|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> Costs of things

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
Jayco-noslide

Galesburg,Il., USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/19 09:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

During our 40 years of camping; recently in a used 30 ft. Class C, we have always been cost conscious about everything from the purchase price of the RV to campground fees. But after totaling up the massive amount of money we've spent on this 15 year old MH over 7 years just on repairs, etc.(actually the depreciation on it isn't too bad) I think we need to put some costs in perspective. For example whether we pay $15 or $35 for a night or spend an extra $100 on gas it's all peanuts compared to all the costs of the motor home. Next time someone tells you how cheap they can travel in an RV, tell them to add in all the cost referred to above.

Jayco-noslide

Dick_B

Palos Heights, IL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/28/19 10:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I never thought of RVing as a way to save money vacationing. The biggest advantage of having your own rig is the convenience and comfort of having everything in the same place no matter where you roam. Even renting a cabin for a week or more isn't the same thing.
Usually we don't worry about the cost of something while `camping' until the bills come due the next month!

Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

westernrvparkowner

montana

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/19 11:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm reminded of the guy who spent the last 10 years complaining daily about everything that he hates about his car. Then it's time to trade it in and he tells the dealer it is the greatest thing since sliced bread and it's worth double any price the dealer is willing to give him. If a person wants to convince you RVing is the cost effective way to live or travel they are going to leave out anything that doesn't advance their argument. Things like repairs and depreciation are conveniently left out of their equations.
To me, RVing is a nice middle ground for vacationing. Sure, there are many ways to travel cheaper, just like there are many ways to travel more expensively. Thankfully, for me and many others how I vacation is a choice made out personal preferences, not financial necessity.

bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/19 11:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We rv because we travel with a dog and hate sleeping in beds that hundreds of other have slept in before us. We like having our own bathroom that's usually available 24/7 when we travel. Needless to say, we have not thought about how much it cost.
When people ask us we ballpark our mpg, repairs, food, camp fees and other rv related expenses. When the bill comes, we simply pay it and don't think twice.

RobWNY

Jamestown, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/28/19 12:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I get your point but it really is a cheaper way to travel if you put a price on things that you normally wouldn't. How much is sleeping in a bed without worrying about bed bugs worth? How about feeling good because you slept in a comfortable bed rather than the hard as a rock mattress in a hotel. How much is that worth? How much is it worth knowing what a black light doesn't have to reveal? How much is not having kids running and thumping on the floor above you worth? How much is knowing the rest of your living space is clean worth? How much money do you save by not having to eat in a restaurant for every meal? What about the friends you've made over the years. What's that worth to you? Yes the cost of the RV and repairs and fuel etc. isn't cheap but but why did you buy an RV in the first place? There's something you love about the lifestyle. How much is that worth? If you put a dollar value on everything, it's way cheaper than other ways to go places. I can't remember the last time I stayed in a Hotel and became friends with someone. Some of the things I've mentioned are priceless to me!

If God didn't want us to eat cows, he wouldn't have made them out of Steak and Cheese.

Life is a lot like a baseball pitch. Sometimes you get a fast ball down the middle of the plate and sometimes you get a curve ball in the dirt.

DutchmenSport

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/28/19 12:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Unless you are full time RVer and have no true stick-n-brick home any more, RVing is a hobby. Some call it a "lifestyle." I like to call it a "lifestyle", but really, it's not essential for my existence. If I lost the 5er, tow vehicle, and every physical item associated with the camper right now, I would still be fully functional in my stick-n-brick home. That's what I mean by "hobby."

Now think about this? When was ANY "hobby" ever cheap? Every "hobby" that folks have, costs more than they are actually "worth". We do our "hobbies" because we enjoy them. Price is NOT the object.

I completely agree with the OP. If someone is looking to RVing as a cost-effective way to live, they are in for a rude awakening!

ron.dittmer

North-East Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/19 12:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It helps immensely on cost of chassis maintenance if storing your rig indoors. Tires and disk brakes go bad so fast when storing outdoors. But a lot of other things also age quickly.

We bought our 23.5 foot RV E350 chassis rig new in 2007 and have always stored it in our dry under-the-house garage. It is kept cool in summer and warm in winter with no concern of rodents or insects. We average a low 3300 miles per year. After the initial investment in getting the suspension right when new, the only investment in chassis maintenance has been one battery, some air and oil filters, and motor oil. I did replace the shocks myself last year with heavy duty Bilsteins. Our tires are 12.5 year originals of which I plan to replace them prior to our next big road trip out west. Brake and transmission fluid changes are coming soon which I will be doing myself.

Our 2007 E350 chassis has been VERY VERY cheap to maintain. I am so glad we have the E350 and not a Sprinter diesel. I could never afford to own one of them. For one thing, we don't drive enough to justify such expense. You have to drive them a lot for any kind of financial benefit.

Today, our rig still passes as brand new to people who don't know any better. Indoor storage is "The Way To Go" if you can arrange it.

2007 Phoenix Cruiser model 2350, with 2006 Jeep Liberty in-tow

T18skyguy

Eugene, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/28/19 12:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I appreciate RV'ing for all the above reasons. I'm not sure what the tipping point would be for me to get out of it, but if I couldn't do my own repairs, that would be an incentive to leave it. I can well afford to pay other people, I just can't stand strangers touching my stuff.

Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. 2017 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS. Wife and daughter. Three cats which we must obey.

ron.dittmer

North-East Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/19 12:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

T18skyguy wrote:

I just can't stand strangers touching my stuff.
And I won't trust them. I've seen too much shoddy work done on other people's vehicles.

* This post was edited 10/28/19 01:02pm by ron.dittmer *

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/19 01:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1st off the whole idea of having an RV is a luxury. An RV is certainly not something you can't live without!. Luxury and economical are terms that generally don't belong in the same sentence.
Let's not be naive and pretend RV'ing is economical.
Let's also not be naive and think any hobby or pastime we choose is economical.
Yes RV'ing is expensive vs. sitting at home and doing nothing.
Thumb twiddling is very cost effective way to sit at home and save money vs. RV'ing.
However RV'ing is not so expensive compared to golfing,boating,fishing, traveling with kids to any competitive activity.
In short you can sit home and save, but if you choose to be active in any hobby or activity you will spend money. If this activity involves travel or transportation you will spend more. Involve the whole family, it cost even more.
RV vacation vs. a condo vacation in a resort area keeps it all in financial perspective.

Once you decide to buy an RV you are committed to the maintenance required to keep it running. This includes wear and tear items,engine repair etc.
THose sort of fixed cost are always there.
I agree the cost of the CG and fuel are generally negligible.
THe cost of actually using the RV are generally reasonable if we ignore the fixed cost.
However the only way to get value out of any RV regardless of model year,type, style or cost is to use it.
If you are using you RV regularly you are getting its full value
Parking an RV and not using it at all is the biggest waste of RV money there is.
Despite what some of the saving guru's believe a portion of your money is meant to be spent on leisurely activity.
For me, I have savings, certainly not as much as I could have or should have.
However I don't think my goal in life is to save every penny for the future. My goal in life is to enjoy life and owning an RV helps me enjoy life.
With that I accept the expenses associated with RV'ing and don't look back.
Looking back and counting your RV expenditures is a sure fire way to taint the experiences.
The scenery, the tranquility, the campfire, the view, the smiles, the laughs, the journey they are all priceless looking back an financially analyzing is a futile attempt to put a value on priceless memories and experiences.

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> Costs of things
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS