|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Now that is a big Truck Camper

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
burningman

Seattle, WA USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/19 05:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think the 20,000 pound payload might be a stretch. That truck is only legal for 32,000 total, it hasn’t got the axles and tires for more.
This looks cool but it’s a terrible rig to drive. The ride in these cabovers is horrible!
Off road you have to crawl or you’ll beat yourself and the camper to death.

I’d sooner use an old Peterbilt 359 or 389, with a real engine and air ride suspension.
At least they drive nice.

2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

lakeside013104

North America

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/29/19 02:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice pictures RR. Thanks for sharing.

Lakeside

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/19 08:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RobertRyan wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

You can buy similar trucks in the USA and as long as they are not used for commercial operations, I don't think you even need a commercial drivers license in most states.

No you cannot buy Japanese Trucks like these in the US, they do not exist. I do not know if the F650-F750 trucks have a 4x4 option.

All the Ford F-series trucks up to the F750 offer 4wd as an option.

Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate Car Carrier 20-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX 8.75-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE-VW TransBuggy 1200

discovery4us

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/29/19 08:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I saw one of these at an offroad expo a few years back and was quite impressed. Got home and visited the local Isuzu dealer and was disappointed. A class 4 model was the biggest they offered and it had the little 200 HP 400 ft/lb. torque diesel. Lots of nice options with 4x4, four doors, air seats and cabs, lots of different electronics from cameras to radios.

They did say that there was a class 6 model that would get the GVWR up to 29,000 lbs. but it still had the little diesel power plant.

hornet28

Muskegon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/29/19 09:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Those remind me of these. We saw these N.E. of Missoula in late June. I didn't get to talk to the owners but was told they were on a world trip.

[image]

[image]

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/19 09:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Zoom in on this picture and you will see Austrian military vehicle converted to motorhome.
We spoke to the owner in Alaska. He is Austrian-American and imported the vehicle to USA for his travels.

[image]

RobertRyan

Australia

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/19 12:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

discovery4us wrote:

I saw one of these at an offroad expo a few years back and was quite impressed. Got home and visited the local Isuzu dealer and was disappointed. A class 4 model was the biggest they offered and it had the little 200 HP 400 ft/lb. torque diesel. Lots of nice options with 4x4, four doors, air seats and cabs, lots of different electronics from cameras to radios.

They did say that there was a class 6 model that would get the GVWR up to 29,000 lbs. but it still had the little diesel power plant.

You do not have the heavy Isuzus in the US, where you are looking at 100,000 or vastly more GCVWR. Isuzu, UD, Mitsubishi and Hino all produce 13-15litre engines for very heavy work, their so called Medium Trucks are very heavy.
Far cry from what you can get in the US as far as Japanese Trucks go. European Trucks have similar lineups, but they have 700hp+ engines they you do not get in the US
All Japanese and European Trucks have 4x4 Trucks like I have posted in my original photos

* This post was edited 10/29/19 01:22pm by RobertRyan *

RobertRyan

Australia

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/19 12:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bedlam wrote:

RobertRyan wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

You can buy similar trucks in the USA and as long as they are not used for commercial operations, I don't think you even need a commercial drivers license in most states.

No you cannot buy Japanese Trucks like these in the US, they do not exist. I do not know if the F650-F750 trucks have a 4x4 option.

It appears you can but they like Cabover Trucks all with airride suspensions as Expedituon vehicles or carrying Truck Campers

RobertRyan

Australia

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/19 12:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

Zoom in on this picture and you will see Austrian military vehicle converted to motorhome.
We spoke to the owner in Alaska. He is Austrian-American and imported the vehicle to USA for his travels.

[image]

European Truck manufacturers have 4x4 versions similar to the Japanese

RobertRyan

Australia

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/19 12:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RobertRyan wrote:

Bedlam wrote:

RobertRyan wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

It appears you can but they like Cabover Trucks all with airride suspensions as Expedition ivehicles or carrying Truck Campers

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Now that is a big Truck Camper
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.