|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> Costs of things

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Dusty R

Charlotte Michigan 48813

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/19 06:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since I was about 14 I had wanted to learn to fly. Maybe 25 years ago I started taking flying lessons, got 3 hours in, was enjoying it, but decided that spending money traveling with our mh was better spent. With a mh you can travail in almost in weather, and stop anywhere.
With a small air plane you can only fly from airport to airport. And once your at an airport you are limited as what you can do.

Dusty

ron.dittmer

North-East Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/19 07:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jjrbus wrote:

then there are the dishonest shops. I wanted to get an AC expansion valve replaced 3 years ago and took it to the local AC place as I did not have time to mess with it. They gave me a $1200 estimate. TWELVE HUNDRED US DOLLARS. So I changed plans and did it myself, total cost less than $100 and at most 4 hours work.
Your story is common and remarkable. Like you, I do everything I can myself. Not just saving really big money, but unlike a shop on the clock, I spend the time taking care of all the details so it's done as best as possible.

A 10 minute oil change and a 30 minute wait for a set of tires, are simple examples of advertised short cuts.

If paying for services, day care would have raised our children, we could not own a motor home, the cars we drive, nor the house we live in. Our standard of living would be pitiful and retirement a pipe dream. And worst of all, we would never have been in a position to be charitable with our resources, both with time and money.

* This post was last edited 10/29/19 11:19am by ron.dittmer *   View edit history

2007 Phoenix Cruiser model 2350, with 2006 Jeep Liberty in-tow

docsouce

Seekonk Ma.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/29/19 07:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We called it a season last weekend (finished winterizing yesterday). We had a very enjoyable season. This is a breakdown of our basic costs for the season:
Total Miles: 6560
Cost of gas: $2,123 (this years average was 8.0 mpg as usual
and the average cost per gallon was $2.59
RV park cost:$1785 (51 nights at average $35 per night)
Total basic cost(Gas and camps only)$3908 or $105 per day
Not included: food, occasional t shirt, supplies, or whatever.
This falls in line with our last 4 years since we started this wonderful hobby. Making plans right now for another 10 week cross country trip next summer. Laying out our back road route and began to set cash aside for this run already. The wife and I truly enjoy the road less traveled.
Oh,we have a smaller class C. Thor Freedom Elite 22e E350 Triton V10 and there are just 2 of us.

* This post was edited 10/29/19 07:32am by docsouce *

2016 Thor Freedom Elite 22e
Just right for the two of us!

jjrbus

FT Myers FL

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/19 09:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

docsouce wrote:

We called it a season last weekend (finished winterizing yesterday). We had a very enjoyable season. This is a breakdown of our basic costs for the season:
This falls in line with our last 4 years since we started this wonderful hobby. Making plans right now for another 10 week cross country trip next summer. Laying out our back road route and began to set cash aside for this run already. The wife and I truly enjoy the road less traveled.
Oh,we have a smaller class C. Thor Freedom Elite 22e E350 Triton V10 and there are just 2 of us.

I have been looking at newer small Class B+ with the V10. But 8 mpg, ouch!

aguablanco

Mesa, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/29/19 09:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

docsouce wrote:

Your $105/day is a bit higher than my totals but close enough to not matter. Since we cook most of our meals in the trailer, and we have to eat whether we're on the road or at home I only count meals eaten out as an additional expense. A decent motel/hotel in, or near, any National Park is certainly much more than $105/day. Add in eating out and it will start approaching $200/day, or more. Bought my small trailer used and do all of the maintenance myself. My only extra expense is the difference in mileage between towing, which averages 15 mpg, and not towing 32 mpg. Both figures are highway driving. Granted I didn't pay six figures for my trailer, so depreciation is nearly a nonissue. We average about 5000+ miles per year and, at least for us, it is way less expensive than using hotels and eating out. Plus we get to see some amazing sites and spend time together. Oh, and the dogs love it too.
I have to say that, in our case at least, it is cheaper to take the RV out for 5-6 weeks at a time than it is to travel any other way when exploring.

2017 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
8 Speed Transmission
2010 Dutchmen 24 FB-SL
Curt 10,000# WDH
4 out of 3 people have trouble with fractions.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/29/19 10:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do better by not keeping records. I just pay as I go.
Periodically check fuel mileage to confirm engine is running normal but I don't track the money.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

ron.dittmer

North-East Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/19 11:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jjrbus wrote:

docsouce wrote:

...this years average was 8.0 mpg as usual...Oh,we have a smaller class C. Thor Freedom Elite 22e E350 Triton V10 and there are just 2 of us.
I have been looking at newer small Class B+ with the V10. But 8 mpg, ouch!
We own a 2007 E350-V10 Phoenix Cruiser 2350 SEEN HERE. When not towing our Jeep Liberty, our "truely accurate" trip average is 10.5 mpg. That is significantly better than 8 mpg.

Aerodynamics and cruising-speed seem to be most influential. The difference in fuel economy between Phoenix Cruisers, the shortest 21 foot model to the longest 31 foot model is different, but less dramatic than taller boxy conventional class_c's. With our rig traveling across the country, our practiced top speed hovers around 67-68 mph. A tall boxy "C" would go through gas a lot faster at those speeds.

Towing our Jeep Liberty, our fuel economy drops by 1.3 mpg. But the fuel loss is more than recovered by driving the Liberty around at our destinations, and leaving the motor home at the camp site. So it's a win-win.

cbigham

orange , CA

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/19 12:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know of a better way to travel. I have a 23u thor, small, tow a jeep from time to time, carry a street legal dirt bike on back of that. Been a lot of places, ridden a lot of trails, sometimes with friends, sometimes just us. Beats hotels for sure. (Hotels creep me out) We usually dry camp when we can. We have solar, 200 watts.

Frankly, the solitude and anticipation of upcoming trips motivate me to make more money to pay for it all. I have no regrets. Maybe one, but situational. Wish I downsized to the class c earlier.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/19 01:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This "cost" thing really depends on how you use your RV. To some it's a few weekends a year and for that the cost of the RV amortized over the time you use it is pretty high. But the reward could be priceless. On the other end of the spectrum there are those who full time and for those people the cost amortized over use is pretty low. And depending on what sort of RV you have vs the kind of house you might own it could be a much better deal in an RV. It also depends a lot on where you go, how much you drive, where you stay etc. Too many variables to generalize RV'ing to be classified loosely as cost effective or not. There is an opposing scenario for every one you can mention to try and prove your perspective. Everything costs money. Houses, cars, vacations, RV's, boats etc. Pick your poison. Live within your means and do what makes you happy. When we first started Rv'ing we bought a class A. Our son was still young then and we enjoyed trips immensely despite knowing it cost us a lot of money and we used it less than we wanted. Fast forward, our son is about to graduate and we've always talked of touring the US so we are considering selling the house and full timing. Two very different scenarios and budgets and I would argue that living full time in an RV will be much less expensive than the beach house we live in now - all things considered.

Most people tout houses as a good investment, but are they? We sold our house in MD a few years ago. We lived in it for 12 years. We sold for $100k more than we built it for and thus made $100k profit . Or did we? When you account for taxes, improvements, interest etc, turns out we didn't make any money at all. Never mind the cost of utilities and everything involved into running a household. Cost of ownership for a house can often exceed the equity gained. Heck, you'd be better off renting in a lot cases. Everything is relative. RV's are no exception.

* This post was edited 10/29/19 01:12pm by way2roll *

jjrbus

FT Myers FL

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/19 02:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That house part, sold my house, built a bus conversion and full timed for 10 years. Decided to sell the RV and buy a house in Florida. This was at the height of the housing bubble. What I wanted I could not afford, what I could afford I did not want!

Fortunately the bubble burst and I could buy something reasonable, cheap actually. But if I decided to run away again, I would definitely keep the house. Lesson learned.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> Costs of things
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS