|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> True Truck Payload

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/19 03:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimh425 wrote:

Also, you can’t license your vehicle for payload as far as I know. You can license for Gross Vehicle Weight. So, trolling or simply wrong. [emoticon]

Yes, you are wrong and I will not comment on trolling.
Per my knowledge all states and provinces allow registering trucks at higher GVWR and since vehicle weight doesn't change, that come to higher payload.
That's how you see those 350, 3500 series trucks pulling 40,000 lb gooseneck car haulers all over USA and they get axles weighted at each DOT scales.

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/19 10:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Per my knowledge all states and provinces allow registering trucks at higher GVWR and since vehicle weight doesn't change, that come to higher payload.

My state is one that doesn't use any type of weight numbers to register our non commercial trucks.
Just the vehicles axle/tire load ratings are used in determining a over load condition not any type of weight number.

Fords F350 srw is a classic example how silly the yellow payload stickers are. F350 srw has 13 different gvwr ranging from 10000 lb up to 11500 lbs. We can get a F350 srw in the same configuration with a 11500 gvwr or a 10000 gvwr. Both are identical from the ground on up.... the only difference is the gvwr number and the payload sticker.

More input on the subject.....This paste and copy from a automotive engineer ;

***I'm a retired auto engineer and Marketing has a big impact on GVWR. As a engineer, it was our job to make sure the frame, brakes and powertrain components were designed well above the GVWR ratings that Marketing wanted, so we would design in a safety factor for each component. You don't really think we would build a truck and then test it to determine what the surprise GVWR number should be!
Axle ratings are also well above the GVWR rating and in commercial vehicles, axle ratings are the pay load determining factor and even they have a big safety factor designed into them.
It would be unusual for a lawyer to accept a overweight case unless it was grossly over the safety factor weight and even then a vehicle manufacture would not share that info because it is not a hard fast number that will break if one more pound is added.
There are many videos of million pound plus loads being moved by trucks across country. It's all about the axles.***

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/19 07:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

That's how you see those 350, 3500 series trucks pulling 40,000 lb gooseneck car haulers all over USA and they get axles weighted at each DOT scales.

It’s ok, but you are still incorrect. Here’s the CA form (your previous home state) for reference. https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/conne........06e349d4c7/reg4008.pdf?MOD=AJPERES&CVID=

They register for GVW and CGW.

Nevertheless, payload like GVWR doesn’t change since it’s based on GVWR. If you are talking about how much a vehicle can carry, I’d call that capacity because that isn’t listed on the sticker and could be subject to debate.

Also, btw, not all trucks list FAWR and RAWR, so if you want to use those, and it isn’t listed, you’ll have to look it up. In any case, as I previously noted, you have to go to a scale to know how much weight capacity you have left for Front and Rear. Otherwise, you won’t know what the distribution of the rest of the truck weight will be.

In summary, as I previously noted, payload is simply GVWR-vehicle weight. Weight capacity is not payload.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/19 07:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JIMNLIN wrote:

More input on the subject.....This paste and copy from a automotive engineer ;

***I'm a retired auto engineer and Marketing has a big impact on GVWR. As a engineer, it was our job to make sure the frame, brakes and powertrain components were designed well above the GVWR ratings that Marketing wanted, so we would design in a safety factor for each component. You don't really think we would build a truck and then test it to determine what the surprise GVWR number should be!
Axle ratings are also well above the GVWR rating and in commercial vehicles, axle ratings are the pay load determining factor and even they have a big safety factor designed into them.
It would be unusual for a lawyer to accept a overweight case unless it was grossly over the safety factor weight and even then a vehicle manufacture would not share that info because it is not a hard fast number that will break if one more pound is added.
There are many videos of million pound plus loads being moved by trucks across country. It's all about the axles.***

The truth. And tires fit this too.

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd Regular cab.
What real trucks really look like.
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
6580 lb truck 10540 fully loaded

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> True Truck Payload
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.