RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: Starlink supposedly will be available in 2020

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Starlink supposedly will be available in 2020

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
joebedford

Finally back home in the north

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/19 06:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

timac DID say that the $400 does NOT include internet access.

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/04/19 07:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

But he doesn't bother to mention things like data caps and lack of cellular coverage. It's an entirely different ball game out here. If this was a home internet forum I would likely agree with some of his concepts (other than sat TV going away). But it's not and I can't.

What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

WVcampground

WV

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/19 07:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

joebedford wrote:

timac DID say that the $400 does NOT include internet access.

Yes he did, my bad.

It's really of no concern. I'm [emoticon] why I even jumped into this miscellaneous foolishness and pile of Bovine dung. Especially so after going back and reading some of his other zingers on the subject. [emoticon] [emoticon]

joebedford

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/19 07:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use streaming and sat. at my stick house. I pay for Netflix, Prime and Crave + internet. There are a lot of other things I could stream but I need my sat. account to login. Streaming doesn't come close to eliminating my need for sat.

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/19 08:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

timmac wrote:

WVcampground wrote:

I wonder how most cable providers provide both television and internet and get away charging for both?

Perhaps you should look into those businesses and how they interact. Want the short answer? Because you won't be streaming most providers /channels unless you pay someone. Start adding up all the subscription costs. Netflix / Prime / _______ /_______ etc. Those fees are not going away no matter how it gets to you.

Now its different if you want to watch nothing but internet baloney, Youtube, and in your case the Fantasy channel.

The reason cable companies are still providing both is many over 40 years of age have not gone full streaming and many don't understand how it works, I have 2 brothers that are still stuck in the cable world even though they have internet at there house.

You don't need cable to get 95 percent of the programs on streaming anymore, that to is going away, you need to check out Roku box and learn something.

Cable/satellite TV service has few folks signed up under 30 years of age, streaming growing by the thousands daily.

As to cost for streaming it is far cheaper if you know how it works and don't add extra channels that you don't need, many are free.

My total household and RV streaming is around $400 a year for thousands of programs, movies, sports, news, etc, 10 times the content than cable/satellite and many programs are commercial free.

My monthly internet is not included in the above cost because I need internet for my business so I might as well go ahead and stream down all my TV programs/movies for cheap while I have internet anyways.

The younger generation including my 2 daughters in there mid 20's already sees the savings and better content for cheap since they all have internet and don't see why the slow older generation is paying $100 a month for a few junk channels loaded with commercials..

[emoticon]

How do I watch TV when out camping where there's no 4G?
Not everyone lives like you do. Last thing I want to do is be tied to 4G when out camping. Come out west young man and you'll see that your fantasy is greatly compromised.

joebedford

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/19 08:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's what Starlink is for - you're never without [emoticon]

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/04/19 06:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

joebedford wrote:

That's what Starlink is for - you're never without [emoticon]

Never? You need to do a little more research! Clear view? Trees? Parts of the Country not covered or only covered for predefined periods? Yes, maybe 100% (assuming clear view) in 20 years and 100's (1000's?) of satellites, but everyone everywhere at an affordable price? Take a look at what happened when Iridium tried the same thing a number of years back.

joebedford

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/19 07:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It was a sarcastic comment.

SoonDockin

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/19 07:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm gonna sign up as soon as possible. Using my att cell data is often sketchy. Being able to have internet every where I go so I can stream shows will be great. Yes i will need to make sure I have clear sight to the sky. Easy enough. My home internet costs a lot for the slow speed I get. I'll be happy to ditch that service asap.

2019 Ford F450 KR
2018 Arctic Fox 1140 Dry Bath

timmac

Las Vegas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/04/19 10:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WVcampground wrote:

I would like to know where you're getting your high speed bandwidth to stream as much as you claim? $400 a year? You're getting that bandwidth for $33.33 per month? What a load of BS.

No the $400 per year is what I pay for programs such as Netflix, Amazon Prime and a few other channels, adds up to about $400 per year does NOT include my internet service, my business pays for my internet and I think that is about $40-$45 per month unlimited 20 Mbps speed at my house and $20 for my hotspot for the RV..

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Starlink supposedly will be available in 2020
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS