|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Colorado campground for next summer

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Lurker52

at large

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/19 04:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Everyone,

I am writing to see what RV park in Colorado near Buena Vista you might recommend for a month or two stay. (July and August) Last summer we stayed at Star Valley Ranch RV Park in Star Valley Wyoming. This is a park where individuals own the site. We rented a site form the owner.

This was a really great stay. The park has plenty of activities. A pool, pickle ball and golf nearby. I definitely recommend this park. It is a bit dated but clean and friendly. It is about an hour south of Jackson Hole and Grand Teton National Park. Yellowstone can be a long day trip. At SVR we really did not use most of the activities so those things are not as important as a nice site in a nice park at a reasonable price.

I am hoping to find a similar place in Colorado. I am open to location although Buena Vista seems nice. I do want it to be high enough to escape the heat. I would say 6000 ft. or more. If you all have any places that you have stayed and think they are what I am looking for please leave your comments about the park and its location. What you liked about it and if you would stay there again.

Also, the access to the park. If there are any big climbs on the route and road conditions. I live in Florida so I will be arriving from the east. I have a 2001 Monaco 36’ motor home with a Cummins 5.9 and Allison tranny and a toad. I don’t do climbs very fast, slow and steady and if I can avoid climbs, I do.

Again, amenities are not as important to us as a good base camp to explore the natural surroundings and beauty of the Rockies.

Thanks, as always

Lwiddis

Los Angeles area :(

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/29/19 05:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Climbing and Colorado are one in the same. Climbing, and descending, are the only ways to see the beautiful West.

* This post was last edited 10/29/19 06:40pm by Lwiddis *   View edit history

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

TxGearhead

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/29/19 05:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have next August reserved at Vallecito Resort, Vallecito CO. Nothing fancy but I'm good with that. I'm familiar with area and it is good exploring. Northeast of Durango.

2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

gwalter

Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/29/19 10:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We like Arrowhead Point just outside of Buena Vista. You can search this area by using Campground Reviews

2010 Ram 3500 Laramie
2014 Heartland Bighorn Silverado 34SE
B & W Companion Hitch
Air Bags

Thom02099

Loveland,CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/30/19 05:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First, the search. As pointed out above, use campgroundreviews.com for your search. Buena Vista is in the Upper Arkansas Valley, so also consider from Salida to Leadville and points in between. There's quite a number of commercial campgrounds that could fit what you're looking for. Sounds like you're not really interested in USFS CG, and there are a plethora of those around that area. When you find one that suits your needs, make reservations early, as the Upper Arkansas is a popular area.

As to getting there, you CAN get there without substantial climbs, by taking US 50 west from Canon City. It's twisty/curvy and some ups/downs, but by no means any substantial climbs. Takes you right to Salida and on to Poncha Springs, where you can pick up US 285 which will get you into the heart of the Valley.

2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

Vette Racer

Oklahoma

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/30/19 08:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are numerous RV parks around South Fork CO, a little further South than you are thinking but still cool and around 8500 feet.

KE5NCP
2016 Ram CC Dually, 2011 HitchHiker 349 RSB DA, 2018 Wrangler unlimited Rubicon

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/19 09:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

South central CO is also a beautiful area. South Fork, Creede, Pagosa Springs, Durango, can be reached without any significant climbs. Lake City area is also beautiful but requires crossing some mountain passes, but good for a day trip if in the area. Lots of RV parks in the area.

padredw

East Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/30/19 10:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would concur with the suggestion of Arrowhead Point RV Park just north of the town of Buena Vista. We have also stayed in the KOA just south of town. We do not usually choose KOA parks, but this is one which we have enjoyed.

I also think that Buena Vista is a good choice and you have good access for day trips to Gunnison, Crested Butte, Canyon City, Leadville, and Aspen (NOT with an RV in regard to Aspen) -- to name a few.

There are many possibilities for hiking--short trails, long trails, difficult trails and some easier trails.

Also Buena Vista is noted for river rafting on the Arkansas during the summer.

All in all a good choice.

padredw

East Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/30/19 10:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Also agree with my friend, BB_Tex about those areas he mentioned.

EgorKC

Kansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/30/19 08:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Consider Mountaindale RV park Colorado Springs. Its 15 miles southwest of Colorado Springs. Beautiful park and well maintained with Pine trees throughout. Spacious sites. Close to all the activities in Colo Springs and Royal Gorge area.
You could spend a few days there and then take 50 thru Canon City and visit the Buena Vista area too. Elevation of Colo Springs is 6030. Mountaindale is a bit lower by probably 300-500ft. Mornings in Late June were high 40's to low 50's last year. 60 by 10 am.
Greg

You cannot stop growing old but you don't have to grow up. ">
Chef/Pilot
DW/Navigator
2 Sons, 1 DIL, 2 Grandsons, 1 Granddaughter. Boz the cat">
2012 F350 XLT 6.7 Powerstroke 4X4 SWD Crewcab.
2012 Wildcat 313RE-OK

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Colorado campground for next summer
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS