RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Yes boys and girls, you REALLY need to carry a spare...

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> Yes boys and girls, you REALLY need to carry a spare...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
Sponsored By:
Desert Captain

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 10/26/19 06:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This pic does not show it but the the tire split right down to the rim and scattered tread for about 50 yards:

[image]

[image]

Left last Tuesday for a week on the Colorado River at Ehrenburg. On Monday {as is my habit before every trip} I took the Class C into Discount Tire to have the tires checked and aired up to my specs - 65 on the front and 75 on the rears}. "You are good to go, tires look fine and are aired up as per your request." We were towing our Polaris Rzr in the 10' cargo trailer and running pretty close to our GVWR of 11,500#.

We were 107 miles west of the River when my left rear {outside} Michelin grenades. Now the shoulder of Interstate 10 west of phoenix is no place e you want to spend any time but spend time we did. I got us completely off of the pavement and called Coach Net {for the first time in 10+ years}. They got a guy out to us in about an hour. In the mean time I placed three emergency triangles at 25, 50 and 75 yards behind our rig and my bride and I got as far away from the coach well back from the shoulder and waited.

The guy from the towing company was driving a half ton pick up but had all of the requisite tools. Said he would have us gone in ten minutes... 45 minutes later we were on our way. When the tread separated it ripped the mudflap nearly off and wedged it between the two tires and bent the mudflow steel support frame. I thanked him profusely and tipped him a twenty.

Yesterday I called the nearest Discount Tire store {In Yuma} and made an appointment for 1030 this morning. The tire that exploded had a DOT Code of 50/13 making it about 5.5 years old... yep, my bad, should have replaced it sooner even though it looked great. Found two others that also looked fine {same DOT Codes} and replaced all three and my spare returned to its mount under the rear of the coach {Thank you Nexus for the outstanding custom mount they installed 4.5 years ago.

Bottom line... without a spare ready to deploy we would have been up the proverbial creek and would have spent considerably more time in "The Dead Zone - aptly named, on the shoulder of one of the busiest interstates in the country.

Without a spare they would have had to dispatch a full on tow truck equipped to install a new tire on the old rim and I shudder to think what that tire would have cost {assuming they had one available}.

I carry all of the tools needed to change a tire but I will be 68 next month and really had no desire {and not much ability} to crawl under the rig and make it happen.

For the record 3 new tires, installed and I was out the door {in an hour} for a little over $700. Discount has the highest prices of any major chain but their customer service is excellent and they are almost everywhere. I was in no position to shop the tires so bottom line... problem solved and I drove home once again a happy camper.

Seriously folks... get yourself a spare!

[emoticon]

Lwiddis

Veterans’ Park, Monterey, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/26/19 06:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I never go without a spare for the TV and TT.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 10/26/19 06:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

looks like you avoided more serious damage by getting it pulled over. I agree with needing to carry a spare. You never know when a tire might give out.

1996 Suburban 4x4. 350, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

MDKMDK

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/26/19 06:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Glad you got that situation sorted as easily as you did. Bit of luck and a bit of foresight go a long way.

I have nothing but good things to say about Discount/America's Tire shops. Have dealt with them regularly for about 9 years and never disappointed. Price-wise, they've always done good by me.

Mike.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/26/19 06:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My last trip with the suv and trailer, I blew a trailer tire on the way out. Managed to get off the road within a couple seconds (fortunately there was a wide shoulder area right past where it blew. Called AAA and they had a truck out within the hour. He put on my spare. Like you, I could have done it myself, but honestly that's why I have AAA, etc.

A couple days later at the campground, I noticed one suv tire was low. So I inflated it. On the way home, one of the trailer's "no load hitch" tires went flat. This time, I just switched it for the spare myself. Made it home without further incident.

A week later, the suv tire was flat again. Aired it up and went to America's Tires. Had two screws in it. They plugged the holes, checked the other tires, including the spare - no charge. All part of their service when you buy tires from them.

Will be ordering all new tires for the trailer in the next month from America's, as well as a new spare for the suv. Next year, will replace all the clipper's tires, including spare.

Yep, I always have a spare tire on all my vehicles.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

ron.dittmer

North-East Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 10/26/19 07:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yep, carrying a spare is what I always do. And I also carry everything needed to change the tire. I have handled our front E350 tires when changing shocks at home. I assume handling the rears would be the same.

I am not well built, never was, just ask my wife. Yet I am able to handle tough tasks including E350 tires for some strange reason, even lifting them. It must be "leverage" or something, or maybe it's because I never beat up myself over the years over-doing extreme sports and such. No injuries of any kind. I have no artificial joints nor do I need them, was never operated on, and get good annual check-ups. I got lucky in that regard. Just hours ago I stacked very heavy oak logs in a 20' x 5' row, am tired but fine. I had my 61st birthday this year.

Even if I could not change a tire myself, I am equipped to with help.

* This post was edited 10/26/19 09:49pm by ron.dittmer *

2007 Phoenix Cruiser model 2350, with 2006 Jeep Liberty in-tow

twodownzero

NM

View Profile

Posted: 10/26/19 08:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Glad you got it fixed safely. I don't know what your individual corner weights are, but that doesn't sound like enough air pressure.

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/26/19 09:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had an inner dually let go. I carry an 8 ton bottle jack and a battery operated hammer wrench. Piece of cake changing the tire.

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2011 Harley Ultra Limited
2016 RZR 900

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/26/19 10:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

twodownzero wrote:

Glad you got it fixed safely. I don't know what your individual corner weights are, but that doesn't sound like enough air pressure.

On our E450 based 24 foot Class C I run in the tires what is on the door (Ford?) sticker ... and I "assume" that this pressure is what's recommended to carry it's maximum rated chassis weight of 14,050 lbs.. That pressure is 80 lbs. in the rear tires and 65 lbs. in the front tires. I keep the spare at 80 lbs. too.

FWIW, I carry along:

1. A spare.
2. 2 trucker rated tire inflation cans.
3. 1 trucker rated puncture repair kit.
4. 1 12 ton extra-extension hydraulic jack.
5. 1 high pressure 120V compressor that the built-in genny can power.
6. 1 heavy duty long handled lug nut wrench.
7. Several boards that can be used to block tires so as to anchor the motorhome and support the jack base on a soft surface.
8. A Coach-Net policy.
9. A satellite based communicator device in case cell phones can't get out.

(We sometimes explore off-highway along the Colorado River south of Interstate 10 looking for rocks - but I'm not sure I could change a tire out there in the soft sand on the Arizona side of the river. [emoticon] )

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca Spirit 24V

js218

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 10/27/19 05:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Glad everything worked out, I carry 1 drive, 1 steer for my rig and 2 spares for the trailer'

2017 Haulmark 45' Super C 600hp, 12 speed I shift transmission, tandem drive axles, 3 stage engine brake, towing 26' trailer with an 08 explorer inside.
Jim

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> Yes boys and girls, you REALLY need to carry a spare...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS