RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Questions about pulling a fifth-wheel with a half ton TV

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Questions about pulling a fifth-wheel with a half ton TV

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
LeBout

Ontario, Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/25/19 07:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know from getting Trailer Life Magazine that there are half-ton towable 5th Wheels being made, but what I don't know is if they are practical. And I have a short bed F-150 (Supercrew) and although I've heard that some hitches with work with a short bed I've never talked to someone who actually does it. Is there anyone here who has that kind of experience who can answer my questions?

2008 Fleetwood Wilderness 240RKS
2013 Ford F-150 3.5L Eccoboost Supercrew 4x4, Max tow package
Barker VIP 3500 Power Jack
2 Honda 2000 watt Generators
Eastern Oregon, USA

Our Floorplan
Days camped so far in 2019: 17

Likes to tow

Huntington WV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/25/19 07:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I met a fellow in Colorado last month who was pulling the identical 5th wheel as mine and he was driving an F150 heavy duty with tow package and the 3.5 Eco Boost. He said it did a good job and had ample towing ability in the mountains. I pull mine with a Ram Cummins and was interested in talking with him because he had the same trailer but less truck. Our 5th wheels were Grand Design Reflection 27 RL models. Same year and everything. I know that Grand Design stopped making the 27RL the model year after 2017 but came out with a similar model. I have seen this new model at my local dealer and it is a very practical comfortable looking unit. Hope this helps you

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/25/19 07:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Crazy talk. Been doing exactly that 14 years running. No issues. I have the older Superglide hitch. Watch your pin weight.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Likes to tow

Huntington WV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/25/19 07:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Also, both of our trucks had a short bed with slider hitch. Keep in mind Ford offers two short bed models. His was same as mine or 6 1/2 foot. I have no problems with using this set up and have actually never used the slider function of my hitch. However I am careful in very tight turns.

TXiceman

Full Time RVer

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/19 08:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First, I don't like short bed trucks for pulling a 5er. Next with a 1/2 ton truck, you need to make sure the loaded pin weight of the trailer, plus other cargo in the truck does not exceed the trucks payload capacity.

Ken

Amateur Radio Operator.
2013 HitchHiker 38RLRSB Champagne, toted with a 2012, F350, 6.7L PSD, Crewcab, dually. 3.73 axle, Full Time RVer.
Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/19 08:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would not want any truck/fiver combo that gets within 80% of the trucks GVWR. Only because you may end up hitting the bump stops on a regular basis and that doesn't make for a very nice ride and can be really hard on the hardware.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/25/19 08:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ScottG wrote:

I would not want any truck/fiver combo that gets within 80% of the trucks GVWR. Only because you may end up hitting the bump stops on a regular basis and that doesn't make for a very nice ride and can be really hard on the hardware.

I would love to know the person that started the 80% rule!
I carried a 32’ 12,500# 5er with our 2001 Ram 2500, I was 1,700# OVER GVWR and just under rear GAWR, don’t ever recall hitting the bump stops, heck hardly got to the overload springs!

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/19 08:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rhagfo wrote:

ScottG wrote:

I would love to know the person that started the 80% rule!
I carried a 32’ 12,500# 5er with our 2001 Ram 2500, I was 1,700# OVER GVWR and just under rear GAWR, don’t ever recall hitting the bump stops, heck hardly got to the overload springs!

My post has nothing to do with the 80% "rule" (which I have NEVER promoted). And that rule was generally about not pulling more than 80% of your trucks rating.
You were also using a HD truck. A half ton is more likely to hit bump stops because the suspension is setup for a better ride.
For anyone to actually suggest someone exceed their GVWR is bad advice.

* This post was last edited 10/25/19 09:25pm by ScottG *   View edit history

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/25/19 08:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I will add as a park host we see some pretty crazy setups towing 5ers, many of the 1/2 tons don’t look bad. Lighter 5ers that might be pushing GVWR, but as long as tire is good, almost all are level!

romore

Okanagan valley British Columbia

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/19 09:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have the 5 1/2' box you won't be able to tow a fifth wheel. With the hitch over the axle the trailer nose will be too close to the cab to allow turning. My current fiver, an old 25' Prowler, grosses at 5600# which puts close to 1200# on the hitch probably maxing out your truck. IMHO, stay with a tt or get a heavier tv.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Questions about pulling a fifth-wheel with a half ton TV
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS