|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> water heater anode rod

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
Rwake901

Central, Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/26/19 01:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How often should I replace the water heater anode rod and are they pretty much all the same when it comes to purchasing one? Thanks

garyp4951

TN

View Profile

Posted: 10/26/19 01:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On my last fw I replaced mine with a plastic plug.

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/26/19 01:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It all depends on water quality and the quantity used. I replace when it is about half depleted or the wire looks weak near the fitting.

Rwake901

Central, Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/26/19 01:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is the first RV that I’ve had that has an anode rod our other campers/motorhomes just had a plug. I took the anode rod out to drain the water heater and I thought it looked pretty ate up after only one season. Is this normal?

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/26/19 01:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

It all depends on water quality and the quantity used. I replace when it is about half depleted or the wire looks weak near the fitting.

This is a good method. According to Suburban you should drain the heater when not in use, so plenty of opportunities to check it. The rods are cheap as is teflon tape around the threads, and I suppose Suburban has a good reason for using them in their water heaters.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/26/19 01:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rwake901 wrote:

This is the first RV that I’ve had that has an anode rod our other campers/motorhomes just had a plug. I took the anode rod out to drain the water heater and I thought it looked pretty ate up after only one season. Is this normal?

Yes. I consider replacing it just a part of annual maintenance. And this is my first MH with a Suburban heater. All the others were Atwood. This will also be my last MH with a Suburban.

cavie

Port Charlotte Fl/ Hindsdale MA

View Profile

Posted: 10/26/19 01:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

garyp4951 wrote:

On my last fw I replaced mine with a plastic plug.

If you have a suburban WH you MUST have an anode rod. If not your tank will destroy it'self. Anode rod is sacrificial. you wanna spend $15 or $300.00

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

cavie

View Profile

Posted: 10/26/19 01:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

Weak at the fitting is not a problem. When it all looks a think as a pencil it's time to change.

cavie

View Profile

Posted: 10/26/19 01:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rwake901 wrote:

Yes. Change if the rod looks like a pencil. Atwood is SS and needs no rod. Suburban is glass line steel and need an anode rod.

cavie

View Profile

Posted: 10/26/19 01:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wildtoad wrote:

Lynnmor wrote:

This is a good method. According to Suburban you should drain the heater when not in use, so plenty of opportunities to check it. The rods are cheap as is teflon tape around the threads, and I suppose Suburban has a good reason for using them in their water heaters.

Atwood is aluminium. needs no rod. Suburban is glass lined steal and must have a rod.You must drain the water in the winter to prevent freezing and breaking the tank.

* This post was edited 10/27/19 03:48am by cavie *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> water heater anode rod
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS