|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> True Truck Payload

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
work2much

Jackson Ca

View Profile

Posted: 10/27/19 05:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have had 3 trucks with 4 campers over the last 25 years. None of them were under GVWR. All of them were under Axle, wheel and tire ratings. GVWR is a licensing moniker. Most trucks could be stickered for a lot more based on the components used but registration classifications would push it into the next class and increase licensing and insurance costs. That's why the big three all have the same numbers. Not because they are miraculously exactly the same but because of licensing limits.

2017 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.
2018 Host Mammoth. 1080 Watts solar. 600 AH usable LFP battery. Magnum 2800 Watt inverter.
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited toad.

Lwiddis

Los Angeles area :(

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/27/19 05:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mark is just an “over all the time” guy.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

Lwiddis

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/27/19 05:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“Most trucks could be stickered for a lot more based on the components used but registration classifications would push it into the next class and increase licensing and insurance costs. That's why the big three all have the same numbers. Not because they are miraculously exactly the same but because of licensing limits.“

The Gospel truth! However, less you can prove it...which you can’t...not even from one manufacturer...your opinion isn’t worth a bucket of spit.

#1Flyboy

California

View Profile

Posted: 10/27/19 06:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And you’re gonna be a lot happier with a Dually!

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 10/27/19 06:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lwiddis wrote:

The sticker is theTRUE payload. The ONLY number backed up by the manufacturer. Find a new dealer.

Which sticker?
The one made by lawyers and listing taxable GVWR, where we all cheat on taxes?
Or the axle rating, given by manufacturer's engineers?

Lwiddis

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/27/19 06:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When you’ve been “stickered,” KAY, that’s your number. Ever hear of an “exit clause?” As in liability? As in warranty? You may, but I don’t, cheat on taxes, Kay.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/27/19 08:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Woohooo, the rvnut weight cops are out in full force with attitude!
Way to go boys! We’re into the dually thing and you’ll be hung at sunrise with a new rope if you disobey the sticker! On page 1 no less.
To the OP, there are volumes of discussions on this forum on this exact topic. Plenty to form your own opinion and plan of action.
Good luck buddy......and that salesman was also full of ____. Not because your truck isn’t likely far more capable than the mighty sticker, but because the front axle weight rating plays very very little into most axle weight equations as it’s rare that a truck camper adds a significant amount of weight to the front axle. Really only happens with short bed capable campers on long bed trucks. And even then it’s situationally dependent on how it’s loaded.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

otrfun

Desert SW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/27/19 08:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP, once you get all this payload stuff worked out to your satisfaction, you're going to go through the same thing trying to determine the true empty/loaded weight of any future camper.

Many recommend adding 1,000 lbs. to the "empty" weight of your camper to arrive at an approx. loaded weight. That's reasonable. However, good luck finding out the true empty weight prior to purchase. I've witnessed a few campers visit a CAT scale over the last year or two. Got to say I was mortified with some of the numbers. Not at all what I expected based on the manufacturer's empty weight claims---even those manufacturers that supposedly weigh their campers individually off the assembly line are suspect.

A lot of smoking mirrors out there. Good luck.

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 10/27/19 10:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I weighted my truck on a CAT Scale and subtracted it from the truck's GVW rating.

It came out that my cargo capacity was 2920 lbs. My camper weighed 2921 lbs.

I was over loaded. [emoticon] And as a result all four tires blew out, both front and rear axles busted and my brakes couldn't stop the truck when everything gave out and I crashed and totaled my truck and camper. [emoticon]

2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd Regular cab.
What real trucks really look like.
1995 Lance 945

towpro

Compass PA

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/19 05:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

to the original poster. The published payload also takes into consideration 1 person in every seat (don't know the formula for what weight per person) plus anything else you could carry. PLUS tong weight if towing anything.

But if you were to get weighed by DOT, they use your GVWR as your max weight loaded (also including tong weight on your truck, but not trailer weight)

Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz.

Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> True Truck Payload
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS