|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> water heater anode rod

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
Sponsored By:
wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/29/19 06:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the input on how to solve my issue with the water heater. Just saying, that I have tried all of the suggestions except perhaps the soak in vinegar but didn’t think it would help when brand new ones do the same thing.

Lynnmor I use your method as I do not want to even look at that valve during the process.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004

zigzagrv

Nazareth, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/29/19 06:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Ron if too much telfon tape is used the rod won't work because the treads need to touch the tank's treads. The reason I switched to pipe compound. Also the tank needs to have an air chamber. The relief valve can leak because of no place for the water to go when hot."

Larry, I don't use Teflon tape or pipe compound. Just a thin coating of grease on the threads so they don't seize/rust.

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
Master Tow dolly
Toyota RAV4

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/30/19 01:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As luck would have it I had to have my small 6 gallon water heater, used to support the kitchen of my log cabin, replaced as the top rusted out. Here are some things I observed. One, is it lasted about 10 years with zero maintenance, never replaced the anode rod, never drained it. Never liked crawling under the house. When my friend the plumber removed the old unit, we drained it in the yard. Lots and lots of broken sludge, bits and pieces of metal, just basically a disgusting mess. After replacing this small one, we drained the main wh (40 g) for the house and it had some sludge but nothing like what the little one had. It too has had no maintenance until just now, but it’s still going.

Upon reading the manual for the new unit, I read that the anode rode is important to prevent the tank from rusting, and should be inspected every three years or so. In the same section the manual states that artificially soften water INCREASES the need for the anode rod due to the softening process.

So I guess I’m adding change the rod in more than just mh.

On another topic, I asked him about the relief valve/closed systems/ drip issue that many of us have with Suburban who’s. His first response was that I should put a small expansion tank on it. So he is going to get one and install it. BTW he mentioned that it is now code for new construction (at least here) that wh’s have an expansion tank.

Informative yet expensive morning

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/30/19 03:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wildtoad wrote:

After replacing this small one, we drained the main wh (40 g) for the house and it had some sludge but nothing like what the little one had. It too has had no maintenance until just now, but it’s still going.

So was there anything left of the anode in the 40 gal. water heater?

larry barnhart

wenatchee. wa usa

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/19 11:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

this is what I know. We winter in Az for 6 months. I drain the water heater during the winter and then flush the white crud out from the terrible water here. Once I uses more than enough telfon tape and then noticed later when cleaning again the rod was looking like when I installed it. Plus some rust in the water when draining. I replaced the heater when we were home just because. Also had an older friend that has his neighbor replace the rod with a plug and a valve to drain the tank and the water was a mess with rust. The vinegar cleans the relief and the deposits that were on the valve were gone that could not seal. A lite tap on the end helps if water is leaking. Nice to hear all of the comments above. Never know everything even when my wife tells me"you think you know everything" chevman

chevman
2001 35 ft avalon alpenlite RK
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy
easyrider/reese airhitch
trailair center point suspension
JT Strong Arm Stabilizers
KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Goostoff

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/19 08:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I took it out and tossed it. Replaced it with a valve. When the weekend it over I open the valve and drain the water heater. This also makes winterizing easier as well. Been doing this for years and never had an issue. We are regular campers and really dont need to drain it but if you dont camp ofter you want to drain it anyway just so the water doesnt turn nasty and stink up the camper as soon as you run the hot water

1993 Chevy C3500
2005 Cedar Creek 34RLTS

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/19 03:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As mentioned all depends on the water. Just checked mine today and flushed out the tank. Tank was very clean. This has 3 full years of full time use. Mostly West coast.

Be sure to turn off the water heater switch!!!

I use, Permatex 56521 High Performance Thread Sealant, 50 ml $12.49 AMAZON. Use it on any pipe fittings like fill and drain on my transfer case.

[image]

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> water heater anode rod
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS