RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Remanufactured parts rant.....

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Remanufactured parts rant.....

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/27/19 11:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ShinerBock wrote:

romore wrote:

I would like to know where I can buy a Cummins water pump for 60 bucks, I'll take all you have!! I went to Ford for a starter on my 97 Ranger, they sold me a reman as oem was no longer available which is common for older vehicles. A year later I am replacing it again, it was not an easy job and I was not happy.

This was years ago and they have actually gone down since then.

$49.95 Geno's Garage
Cummins water pump.

Why does this seem so strange?
Virtually the same water pump since the 6bt's inception and at least for the trucks, OE Cummins pumps have always been about $160. Even the older model Ram Cummins pumps are $165 at Genos. How are the new pumps only $50, cheaper than gates pumps even?
Goodwill from Cummins for having a bad batch of pumps in the 4th gens?

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/27/19 11:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

The warranty is good for MY life or the life of O'Reilly. Whatever comes first.

Great. But until Oreilly comes out and delivers and installs a new (whatever part) when I'm in the side of the road at 2am 75 miles from a town, replacing a prematurely failed _____, I'm not real horny about cheap reman parts.

ShinerBock

SATX

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/19 07:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

ShinerBock wrote:

romore wrote:

I would like to know where I can buy a Cummins water pump for 60 bucks, I'll take all you have!! I went to Ford for a starter on my 97 Ranger, they sold me a reman as oem was no longer available which is common for older vehicles. A year later I am replacing it again, it was not an easy job and I was not happy.

This was years ago and they have actually gone down since then.

$49.95 Geno's Garage
Cummins water pump.

Why does this seem so strange?
Virtually the same water pump since the 6bt's inception and at least for the trucks, OE Cummins pumps have always been about $160. Even the older model Ram Cummins pumps are $165 at Genos. How are the new pumps only $50, cheaper than gates pumps even?
Goodwill from Cummins for having a bad batch of pumps in the 4th gens?

Cummins and many other manufacturers will lower the price on something when they have a recall on it so they don't have to pay so much in claims. I remember when Delco Remy had a massive starter recall and they dropped the price from $1,200 to $500. When the recall was over it shot back up to $1,200 over night.

My current cost on that pump from Cummins is $37.60 and I sell it for $46.90 to a regular walk-in customer and $39.86 to a large fleet. The light duty market in general has much higher margins than the medium/heavy duty market. The average GP for the light duty market is somewhere around 50-60% versus 20-30% in the medium/ heavy duty market.

This is why I tell people with Cummins engines to get their parts from a medium/heavy duty dealership. All they need is their engine serial number and any of these dealers will be able to look up any part on their engine.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/28/19 09:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

time2roll wrote:

The warranty is good for MY life or the life of O'Reilly. Whatever comes first.

Great. But until Oreilly comes out and delivers and installs a new (whatever part) when I'm in the side of the road at 2am 75 miles from a town, replacing a prematurely failed _____, I'm not real horny about cheap reman parts.
The item was sold to me as a fully new (not rebuilt, not remanufactured part). I simply asked for the best alternator they have and paid the price.

My point was lost. The idea is to simply buy new and avoid reman parts.

Reminds me back when I turned wrenches to pay the rent... installed a water pump for a customer and it immediately leaked. Turns out the back plate was corroded so bad it had a small hole in it that covered up nicely with new paint. Never bought or installed a reman part since.

As far as coming out at 2am... I try to be sleeping at that hour. Besides when the oem did fail at 190k it was about noon and midweek. I begged three shops to do the work including the dealer but no dice. Easy money and non wanted it. They all said they were busy and maybe get it done the next day. NOBODY is coming out to fix your vehicle let alone do warranty work so you will have to get over that. O'Reilly had the part and a small tool kit and gave my battery a free recharge while I did the swap in their parking lot. O'Reilly was really good about it.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

drsteve

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/19 09:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I learned long ago... always buy new parts, and always choose the new parts with the best warranty.

I hate doing stuff twice.

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/19 09:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ShinerBock wrote:

Cummins and many other manufacturers will lower the price on something when they have a recall on it so they don't have to pay so much in claims. I remember when Delco Remy had a massive starter recall and they dropped the price from $1,200 to $500. When the recall was over it shot back up to $1,200 over night.

My current cost on that pump from Cummins is $37.60 and I sell it for $46.90 to a regular walk-in customer and $39.86 to a large fleet. The light duty market in general has much higher margins than the medium/heavy duty market. The average GP for the light duty market is somewhere around 50-60% versus 20-30% in the medium/ heavy duty market.

This is why I tell people with Cummins engines to get their parts from a medium/heavy duty dealership. All they need is their engine serial number and any of these dealers will be able to look up any part on their engine.

So you proved my point. Cummins waterpumps are only that cheap if you have the '13-new model pickup. Good deal for those folks, most of which only need one because theirs went TU prematurely.
I agree that the car dealer is 9 of 10 times the highest price place to buy parts and often a complete ripoff, but to say as a general matter of course you can get a OE Cummins waterpump for $50 is not a point worth arguing with someone about because that one model of pump is a special deal. Correct?

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/19 09:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

The item was sold to me as a fully new (not rebuilt, not remanufactured part). I simply asked for the best alternator they have and paid the price.

I agree 100%. Missed the NEW part, my bad.

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/19 02:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

time2roll wrote:

I agree 100%. Missed the NEW part, my bad.
I agree purchase new parts, a lot cheaper then paying the labor and having to do the job again.

ShinerBock

SATX

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/19 06:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

ShinerBock wrote:

So you proved my point. Cummins waterpumps are only that cheap if you have the '13-new model pickup. Good deal for those folks, most of which only need one because theirs went TU prematurely.
I agree that the car dealer is 9 of 10 times the highest price place to buy parts and often a complete ripoff, but to say as a general matter of course you can get a OE Cummins waterpump for $50 is not a point worth arguing with someone about because that one model of pump is a special deal. Correct?

Oh, sorry I was not arguing over it. I was just informing how it was where I work. Sorry if it came off as arguing. If you PM you serial number of you 5.9L, I can look up the dealer cost of the pump for you.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/16/19 12:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We cool... Although it would be interesting g to see what dealer cost actually is, because few years ago went to get a new pump for the 07 5.9.
Figured easy peasy since there's like millions of CR 5.9s and ISBs out there, right.
Well Cummins Northwest, no gots. Pape Kenworth NW, no gots.
Parts stores, only have cheapos and Gates pumps.
Hit up the ole Dosge dealer. Sure we got one guy says. Cool I say, I'll take it. Figured it might cost a bit more. Guy says $360 + tax sir!
Wtf? I said, sorry, thought I was at the parts counter not the service counter, I'm installing it my self. How much just to buy it?
$360 sir!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Remanufactured parts rant.....
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.