RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Roads and Routes: Route suggestions please!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Route suggestions please!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
MarkTwain

Northern, Ca. , USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/19 05:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

caysea7254 wrote:

We will be leaving Dec. to travel out west to see sites in Southern Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and other states. We fulltime so we do not have a time schedule. Not sure what are the best routes to take to see interesting places along way. Any suggestions are very appreciated. Thank you Tara

Not too familiar with Texas other than getting caught in a hail storm in north
texas----$15K damage to my truck and trailer in 15 min.[emoticon] But I would keep an eye on the severe weather currently in Texas and make sure you have a Weather Station Radio that gets National weather in your trailer and in your RV.

profdant139

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/19 06:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tara, if you are full timing and have unlimited time, my advice would be to stay off the interstates. The two-lane roads are far more interesting.

Yes, they take longer, and yes, they are less safe on an accidents-per-mile-driven basis, or so they say. But they are fun, and you never know what you'll see in the small towns along the way!

2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

SteveAE

Bend, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/19 06:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

You might want to consider getting some of these e-books. I suspect they'll help quite a bit with your travel planning.

We were at Organ Pipe Cactus in 2018. Soooo many boarder patrol agents, it's probably safer than most cities in the country.

Have fun.

DFord

Near St Louis, MO

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/19 10:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've made the trip from St Louis to Quartzsite on several occasions leaving the day after Christmas. We do our best to get as far south as we can before turning west. Just before our first trip, a friend that lives in Albuquerque warned me to stay off I-40. Best advice I ever took. As we were over-nighting in Las Cruces, we heard on the news that I-40 was closed at Albuquerque due to a blizzard - for 3 days! We've been heading down to Little Rock then across Dallas-Fort Worth towards Abilene to get on I-20 which runs into I-10 in western Texas. If you're going to San Antonio (nothing like the River Walk), you'll be a lot farther south that I-20. One of the sights to see in Austin is the nightly emergence of bats from the Congress Street Bridge - millions of them begin their nightly search for food right at sundown. It's a party every night - the TGIF overlooks the river right at the bridge and provides a great view.

Out west the temperature is all about altitude. The lower you can get, the warmer it is. No matter where you go, the sights are always spectacular! I enjoy every mile no matter where I am - it's a beautiful country.

If you're going to Organ Pipe, I might suggest staying at Holt's Shell service station and campground in Gila Bend, AZ just north of Organ Pipe. They offer a Pass Port America rate of less than $13/night (about $200/month) for full hook-ups. No frills but I don't do boondocking unless I have to. Be SURE to stop by Quartzsite, AZ the last full week of January when the BIG TENT is in operation for one of the biggest and best RV shows ever. I call it the Sturgis of RVing - every RVers should go there at least once. Nothing like it anywhere.

Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

doxiemom11

Somewhere between MI and TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/29/19 05:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I-40 will be too far north, snow storm, ice and wind all possible at any time. I-10 should be good as far as winter weather, but it can be windy across there too. We would go I-10 if it were us.

ceasare

staten island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/29/19 08:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We did the I 10 route last year. Wanted to get as south as possible as fast as possible so went straight down to Baton Rouge the got on I10 west. It might not be the most exciting ride but it was spectacular to see coming from NYC. We are headed west again this winter leaving 1/3 so most probably the same route.

one_strange_texan

New Caney, TX (when not on the road)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/30/19 04:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

agesilaus wrote:

2) To the north a bit is Sonoma Caverns-its commercial right off I-10
3) McDonald Observatory if you like astronomy.
4) Ft Stockton-the old fort there.

Just to avoid any confusion and to provide additional information:

#2 I believe agesilaus is referring to the Caverns of Sonora, which is indeed private and close to I-10. I have visited. It is spectacular and there is a RV park there. Nothing fancy, but handy for visiting the caverns.
#3 Reserve a slot for a "Star Party" at the McDonald Observatory (again, if you are into astronomy, as agesilaus says). It is held on certain evenings during the week.
#4 Fort Davis is near the observatory and is a historic site. Both are near Davis Mountains State Park, a nice park which features full hookups and wifi.

I would consider reserving the Star Party and a site at Davis Mountains ahead of time if you care to visit.

one_strange_texan
2015 Montana 3402RL
2015 Ram Diesel 3500 4WD single axle

caysea7254

South Dakota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/30/19 05:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you all for the great information! Yes we will reserve a site at Davis Mountains State Park and visit all that was recommended. We do the stars!! Thanks again

Steve & Tara Smiley
2014 3500HD Silverado
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL

bighatnohorse

Gig Harbor - Cave Creek

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/31/19 06:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

agesilaus wrote:

Organ Pipe NM is said to be hazardous because it is right on the border.

That is pure hearsay. A cat in the night couldn't squeeze through there.
The border area there and it's protective measures are worth seeing as much as the National Park.

2014 Lance 1181
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
“The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

one_strange_texan

New Caney, TX (when not on the road)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/01/19 08:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

caysea7254 wrote:

Thank you all for the great information! Yes we will reserve a site at Davis Mountains State Park and visit all that was recommended. We do the stars!! Thanks again

A piece of advice. It would be wise to stock up before arriving at the Davis Mountains. It has one small grocery, as I remember, for example.

One of the best words to describe that part of West Texas is "remote." That is why the stars are so spectacular at night.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Route suggestions please!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS