RV.Net Open Roads Forum: What percent of the time do you leave your TC on your truck?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> What percent of the time do you leave your TC on your truck?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
mike/kellie

northern calif.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/30/19 09:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Unfortunately, it's become the norm to have it on the truck through the summer and into the fall. Much like the new term of "wind event" and the changed definition of "safe", we have had to adjust and basically dedicate the 2 together. When the Kincade fire started, I mounted the super hitch and camper and got the Jeep ready to tow. 5 days ago, we evacuated 3 hours earlier than mandated and this morning, heading back home to a "safe" zone with no power and water and the understanding that in the case of a 'wind event" we must leave. Right now, I could write a book as to why we love our truck camper!
Jim, put us down for 95% summer and fall, 20% winter and spring.

2015 Host Mammoth triple slide w/ TorkLift Fastguns
2015 Ram 5500 SLT cab & chassis with Douglass 9' utility body

Photomike

Southern Alberta or where the camper is parked!

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/19 10:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought a truck just for the camper and it never came off.

2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

Photomike

Southern Alberta or where the camper is parked!

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/19 10:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mike/kellie wrote:

Unfortunately, it's become the norm to have it on the truck through the summer and into the fall. Much like the new term of "wind event" and the changed definition of "safe", we have had to adjust and basically dedicate the 2 together. When the Kincade fire started, I mounted the super hitch and camper and got the Jeep ready to tow. 5 days ago, we evacuated 3 hours earlier than mandated and this morning, heading back home to a "safe" zone with no power and water and the understanding that in the case of a 'wind event" we must leave. Right now, I could write a book as to why we love our truck camper!
Jim, put us down for 95% summer and fall, 20% winter and spring.

Having a RV of any type in an emergency is soooo nice. I make sure my fuel tanks on my RV's are always full, you just never know.

Sorry that you are in the middle of all that. Stay safe!!

2 Piece

Northern Virginia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/30/19 10:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jaycocreek wrote:

jimh425 wrote:

A few people have said they only ever need 2WD trucks. So, quick survey.

What percent of the time do you leave your TC (truck camper) on your truck?

I’m probably 10%. I went camping for a few days, and did a few week trips. Would have done more, but had other things that interfered this year. At the most, I’d say 20% in any year.

Probably 50% of the time for me...I do take it off to haul firewood and in the winter to have an extra vehicle available..A DRW in any shape or format is a poor grocery getter and just as poor as a choice for any off roading..

A SRW is a far better choice for a pickup to be just a pickup but a better choice for large truck campers...

Not sure why a DRW is not a good daily driver/ grocery getter? I daily drive my DRW and it does great.
Camper comes off while home unless we are going back out within a couple days.

2018 F350 6.7 diesel, 4x4, DRW, crew cab, 8' box.
2018 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE.

Those that do not read have no advantage over those who can not.

BradW

Mayor of Flat Rock

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/19 10:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

About 90% of the time, camper is on the truck.

Bradw

Wake Up America
2019 Lance 1062 and 2018 F-350 CC PSD 4X4 DRW
Tembrens, Rear Roadmaster Sway Bar, Torklift 48" Extention and 30K Superhitch
Our New Lance 1062 Truck Camper Unloading at Dealer Photos

discovery4us

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/30/19 10:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we had out TC I had the benefit of a second run about car so I left the TC on 100% of the time. I was also limited on parking area so to get both parked off the street at home I had to leave the TC loaded. Being younger when we had the TC we were more spontaneous and it was nice to have it loaded when we got a wild hair and wanted to leave at the drop of a hat.

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/19 11:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2 Piece wrote:

Not sure why a DRW is not a good daily driver/ grocery getter? I daily drive my DRW and it does great.
Camper comes off while home unless we are going back out within a couple days.

It's the extra width of the dual wheel fenders and the way parking spots are around here..The wife doesn't like to park in the boonies,as she puts it,to keep from getting the truck banged up if she parks in a regular spot as she does with our Dodge mini van.

I have no issue with it,I just park out a bit..

1994 F-350 DRW /460/k&n intake /415# torque/lance 9.6/Engel compressor fridge/3 gr 27 batteries/Honda 2k/Honda 3K/WH Camo 2250/Reese solid bar extension/Buddy heater/3 inverters//Happi Jack tie downs /Firestone bags/Yamaha Rhino/Winch and Lockers

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/19 11:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jaycocreek wrote:

A SRW is a far better choice for a pickup to be just a pickup but a better choice for large truck campers...

I don't own a TC so I can't comment. But, I thought a DRW was the best choice for large truck campers?

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/19 11:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gbopp wrote:

jaycocreek wrote:

I don't own a TC so I can't comment. But, I thought a DRW was the best choice for large truck campers?

It is,but a DRW probably isn't the best choice for running around town and parking in normal parking spots because of the extra width with the DRW fenders...it doesn't bother me but it does my wife...I just park out away from the others so they don't chip up my fenders..

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/19 11:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

90 percent of the time my camper stays on the truck. It gets removed when the truck or camper need service or if we stay at one campground for an extended time with no other vehicles with us. Last weekend, my wife drove the car to the campsite before I did and secured it. I grabbed the camper and truck after work and met her in the evening. The car was used by another truck camper owner and us to get around to the sights and local town rather than trying to find parking for a big truck or truck/camper combination.

Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate Car Carrier 20-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX 8.75-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE-VW TransBuggy 1200

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> What percent of the time do you leave your TC on your truck?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.