RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Remanufactured parts rant.....

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Remanufactured parts rant.....

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
romore

Okanagan valley British Columbia

View Profile

Posted: 10/27/19 11:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would like to know where I can buy a Cummins water pump for 60 bucks, I'll take all you have!! I went to Ford for a starter on my 97 Ranger, they sold me a reman as oem was no longer available which is common for older vehicles. A year later I am replacing it again, it was not an easy job and I was not happy.

SidecarFlip

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 10/27/19 11:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

Couple years ago alternator in my 2001 Ford gave up 1500 miles from home. Picked up a NEW one at O'Reilly's in Gillette WY with a lifetime warranty. Working fine so far. You can bet they will get it back if I have issues.

What exactly is a 'lifetime warranty' anyway. When it ***** out, it's exceeded it's life so the 'lifetime warranty' is no longer good.

2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/27/19 11:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The warranty is good for MY life or the life of O'Reilly. Whatever comes first.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

BenK

SF BayArea

View Profile

Posted: 10/27/19 12:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FYI on alternators

DO NOT jump start another vehicle (bad battery) while your (good battery) engine is running

The bad battery/starter will draw +hundreds of amps (inrush) from the highest voltage source...your good battery vehicle's alternator system

That will punch holes in your alternator's semiconductors (diodes and transistors), in both alternator and regulator. Most don't die instantly...just die slowly over time. Symptoms like unable to charge the battery fully, low & spike voltage and other electrical gremlins

Best to hook up both vehicles while they are not running. Then start the good battery vehicle and let it charge the bad battery for 10-15 or minutes. Turn off the good battery vehicle and leave both hooked up. Then start the bad battery vehicle. Remove the cables

NAPA used to be my to after all the local mom'n pop auto supply closed or bought up by national chains (then managed by pure bean counters...bottom line folks who did not manage their product). Read that NAPA changed hands about that time frame

Moog a ditto. Used to be my go to for front end components (HD). Read that they too were taken over by bean counter management (corporation)

Rant on...

This article sums up my bean counter rants in one page that used to take several...plus Angus MacKenize is one of my fav automotive editors. Written about 13 years ago, but continues to be spot on.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/the-big-picture-22/

Same can be said for most things in today's world...see it all the time when someone(s) start a business with GREAT product/services. Grows into local chain/franchise...get bought out by huge corporation, who plug in their management...most times pure bean counter/wall street types who only manage their bottom line and EPS

-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

ShinerBock

SATX

View Profile

Posted: 10/27/19 02:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

romore wrote:

I would like to know where I can buy a Cummins water pump for 60 bucks, I'll take all you have!! I went to Ford for a starter on my 97 Ranger, they sold me a reman as oem was no longer available which is common for older vehicles. A year later I am replacing it again, it was not an easy job and I was not happy.

This was years ago and they have actually gone down since then.

$49.95 Geno's Garage
Cummins water pump.

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 10/27/19 03:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

yep stpped going to napa years ago. same junk as the others .and I think auto zone has gone down hill as well.

Dave H M

IL

View Profile

Posted: 10/27/19 03:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

The warranty is good for MY life or the life of O'Reilly. Whatever comes first.

I always keep those life time warranties in the glove box. Never had to put one to use.

BenK

SF BayArea

View Profile

Posted: 10/27/19 04:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Been there, done that with ‘life time warranties”....just begets lots of practice using their warranties...

For me, develop relationships with the managers and staff...they will tell if reman’s are coming back often and which ones do not

It is also risky at OEM parts counters...they are also run by corporate bean counters...cheapest at any cost (cheap as in both lower cost and quality)...this is also fueled by the purchasing public (us), who insist on the cheapest at any cost...

Another example as with severe duty fan clutches. NAPA stood behind there warranty, but after three, talked to the manager. He acknowledged and told the counter guy to get the TRW version. It’s been in my Sub over 10 years IIRC

In between the above cycles at NAPA, tried O’Riley’s and didn’t purchase after trying to convince the counter guy that there was a severe duty...he said kept saying there is only a HD version...

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 10/27/19 05:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

long ago I gave up on most aftermarket parts, reman or new unless I knew the new part was exactly the same part as a new OEM part. Yes, OEM new parts are usually somewhat more expensive, but my experience is last WAY longer. Especially alternators and water pumps. At one time I did have a local guy that would rebuild GM alternators with better than OEM parts for about the same price as NAPA reman parts. Those I did go with and they were reliable. But alas, he is no longer around.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

blofgren

Surrey, B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 10/27/19 09:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Blofgren, I’m at about 170k clicks. Voltage regulators are cheap and fairly easy to replace. Seem like a common failure point in my recent interwebs searches dealing with this yesterday. Also seen a bunch of accounts of the vr spiking and killing other electrical systems.

Thanks for the info, I’ll check into it. I like to be proactive and take care of common issues before they become a PITA at the least convenient time. This is my first GM so still learning about them. One thing I’ve found is that these older GM suv’s seem to be pretty tough and are quite easy to work on! [emoticon]

You found a good one with that low mileage, though! [emoticon]

2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, RAM 20k sliding hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Remanufactured parts rant.....
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS