|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> In-Depth RV Lithium Install & Wiring Film - Mike Mas

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/31/19 09:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice video Mike, I have several questions. How much did this upgrade cost you? What would it cost if you did not do the work yourself? I noticed you upgraded most of your MH's wiring, but did not see an upgrade to thicker wires for the engines alternator, how many amps actually reach the batteries? You mentioned the batteries will run the AC for 6 hours, what would be the SOC after 6 hrs? How many years do you project the batteries to last before losing capacity?

Idle-Up

Ga

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/19 01:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

steveh27 wrote:

I installed 200 ah of lithium lifepo4 batteries in my small battery box in my 1997 Xplorer 230XL (classB) in early July. Then I fractured my hip & have been diagnosed w stage 1 multiple myeloma, a blood cancer. I had a partial hip replacement & am still recovering, was in the hosptial & rehab 3+ weeks. My Trimetric showed the batteries were almost totally discharged. Plugged the van in to shore power & it has been recharging slowly. The PD charger people told me to charge it full I should manually push in the boost button for lithium batteries. I have not been able to climb into the rv let alone reach down neaar the floor where the charger boost button is.

The state of charge on the Trimetric shows 67% SOC with a little charging ongoing. So I think I'm OK with the batteries and it may be best to just leave it plugged in with the slow charging as the batt mfrs said it's best to store them near 50% SOC.

Any thoughts on this?

First I'm so sorry to hear your terrible chain of health events, if your storing the coach, its best not to store the battery with a full charge. In fact 65% is a perfect state to store the battery. Do not leave the charger on unattended. there is only around a 3% loss per month with lithium.

I sure wish you luck with your health.

Regards - Mike

steveh27

Grosse Pointe Woods, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/01/19 05:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks Mike. The battery draw from propane detector, etc is about 0.2 amps or about 5 amps per day. So without being plugged in it can draw down the SOC in a month.

Idle-Up

Ga

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/19 04:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Steve,

You're right any constant draw will bring down almost any battery. Seems the one best option is my dis-connect at the entrance door. On my Newmar I I had to put a total disconnect right on the batteries since the Silverleaf continues to draw the battery down.

Mike

Idle-Up

Ga

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/19 04:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey guys - Just wanted to update the thread concerning my operation of the heating system. Last week my coach was exposed to temperatures of 14 degrees, yet the heater kept the battery and BMS temperature and compartment right at 41 degrees. Lithium battery manufactures recommend that lithium not be stored in extreme lower temperatures.

The heater is primarily designed for when the coach is parked to prevent the BMS from shutting down the 12 volt power system, allowing the battery to be charged in colder weather where otherwise it would not be possible.

This heater system serves a few other purposes since I store some of my drones and their lithium batteries in this same compartment. It’s important to keep the drones IMU and lithium batteries within proper temperatures as well.

The heaters secondary use is for traveling in cold weather where the battery that powers the RV and heater circuit is charged by the engine alternator.

Thanks Mike

[image]

[image]

steveh27

Grosse Pointe Woods, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/18/19 04:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice heated compartment. My battery box has no room for a heater & is under my Class B so it gets cold. I noticed yesterday that it was not taking a charge probably due to the BMS shutting down the charging below 32. It got into the 20's. It does still allow a draw and the SOC is 72% so I think I'm OK.

[image]

steveh27

Grosse Pointe Woods, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/02/19 05:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I removed the lifepo4 batteries from the rv & brought them inside. The trimetric meter said they had 72% SOC. Not sure how accurate that was. Inside their voltage is 13.4. I've hooked up a small led light to drain a bit of power.

I know the voltage stays flat even as the SOC drops. I want to store them for months and know that's best at 60% SOC or so. ANy thoughts on what that may be for mine?

* This post was edited 12/03/19 08:55am by steveh27 *

hoosiermark

Batesville ,Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 12/03/19 07:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are interested in lithium battery technology and the issues with them, here are three groups you might want to check out on facebook. Roadtrek E-Treks & Ecotreks, Carado & Sunlight owners group, Hymer Aktiv owners and wannabees.
I own a class b with a lithium battery and found these groups to be very helpful. There is a lot of information on these forums about lithium batteries as well as solar battery charging.

steveh27

Grosse Pointe Woods, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/03/19 08:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do not do facebook or any other social media.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> In-Depth RV Lithium Install & Wiring Film - Mike Mas
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS