|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> replacement for Directv

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Big Katuna

Deland, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/10/19 07:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can not use a Hopper with the Winegard Pathway.

I tried using the Hopper and a Joey with a tripod and the correct LNB but it was too big of a pain to take the Hopper, Joey and Access point out to the rv.

Not to mention DISH boxes have a slow meter so it was a pain to align the dish.

Now I just leave them at home to grind away downloading shows and use the Pathway.

I hope someday Winegard or someone comes out with an auto align dome that works with a Hopper.

My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

georgelesley

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/10/19 08:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Big Katuna wrote:

I tried using the Hopper and a Joey with a tripod and the correct LNB but it was too big of a pain to take the Hopper, Joey and Access point out to the rv.

Now I just leave them at home to grind away downloading shows and use the Pathway.

I hope someday Winegard or someone comes out with an auto align dome that works with a Hopper.

Yep, the hopper is limited to full sized dishes. Since we have dish at home, it just makes sense for us. No extra cost to use it on the road after we paid for the proper equipment.

I mentioned the hopper since the OP stated he has Direct already at home, he might consider switching home as well for convenience.

George & Lesley
2014 Itasca Sunova 33C, 2019 Jeep Cherokee Lattitude Plus toad, Demco/SMI towing system

dryfly

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/19 02:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

georgelesley wrote:

Big Katuna wrote:

Yep, the hopper is limited to full sized dishes. Since we have dish at home, it just makes sense for us. No extra cost to use it on the road after we paid for the proper equipment.

I mentioned the hopper since the OP stated he has Direct already at home, he might consider switching home as well for convenience.

Yes, thanks, I would consider changing at home as well. Can the Hopper be taken out of the RV and used at home with a fixed dish antenna?

If that were the case, I would not use the "pay as you go" program. I would do what I now do with DTV and just use the Hopper as one of my home receivers and transfer to the 5th wheel as needed.

georgelesley

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/12/19 04:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dryfly wrote:

georgelesley wrote:

Big Katuna wrote:

Yes, thanks, I would consider changing at home as well. Can the Hopper be taken out of the RV and used at home with a fixed dish antenna?

If that were the case, I would not use the "pay as you go" program. I would do what I now do with DTV and just use the Hopper as one of my home receivers and transfer to the 5th wheel as needed.

Yes. We move ours back and forth between home and rv. I did put slide on leads and extended the leads from the wall at home to make it easier to hook up and disconnect. I also put a short very flexible hdmi cable in the rv from the original hdmi cable to the hopper since a 90* adapter would not fit.. And also got the dish ota adapter for the rv install so the locals show up in the guide and can be recorded as well although the same thing can be done by calling dish to switch the locals. I do suggest when calling to switch locals use option 4 tech support on the menu, they seem to know how better and get it right.

The only thing is when you switch between home and the rv for us anyway, is that I have to run a check switch (test installation) the first time I turn on the hopper in each location. Takes a few minutes. After that no need. You may also have to switch the locals back to your home area.

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/12/19 05:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can also do the exact same thing with ANY DTV hardware including the Genie and Genie 2. You just need a full sized antenna mounted on a tripod or an auto point roof antenna like the Winegard Trav'ler (no domes).
Move the equipment between RV and home seamlessly.

What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

ol Bombero-JC

USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/23/19 04:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cavie wrote:

switch to dish!!!!!

Least complicated, and best answer to the question.

However, if you want lots and lots of options - - you're off to a good start, - - just like the pages and pages you mentioned.

[emoticon]

~

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/23/19 04:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeah, not. I love my DTV!

dryfly

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/19 11:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bill.Satellite wrote:

You can also do the exact same thing with ANY DTV hardware including the Genie and Genie 2. You just need a full sized antenna mounted on a tripod or an auto point roof antenna like the Winegard Trav'ler (no domes).
Move the equipment between RV and home seamlessly.

Well, that kinda gets back to my OP. I feel carrying, and aiming a full size SlimLine antenna mounted on a tripod would be a pain. Right now I'm more than pleased to sacrifice SD for HD reception and just have to deal with an 18" round antenna. I have no interest in a roof mounted antenna.

I too have been more than happy with DTV for 20 years but I can see that in the future Dish being a much better option for RVing unles something changes.

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/02/19 05:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DTV is removing all SD programming early 2020. That might push you to another choice depending upon what HD programming is broadcast from the 101 satellite. An HD receiver will be required and no one has any idea which channels will be available.

edatlanta

Maplesville, AL - Home Base

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/03/19 03:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bill.Satellite wrote:

Yeah, not. I love my DTV!

I love my DTV too Bill since 1995.

Aiming a tripod mounted Slimline dish is a piece of cake. I use the signal strength meter built in to the Genie and a wireless baby monitor so I can see and hear it from outside where the dish is. Takes minutes to aim.

At my home base site I have a ground mounted Slimline so all I have to do it hook up the coax.

Works for me.

Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> replacement for Directv
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS