|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Gm 2500HD GAS VS DIESEL

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
kw/00

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/27/19 05:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Guys I keep hearing you get money back from selling or trading in your diesel... not always the case... the same diesel trucks used on the lots around here with 200k are still sitting there...and they still want 25k plus for them... yep still sitting on the dealers lots.... people know that there’s so much more that goes wrong on trucks, gas or diesel with high miles.. I played around with the car/truck market for a few years here and there. If you buy a diesel it’s because u want it......or just need it for pulling the load... you can justify it anyway you want to. I really don’t care, in the end it comes down to what someone will pay for your truck. Period... just like 4 wheel drive... it all comes down to what the dealer or buyer will give u. Don’t always rely on the blue book... dealers go with the black book instead... who wants any truck with high miles... repair cost has to play into the equation, and if the truck has been deleted... well if you buy that truck... then I feel for ya.... So really the gas verse diesel threads or debates just get petty after a while... both engines are still being produced, gas power plants are getting larger and more capable, while Diesel engines have got so complex but very powerful. EPA is on the loose hammering down on those rolling coal.....So what does your pocket book say? Needs verse wants?

A truck, a camper, a few toys, but most importantly a wonderful family.

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 10/27/19 07:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fact: Diesels get better MPG.
Fact: Used diesels sell for more than gas. Check any reputable source you want.
Fact: Diesels have lot more power.
Fact:The price of admission to the diesel club
is high.
Fact: staying in the diesel club (once you have paid the initiation fee) is very reasonable.
Fact: Diesels because of their better MPGs have more range than gas... This to me is a big deal, that doesn't get the press it deserves.
With a range of only 200 miles or so, a gas truck needs to start looking for a trailer friendly fuel station very soon after filling up. A big pain in ********

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FBP, 3, 8K axles, Disc Brakes
17.5 LRH commercial tires
300 watts solar,
2020 Silverado High Country CC DA 4X4 Big Dually.

kw/00

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/27/19 07:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Glad you stated all the so called facts... but not one size fits all, for u I’m glad. For others it doesn’t work that way. It is what it is... diesels are not the cure all but neither is gas. Again, I don’t buy into all the facts.... different markets, lots of variables and tons of so called experts everywhere.

ls1mike

Bremerton

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/27/19 07:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Huntindog wrote:

Fact: Diesels get better MPG.
With a range of only 200 miles or so, a gas truck needs to start looking for a trailer friendly fuel station very soon after filling up. A big pain in ********

I easily get close to 300 in my 2017 3500HD 6.0.

Now my old big block yep, you would be correct, but that was 1989.

Depends on how much you are lugging around too.

Mike
2017 Chevy 3500HD 6.0 Crew Cab Long bed
2012 Passport 3220 BHWE
Me, the Wife, two little ones and two dogs.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/27/19 08:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Windfall? Selling a diesel pickup?
Only if I can find about 50 of the ones that I can buy for the same price as a gasser.....
They’re out there. Where Valhalla lives apparently.
Otherwise, yeah, no one said you’re going to retire on the profit of selling your old diesel truck. Only that it’ll be worth more than the same gas hog next to it on the car lot.
BUT, you guys may have a point. The way some otherwise “normal” folks take care of vehicles I can see the potential for a diesel not bringing a good resale value. I mean just because it’s a diesel, ifnits a dirty, Rusty, banged up, ill-maintained pile of poop when you go to sell it, then yeah it probably won’t fetch many greenbacks. Stupid diesel trucks....

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/27/19 08:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That’s how I bought the old Tahoe recently for cheap. It has potential....now. But if the lazy arse owner had actually cleaned it up, did a few repairs and actually made it look like it had been well cared for and well maintained, it would have brought close to 2 grand more. Which is close to 30% more, talking those numbers on an old vehicle.
Same applies to a diesel. Pile of s = less money.
So the moral of this story is, if you’re cheap, lazy and a slob with your vehicle, your best off to buy a gasser because you won’t throw away as much money doing so.

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 10/27/19 09:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kw/00 wrote:

Glad you stated all the so called facts... but not one size fits all, for u I’m glad. For others it doesn’t work that way. It is what it is... diesels are not the cure all but neither is gas. Again, I don’t buy into all the facts.... different markets, lots of variables and tons of so called experts everywhere.

The only advantage a gasser has over a diesel is cheaper initial cost.
ALL other performance factors will favor diesel.
I challenge you to point out a performance parameter that a gasser does better than a diesel.

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

PaulJ2

Northwest Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 10/27/19 10:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

kw/00 wrote:

I challenge you to point out a performance parameter that a gasser does better than a diesel.

Starts and warms quicker on a freezing cold morning.

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/27/19 10:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just a couple things,
When we sold our 2001 Ram 2500 with 315,000 miles, I got just shy of $10,000 for it. We had bought it eight years earlier for $14,000 with 234,000 miles. So for a 18 year old truck with 314,000 miles don't think that is too bad.
A gasser would have gotten maybe $1,500.

The rest is just choice, yes maintenance is more, not going to break the bank more just a bit more.

What surprises me is the number of diesel TV we see coming into the park towing pulling TT that come in way under 10,000#. They don't need the diesel, they buy it for ease of towing.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/19 12:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PaulJ2 wrote:

Lantley wrote:

kw/00 wrote:

Starts and warms quicker on a freezing cold morning.
Not so anymore. One of the only benefits of EGR (in any motor) is faster warm up.
My 2001, without EGR, would take forever to warm up. My 2011 with EGR produces heat almost instantly.
I personally have never had any EGR problems in my diesels. I have heard of it happening. Same goes for EGR in gas motors, except I personally have had trouble with EGR in them.

So on balance, I am not a fan of EGR.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Gm 2500HD GAS VS DIESEL
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.