|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> New AC problem

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
ksg5000

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/19 03:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Doesn't sound normal to me. I would have polite conversation with the installer and let him know that you expect him to re-examine/test his installation. Be polite but make it clear that if the issue isn't resolved your going to take the rig to an independent installer who will evaluate/fix the issue and you will expect him/her to reimburse you for the expense. No rants etc - just let him/her know what you expect.

Kevin

ndrorder

Southwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/30/19 04:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you think it is the thermostat turning on and off causing the cycling, just adjust the thermostat to well below the air temperature and see if the AC stays running or cycles as before.

There would be several sensors both pressure and thermal in a residential AC that would cause this kind of cycling. The problem is, there isn't enough information on the dometic page to see what the choices are.

May be a case of run it like you stole it until the warranty runs out then worry if overuse reduced its lifespan.

allen8106

Burrton. KS

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/31/19 10:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

colliehauler wrote:

I thought the same thing about the thermostat, but I'm not a HVAC person. I would also wonder if the A/C vent is blowing on the thermostat causing erratic behavior.

This happens in our bedroom. The AC vents out 3 sides. If I don't close the one on the side that vents towards the T-stat then it cycles needlessly.

2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76

badsix

north bend or.

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/19 08:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm by far no A/C expert, but when I installed my soft start kit the instructions said that cycling the A/C on and off was very hard on the unit. something about head pressure needs to have time to normalize or something.
Jay D.

Boband4

Wa

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/19 06:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

30 amp or 50 amp trailer service? If 30, and other items such as the water heater, microwave, or coffee maker cycle on it could be an amp draw/low voltage problem. Ensure all the other appliances are off and see if the problem continues.

Miamikeith

Miami FL

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/19 08:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the replies. It’s 30 amp. Only other thing possibly running would be water heater but doubt that’s always running same time as AC. Dealer/installer has been pretty good so far. I’ll give them a call again and go over your suggestions/advice. Today I had unit set to 78 while I was at work. Got home around 7:30 temp outside high 80’s. Temp in trailer was 72 and AC running. I had to raise thermostat to 80 before it would kick off. I left it at 80 for about 2hours then dropped it to 75 just before bed. Unit kicked in with high fan no compressor for about a minute. Shut off for about 45 seconds came back on Wirth high fan no compressor again for about a minute and shut off again. 3rd time came on with low fan then compressor kicked in and it’s behaving normally now. Cooled off trailer shut down. Was off about 15-20 minutes and just came back on. No cycling this time. Hopefully with y’all’s suggestions dealer may have a direction to go to resolve this once and for all. Thanks again

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> New AC problem
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS