RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: Starlink supposedly will be available in 2020

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

 > Starlink supposedly will be available in 2020

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
WVcampground

WV

Full Member

Joined: 10/18/2019

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/01/19 07:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

trail-explorer wrote:

Bill.Satellite wrote:

I don't know why Timmac believes DirecTV or DISH killed his dog but it's time to get over it!


Where is there information about a dog being killed?


I don't know if there is any info about his dog being killed but it sure looks like Timmac has killed a couple of horses with a stick LOL. [emoticon]

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

Senior Member

Joined: 12/25/2012

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 11/01/19 04:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Come on folks, get real! It a joke. Timmac is mad as heck with satellite TV providers for no known good reason. He has been posting ramblings about the death of satellite TV at any opportunity for quite some time. The countdown goes on, and on, and on, and on........I guess he is the one and only person on the Planet who knows what's going on so he wants to make sure that everyone understand that his self-proclaimed prophecy WILL happen despite any proof to back it up.


What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Gdetrailer

PA

Senior Member

Joined: 01/05/2007

View Profile



Posted: 11/02/19 03:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bill.Satellite wrote:

Come on folks, get real! It a joke. Timmac is mad as heck with satellite TV providers for no known good reason. He has been posting ramblings about the death of satellite TV at any opportunity for quite some time. The countdown goes on, and on, and on, and on........I guess he is the one and only person on the Planet who knows what's going on so he wants to make sure that everyone understand that his self-proclaimed prophecy WILL happen despite any proof to back it up.


You know, even a broken analog clock is correct twice a day..

Perhaps in 30, 40, 50 yrs from now his fantasy, er, "prophesy" might come true [emoticon]

He doesn't seem to understand that it took nearly 25 yrs AFTER the little mini dishes were introduced to finally kill off consumer programmers selling sat programming on the BIG "C" Band.

I used to work for a big C band dish installer back in the late 1980s. I personally used Big Dish until around 2005 - 2006 ish. Around 2006 the last programmer was General Instruments and they decided that there was no longer enough C band consumers to continue selling to non commercial customers..

Technically, C Band distribution is STILL alive and kicking today, that is still how all cable companies and even DTV and Dish get their programming. EVERY channel you can find on cable, DTV or Dish IS being sent up to C band satellites then down linked to the facilities.

Hate to break it to him or anyone else who has this fantasy of free or low cost Internet from Mr Musk, not gonna happen. The supposed "target" price of service is $80 per month, does not state how fast or even if data capped..

Pretty darn good chance with adding so many more of this space junk that the cost WILL be far more than quoted (hints of Tesla cars here), will not work as well as advertised.

Satellites REQUIRE constant monitoring and course adjustments which is all done pretty much by humans, not so much by computer. Humans must interact.. That means there must be a control station(s) and people to operate the stations and putting up hundreds to thousands of little satellites that are not in a geosynchronous orbit is going to be an extremely costly operation..

And that is just assuming only the control, not the actual Internet payload connections..

Might see it cost $160 or more a month if you are lucky..

Musk is a modern day PT Barnum and lots of folks follow everything he says without question..

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

Senior Member

Joined: 12/25/2012

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 11/02/19 05:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Where the heck is the LIKE button when you need one. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

timmac

Las Vegas

Senior Member

Joined: 03/20/2006

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 11/02/19 09:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gdetrailer wrote:



Musk is a modern day PT Barnum and lots of folks follow everything he says without question..


Elon is putting rockets in space for about half what NASA does and the rockets return back to earth to be reused..

Elon is also not the only company putting multiple satellites in space to beam down internet, everyone needs internet and since you pay for internet that everyone needs nowadays might as well stream all your programs and movies while you have internet.

No need to pay a $100 a month for junk channels on cable/satellite TV service since you are paying for internet..

17 months and 8 days...

* This post was edited 11/02/19 09:26pm by timmac *

WVcampground

WV

Full Member

Joined: 10/18/2019

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/03/19 05:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

timmac wrote:

Gdetrailer wrote:



Musk is a modern day PT Barnum and lots of folks follow everything he says without question..


Elon is putting rockets in space for about half what NASA does and the rockets return back to earth to be reused..

Elon is also not the only company putting multiple satellites in space to beam down internet, everyone needs internet and since you pay for internet that everyone needs nowadays might as well stream all your programs and movies while you have internet.

No need to pay a $100 a month for junk channels on cable/satellite TV service since you are paying for internet..

17 months and 8 days...



I wonder how most cable providers provide both television and internet and get away charging for both?

Perhaps you should look into those businesses and how they interact. Want the short answer? Because you won't be streaming most providers /channels unless you pay someone. Start adding up all the subscription costs. Netflix / Prime / _______ /_______ etc. Those fees are not going away no matter how it gets to you.

Now its different if you want to watch nothing but internet baloney, Youtube, and in your case the Fantasy channel.

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

Senior Member

Joined: 12/25/2012

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 11/03/19 06:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Timac's World has nothing at all to do with reality. Let him lives his fantasy. Just understand that it is a fantasy.

timmac

Las Vegas

Senior Member

Joined: 03/20/2006

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 11/03/19 06:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WVcampground wrote:




I wonder how most cable providers provide both television and internet and get away charging for both?

Perhaps you should look into those businesses and how they interact. Want the short answer? Because you won't be streaming most providers /channels unless you pay someone. Start adding up all the subscription costs. Netflix / Prime / _______ /_______ etc. Those fees are not going away no matter how it gets to you.

Now its different if you want to watch nothing but internet baloney, Youtube, and in your case the Fantasy channel.


The reason cable companies are still providing both is many over 40 years of age have not gone full streaming and many don't understand how it works, I have 2 brothers that are still stuck in the cable world even though they have internet at there house.

You don't need cable to get 95 percent of the programs on streaming anymore, that to is going away, you need to check out Roku box and learn something.

Cable/satellite TV service has few folks signed up under 30 years of age, streaming growing by the thousands daily.

As to cost for streaming it is far cheaper if you know how it works and don't add extra channels that you don't need, many are free.

My total household and RV streaming is around $400 a year for thousands of programs, movies, sports, news, etc, 10 times the content than cable/satellite and many programs are commercial free.

My monthly internet is not included in the above cost because I need internet for my business so I might as well go ahead and stream down all my TV programs/movies for cheap while I have internet anyways.

The younger generation including my 2 daughters in there mid 20's already sees the savings and better content for cheap since they all have internet and don't see why the slow older generation is paying $100 a month for a few junk channels loaded with commercials..

[emoticon]

WVcampground

WV

Full Member

Joined: 10/18/2019

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/04/19 06:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

timmac wrote:

WVcampground wrote:




I wonder how most cable providers provide both television and internet and get away charging for both?

Perhaps you should look into those businesses and how they interact. Want the short answer? Because you won't be streaming most providers /channels unless you pay someone. Start adding up all the subscription costs. Netflix / Prime / _______ /_______ etc. Those fees are not going away no matter how it gets to you.

Now its different if you want to watch nothing but internet baloney, Youtube, and in your case the Fantasy channel.


The reason cable companies are still providing both is many over 40 years of age have not gone full streaming and many don't understand how it works, I have 2 brothers that are still stuck in the cable world even though they have internet at there house.

You don't need cable to get 95 percent of the programs on streaming anymore, that to is going away, you need to check out Roku box and learn something.

Cable/satellite TV service has few folks signed up under 30 years of age, streaming growing by the thousands daily.

As to cost for streaming it is far cheaper if you know how it works and don't add extra channels that you don't need, many are free.

My total household and RV streaming is around $400 a year for thousands of programs, movies, sports, news, etc, 10 times the content than cable/satellite and many programs are commercial free.

My monthly internet is not included in the above cost because I need internet for my business so I might as well go ahead and stream down all my TV programs/movies for cheap while I have internet anyways.

The younger generation including my 2 daughters in there mid 20's already sees the savings and better content for cheap since they all have internet and don't see why the slow older generation is paying $100 a month for a few junk channels loaded with commercials..

[emoticon]


It might be all new to you but I have had Roku for about 10 years, and every part of the country is not exactly like your neighborhood in terms of what is or will be available for internet access. BTW you need that access to stream anything. Its great Starlink will provide that service to the entire surface of the Earth. What remains to be seen is what that access is going to cost the typical subscriber and what bandwidth limits will be imposed, because their will be limits. It matters not how you're getting the content, you're still paying for it.

I would like to know where you're getting your high speed bandwidth to stream as much as you claim? $400 a year? You're getting that bandwidth for $33.33 per month? What a load of BS.

Thank you for educating us all how this stuff all works. [emoticon]

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

Senior Member

Joined: 12/25/2012

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 11/04/19 06:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TIMMAC MAKES A GREAT POINT IN HIS LAST POST. HE IS NOT DOING ANY OF THIS IN AN RV!!!!!!
His fantasy becomes even more obvious when you understand he's in a house posting BS on an RV forum.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

 > Starlink supposedly will be available in 2020
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS