|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> replacement for Directv

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/26/19 04:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dennis1949 wrote:

got letter from AT&T today in mail Said going to stop SD service and I needed to upgrade my equipment at no charge. There was not a date saying when this was going to happen Just said soon

The expected date of this change is currently "early" 2020. If you have receivers capable of receiving ONLY SD programming you MUST update. If you have any receiver model that starts with an H (H24, HR24, etc.) then you do not need to update your receiver.

What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/26/19 04:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dryfly wrote:

I know there have been endless discussions on Directv vs. Dish on this forum. I'm interested in the latest update.

I personally use Directv at home and will transfer one of my receivers to the 5th wheel when traveling. Only needing standard definition, I've carried an 18" round dish for years, and when unable to aim at a satellite, I enjoyed the recorded programs on the DVR.

Well, now it's getting close to Directv's ending of the broadcast of SD signals, so what's my best/cheapest solution? Get one of the Directv self aiming cube type antennas that will receive HD signals, or look at a Dish system that can be dedicated to the 5th wheel, and only activated for one month periods when needed?

Any suggestions appreciated.

If you want to continue to use DTV after they drop the SD broadcast you "might" be able to use a portable dome. Right now, the portable domes cannot receive ANY HD programming. When the change-over happens the domes WILL be able to receive HD programming (assuming you are using a HD DTV receiver (model # starting with an H). The problem is that you will only receive the DTV programming coming from the 101 satellite and it is my speculation that this means you will only get 1/3-1/2 of the DTV channels. I am pretty sure that there will be NO local Network programming (but possibly DNS Networks). No telling what else might or might not be there.
If you want ALL of the DTV programming in HD today and the best of DTV programming in the future you should purchase a Winegard Trav'ler and never speak of satellite TV issues again!

bgum

South Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 10/26/19 04:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When AT&T ends SD there will be a mad rush to Dish. There will be less than 0 reasons why To stay with Direct TV.

dryfly

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 10/26/19 06:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Big Katuna wrote:

I’ve had both and DISH is WAY more RV friendly. You can reauthorize your sat box with your smartphone. DISH doesn’t care if you change locals everyday.

I bought a carryout auto seek dome Winegard Pathway X2. It does HD.

You can’t use a Hopper but the Wally is ok. You can add a USB drive to use DVR feature, no monthly fee. Just a one time $40 DVR fee.

Way better tech support than DTV.

Yeah, anything would be better than DTV tech support!!

Your suggestion is one of my considerations, but cost wise, I'd probably be better off using one of my current DTV receivers and buying a new HD automatic sat antenna.

The Dish Wally/antenna and $40 pay as you go is ideal if you are just getting started, but I'm not sure if it would be best for me. I'll sure keep it in mind.

One thing I've noticed is that the Dish portable automatic satellite antennas are a little less expensive than those for DTV. I assume they all work well.

dryfly

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 10/26/19 06:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bill.Satellite wrote:

dryfly wrote:

I know there have been endless discussions on Directv vs. Dish on this forum. I'm interested in the latest update.

I personally use Directv at home and will transfer one of my receivers to the 5th wheel when traveling. Only needing standard definition, I've carried an 18" round dish for years, and when unable to aim at a satellite, I enjoyed the recorded programs on the DVR.

Well, now it's getting close to Directv's ending of the broadcast of SD signals, so what's my best/cheapest solution? Get one of the Directv self aiming cube type antennas that will receive HD signals, or look at a Dish system that can be dedicated to the 5th wheel, and only activated for one month periods when needed?

If you want to continue to use DTV after they drop the SD broadcast you "might" be able to use a portable dome. Right now, the portable domes cannot receive ANY HD programming. When the change-over happens the domes WILL be able to receive HD programming (assuming you are using a HD DTV receiver (model # starting with an H). The problem is that you will only receive the DTV programming coming from the 101 satellite and it is my speculation that this means you will only get 1/3-1/2 of the DTV channels. I am pretty sure that there will be NO local Network programming (but possibly DNS Networks). No telling what else might or might not be there.
If you want ALL of the DTV programming in HD today and the best of DTV programming in the future you should purchase a Winegard Trav'ler and never speak of satellite TV issues again!

Current domes won't receive 110 & 119 satellites?? I'm wondering if they might move more HD content over to 101. It's already up there and you would think they gotta use it for something.

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 10/26/19 10:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dryfly wrote:

Also, I enjoy loading up the DVR with programs for when we are in an area where satellite (or internet) is not available.

DVRs are dying fast. A laptop or a tablet does the same function and you can "cast" the video to pretty much any of the devices I listed before.

Personally, I think satellite TV (as we currently know it) is on it last legs also.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 10/27/19 01:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As we already have cell phones, the cost to upgrade to unlimited data...we dropped the dish.

As long as standard definition is fine, even when they throttle you, it's not a big deal.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/27/19 06:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dryfly wrote:

Bill.Satellite wrote:

dryfly wrote:

Current domes won't receive 110 & 119 satellites?? I'm wondering if they might move more HD content over to 101. It's already up there and you would think they gotta use it for something.

DTV no longer uses 110 at all and 119 is only used for some specialty programming, mostly in other languages. ALL of the DTV programming comes from 101 plus 99 and 103. The domes cannot receive either 99 or 103. If you look on the roof of a DTV home (or my RV) you will see a single LNB which contain a triple LNB for 99,101,103. The antennas no longer even have a 110 or 119 LNB.

dryfly

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 10/27/19 06:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bill,

Interesting. I guess I assumed, since the DISH Playmaker Bundle with Wally provides HD that the DTV auto antennas did the same.

Have you ever tried the single/triple LNB on one of the old 18" X 20" antennas? Any chance it would receive 99,101&103?

I fully agree satellite TV is on it's way out, but for residential use I'm not so sure the new OTA ATSC 3.0 may be the future.

2oldman

Ca

View Profile

Posted: 10/27/19 11:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bgum wrote:

When AT&T ends SD there will be a mad rush to Dish.
To continue watching SD?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> replacement for Directv
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS