|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> Costs of things

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
ron.dittmer

North-East Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/19 02:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What Lantly just stated.
[emoticon]

2007 Phoenix Cruiser model 2350, with 2006 Jeep Liberty in-tow

js218

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/19 04:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Purchased my rv to travel, been on the road for 3 years doing an occasional layover at 3 properties I own in Nevada, Vermont, and Pennsylvania biggest cost for me is fuel currently have 165,350 miles on the rig. Is it expensive that all depends on what you can afford. I'm enjoying my rv to its fullest capabilities.

2017 Haulmark 45' Super C 600hp, 12 speed I shift transmission, tandem drive axles, 3 stage engine brake, towing 26' trailer with an 08 explorer inside.
Jim

Lwiddis

Veterans’ Park, Monterey, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/28/19 05:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why should we leave our daughter any money? lol

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

dieseltruckdriver

Black Hills of SD

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/19 06:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DutchmenSport wrote:

Unless you are full time RVer and have no true stick-n-brick home any more, RVing is a hobby. Some call it a "lifestyle." I like to call it a "lifestyle", but really, it's not essential for my existence. If I lost the 5er, tow vehicle, and every physical item associated with the camper right now, I would still be fully functional in my stick-n-brick home. SNIPPED

We have the opposite opinion. If our sticks and bricks burned down, our life continues as normal in our 5er. Probably better since we both prefer to be in it instead of the house anyway.

The house is a mile from work for both of us, so we can't really do any better than that!

2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

Bordercollie

Garden Grove, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/19 06:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As an 80-year old builder and flier of model airplanes, RV'er, guitar plunker and indulger in other hobbies and pastimes, I often counsel beginners about the initial and continuing costs of any worth-while hobby. Most of us have limited finances so most of us eventually invest in a motorhome that suits our desires and needs as well as possible within our financial limits. I advise beginners to save their money until they can buy good equipment and afford incidental expenses such as AMA membership insurance, club dues, and the cost of models, replacements and ground support equipment. Getting a good start in any hobby is important to having success and maximum continued enjoyment for the money and effort invested. I hope this makes sense:-)

DutchmenSport

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/28/19 06:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dieseltruckdriver wrote:

....If our sticks and bricks burned down, our life continues as normal in our 5er. Probably better since we both prefer to be in it instead of the house anyway.

Now THAT has to be the absolute best statement I've heard in a long time.

When we purchased this house, we selected the property so we could use the camper freely on it. House is secondary. I tease my wife often and call our camper, NOT our home away from home. Instead, "our home AT home!"

We choose the camper over the house. House and property is a convenience to park and live in the camper without restrictions. Still, to own the property to park the camper is not cheap either.

T18skyguy

Eugene, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/28/19 08:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think there are a lot of people in California right now that find their RV priceless. I was there in 1994 just 3 miles from the epicenter of the Northridge earth quake. It struck at night, and I remember my neighbors got in their cars to keep warm. I was so glad we had a 1983 Alfa Gold 29 foot travel trailer. We lived in it for weeks. Really saved our bacon.

Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. 2017 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS. Wife and daughter. Three cats which we must obey.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/19 12:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Depends wildly on how much you use the RV. I suspect many use it 5-6 weekends and a 1 week vacation per year...yep, it's wildly expensive way to travel.

But for those who plan to utilize it a lot, the costs come down very quick.

The other thing is to look at the type of RV you buy and how much maintenance you can do yourself. A big DP MH where you outsource everything to repair shops, it's going to be very expensive. A small bumper pull travel trailer pulled by the 1/2ton pickup you already have for other reasons and you do most basic maintenance yourself...it can be pretty cheap.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

sgfrye

north carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/29/19 06:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bobndot wrote:

We rv because we travel with a dog and hate sleeping in beds that hundreds of other have slept in before us. We like having our own bathroom that's usually available 24/7 when we travel. Needless to say, we have not thought about how much it cost.
When people ask us we ballpark our mpg, repairs, food, camp fees and other rv related expenses. When the bill comes, we simply pay it and don't think twice.

same here only we have 4 small dogs that travel with us

jjrbus

FT Myers FL

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/19 06:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cost of things! Google cheap and you will find my picture. I dislike staying in hotels and detest using public bathrooms, the real biggie is I like to take a nap when I want to. So I spend the money.

I have a 94 Toyota and if I had to pay people for repairs I would have to let it go and stay in hotels, and nap in the car. Repairs are not bad enough, then there are the dishonest shops. I wanted to get a AC expansion valve replaced 3 years ago and took it to the local AC place as I did not have time to mess with it. They gave me a $1200 estimate. TWELVE HUNDRED US DOLLARS. So I changed plans and did it myself, total cost less than $100 and at most 4 hours work. This is fresh in my mind as here it is 3 years later and I am in the middle of replacing the valve again.

I full timed for 10 years and was able to live very inexpensive even with the loss of about $40,000 when I sold the RV. That was a bus conversion I had built myself, sweet machine. Things I learned, the friends I made doing that and the experiences of RV'ing I cannot put a dollar amount on.

Being cheap is tough, sometimes I do myself a disservice by trying to save a $, I have to watch that. You know that feeling you get when realizing that $12 was spent on gas to save $8 on a campsite.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> Costs of things
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS