RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Yes boys and girls, you REALLY need to carry a spare...

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> Yes boys and girls, you REALLY need to carry a spare...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
DutchmenSport

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/27/19 06:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good advise. Happened to us also last March. I had a spare, but I did not have the jacks, but Roadside Assistance did. I ended up getting 4 new tires once we reached our destination (Indianapolis to Charlotte NC). We purchased the trailer new only 6 months earlier.

[image]

ron.dittmer

North-East Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 10/27/19 06:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

js218 wrote:

I carry 1 drive, 1 steer for my rig
Hmmm.... drive and steer use the same wheel and tire. One standard steel wheel spare covers both, even if you have alloys. What chassis model and year do you have?

The Toyota chassis from the 70's through to 1986 was the only chassis that had different front and rear wheels. I know because I owned one for 24 years. The DRW axle came years later through a recall, introducing the difference from the front wheels.

2007 Phoenix Cruiser model 2350, with 2006 Jeep Liberty in-tow

jjrbus

FT Myers FL

View Profile

Posted: 10/27/19 06:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RV'ers seem to be mislead on proper tire inflation pressure. I have been accused of trying to act like an expert on this. I have found a video by Michlen tires that explains how to weight the rig and use a load and inflation table for PROPER inflation of the rigs tires. So it is no longer my experience and opinion, it is by Michlen who may just be experts on tires.

I do not much care what Randy the RV guru said, I will listen to Michlen. They also have a couple good videos on RV blowouts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wb7W-nRAPrk&t=471s

Disclaimer, I do not know if anyone here is named Randy and if so it was not directed towards you, only meant as a pun.

js218

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 10/27/19 07:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chassis is a Volvo tandem drive axels class 8,drive and steer are 2 different tires

2017 Haulmark 45' Super C 600hp, 12 speed I shift transmission, tandem drive axles, 3 stage engine brake, towing 26' trailer with an 08 explorer inside.
Jim

js218

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 10/27/19 07:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

8 XDN2 all season drive tires, 2 X Line Energy steer tires all Michelins 11R 24.5 Load Range H.

Desert Captain

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 10/27/19 07:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

twodownzero wrote:

Glad you got it fixed safely. I don't know what your individual corner weights are, but that doesn't sound like enough air pressure.

I always inflate {and adjust} for the load I will be running as it can vary by almost a thousand pounds depending on whether or not {and what} we are towing/loading. We often run at or very near our max GVWR of 11,500# {I have a 2011 E-350 chassis - the coach is a 2012}. I have 3,800# on the front axle and 7,700# on the rear. Per the Michelin load/psi tables I run at 65 psi front and 75 rear adding in a 10 percent fudge/safety factor. The ride and handling are awesome. I am running HD Bilsteins and tow with my air bags at 50 psi with excellent results.

Running the fronts on most 25' or less Class C's at 80 psi per the door stickers {which are a bad joke}, will reduce the contact patch to the point that it will handle like a pig on skates and be blown all over the road by passing trucks and/or cross winds. Putting 80 in the rears would be serious overkill las at 80 they are rated for 2,640# of load X 4 = 10,560# to carry a 7,700# load. This also creates a very stiff ride that will beat you to death and shorten tire life.

[emoticon]

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 10/27/19 09:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Miners, chukkar hunters and people driving to Alaska usually carry two spares.

I have had three flats in one day or two different occasions. Sharp basalt is the worst.

LOG

Austin, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/27/19 10:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Running the fronts on most 25' or less Class C's at 80 psi per the door stickers {which are a bad joke}, will reduce the contact patch to the point that it will handle like a pig on skates and be blown all over the road by passing trucks and/or cross winds. Putting 80 in the rears would be serious overkill las at 80 they are rated for 2,640# of load X 4 = 10,560# to carry a 7,700# load. This also creates a very stiff ride that will beat you to death and shorten tire life.

[emoticon]
Most Michelin tires for a 25' or less Class C would have a load rating of 2,470# in a dual wheel configuration. Please provide the tire size.

LOG
2005 Chinook Glacier

bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/27/19 10:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Desert Captain, thanks for taking the time to share your story and posting the pics.
When we were class 'c' shopping last year, a spare tire as OEM equipment was a must. We too use CN road service and have been happy the 2x we had to use it.
The way you handled the roadside safety was textbook professional.
I'm glad you are both safe and that's the real bottom line. [emoticon]

ernie1

Sacramento,California,USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/27/19 12:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My rv did not come with a spare and I made sure that I got one along with a carrier at the rear. Friends with a similar rv snickered at the thought of me having a spare tire and having to change it myself. Well I'm 76 years of age and haven't figured out that I'm supposed to be old and feeble yet. When I have to change tires I just deploy the BigFoot jacks and wrestle the tires off and on. Not a problem!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> Yes boys and girls, you REALLY need to carry a spare...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS