|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> HITCHGRIP Carrying Tool

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
1ed

Northern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/29/19 04:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

www.hitchgrip.com
click
Has anyone used one of these and if so what are your impressions. I have the Reese Steadi Flex WD Hitch and the head is 51lbs and hard on the back. Looking for solutions for moving the Reese around. Thanks Ed

* This post was edited 10/29/19 05:38pm by 1ed *

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/29/19 05:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

the only advantage I can see is you may stay cleaner by lifting with the tool. The hitch still weighs the same, plus weight of tool, that has no mechanical advantage IMO. I've no experience with one though.

Jerry

DutchmenSport

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/29/19 05:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have one and it's OK for actually carrying the hitch. It does not make it lighter at all. 51 pounds will still be 51 pounds.

The problem is, on my (use to have) when attempting to insert the shank into the receiver hitch, the hitch grip would hit the bumper of the camper before the shank even started to be inserted into the receiver. I'd still have to drop shank and ball to the ground and lift it with both hands to get the shank in the receiver.

I stored my hitch and ball in my pass-through in the camper. There was not enough door clearance height to get the hitch and the hitch grip through the hole. Besides, handling that weight with one hand was a bit for me and that was a few years ago. Here again, set the hitch on the ground and I'd lift it from the ground to inside the pass through with both hands.

Depending on where you store it, you may not have this problem.

The short distance from the back of the truck to the camper pass through (what 10 feet) was not worth the hassle of wrangling the the hitch grip.

However, when I got the fifth wheel and I pretty much retired the WDH, it was nice using the hitch grip to carry the hitch head and ball some 200 feet from my garage to the shed.

Would I ever buy another one. Absolutely not! Should I have purchased it the first time? No However, if you have a shop and move multiple hitch heads around from one vehicle to another, and swap them back and forth, and have to carry them a distance, then yes... I think they are great!

[image]

Yea, the hitch grip did not make it any lighter, it only balanced it making it a bit easier to carry with one hand.

If you were in my neighborhood, I'd give you mine.

I kept a plastic grocery bag over the hitch ball to keep grease from getting all over the hitch grip too. I think in the photo above, that was a paper shop towel.

[image]

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/29/19 06:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have been using one for two years. If I lost it today, I would have another on order tonight.

It keeps grease off of me. It lets me carry the hitch, easily, at the balance point. While it doesn't make the hitch lighter, it makes it easier to manipulate.

[image]

Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Lwiddis

Owens River Road, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/29/19 06:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The tool would add weight, so I advocate gloves without a tool.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

DocP

Macedonia, OH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/29/19 07:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bobbo wrote:

I have been using one for two years. If I lost it today, I would have another on order tonight.

It keeps grease off of me. It lets me carry the hitch, easily, at the balance point. While it doesn't make the hitch lighter, it makes it easier to manipulate.

[image]

Same here - it makes the hitch so much easier to tote around. I'm 65, and anything that makes it easier to tote that heavy hitch head around is well worth the money.

2019 Keystone Cougar 34TSB
2018 Chevy Silverado 2500HD, Z71

beemerphile1

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/19 08:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have it and like it. It isn't perfect but it does make carrying the hitch head around much easier.

Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Rover_Bill

NE. Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/29/19 09:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had mine for 3 yrs and would highly recommend it for anyone with a HEAVY WDH. The handle provides a nice grip and balance point that allows me to install/remove my 50# WDH with ONE HAND. I don't have to bend over as far to use two hands under the hitch so it's much easier on my back. The handle itself is not heavy (less than 1#) - it's strong, heavy duty glass-filled plastic.

2015 GMC Canyon 3.6L V6 4X4 TowHaul SLE ExtCab Bronze
2016 Keystone Passport GT 2670BH
ReCurve R6 hitch, DirecLink brake controller
2005 Suzuki C50 2006 Suzuki S40

1ed

Northern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/29/19 10:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Based on all the comments, I just ordered one. Thanks for the great comments. Ed

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/30/19 06:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I store my hitch with the ball in the trailer coupler, so the Hitchgrip won't work for that. I made a carry tool that grips the shank behind the ball and that allows me to insert the shank in the receiver or the ball in the coupler. Carrying that short distance is easy with the arm straight down. With the ball locked in the coupler it stays cleaner and adds security to both the hitch and the trailer.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> HITCHGRIP Carrying Tool
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.