fresh, 10-inch snow fall, and then had to drive I-40 through Flagstaff at 30 MPH in a continuing snow storm. That's only a few examples of my use of 4wd with a camper.

If you never do those kind of things with your camper and truck - you don't need 4wd. If you DO want to do those kind of things in 2wd - have at it. I know I don't.

* This post was edited 11/15/19 10:48pm by swines *

KKELLER14K

BEAVERTON OREGON

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/19 11:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WOW..I have 40 acres outside of Peach Springs off route 66.. Fantastic place to camp out...the weather can turn on a dime been there at 14 degrees and fresh snow...lol. 5000 feet altitude. REALLY... back to the OP question. What type of insurance do you want to buy? Well, what you want to do and where and what will you do and go with your TC? It is a simple question you have to ask yourself. No one is doing anything wrong...we all have a purpose as to how we use our mobile shelters. Regardless, IMHO, I prefer to lean towards something with a little bit more traction. You may never need it but when you do and learn how to use it..remember this..even using a granny gear to get on blocks it is worth it.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 22  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> 2WD or 4X4 for a truck camper
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.