|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> New Tires - too many options

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
blt2ski

Kirkland, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/19 07:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You do not also say o I forgot reading the other posts..... what type of driving you do. Highway only, no big amounts of rain, snow or other items that require something other than a 5 rib design.
There is traction only on the rear, hwy on the front axel option......
I Like Cooper or Toyo tires myself. Can not say too many things about micheblows.....Other than how I operate, probably had the wrong version.....ALtho the now not sold XDE M+S in an LRH 225-70-19.5 on my dumptruck rear axel are the BOMB! luv them. Never had a good one on a pickup as of yet.
but as others have said, max 30K out of a stock tire is doing good! I'm usually lucky to get 50K out of a set of tires. Then again, I do mostly local stop and go, lots of turns vs all highway/freeway driving, which will net upwards of 50-100% more miles than how I drive....... Your mileage may vary!
Marty

92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
00 Chev C2500, V5700, 4L80E, 4.10, base truck, no options!
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Check RV.Net Blogs at: blog.rv.net

spoon059

Just north of D.C.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/30/19 08:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My OEM Firestones on my Ram lasted about 20K, they were horrible. OP, I would pay attention at campgrounds to trucks like yours and see what tires look appealing to you and talk to the owner of the truck. Its my experience that most campers are willing to discuss pros and cons of their trucks/campers/equipment to other campers.

My FIL has a GM and has some really nice Goodyears on his truck. I wanted the same for my Ram, but they didn't make them in my size. I was able to find several HD Ram owners that recommended the Nitto Duratrac (I think...) that I ended up buying. Same truck, same general climate, same general conditions. That's my suggestion.

Either way, buy a NAME BRAND. Buy a tire you've heard of before. Buy a tire that is priced appropriately (for an HD truck tire, $200-250 per tire is probably about an average price). If you find tires that are super cheap... be cautious. If you see prices that are insane... be cautious.

2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/30/19 09:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rav wrote:

I will need to replace my tires too, I am looking at the Michelin Defenders. Recommended by a friend who is a retired diesel mechanic and also has them on his truck. The have a great rating on the Tire Rack website. JMHO

2015 350 Dually, CC, Long Bed

About X5
Michelin Defenders on our 2016 Ram 3500 DRW. Not cheap, but not cheap! I started with Michelin back in the late 60's.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/19 09:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm pleased with my Toyo tires. Make sure to get a wheel alignment. Make sure the RV is loaded for the wheel alignment.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

ksss

Eastern Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/19 10:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have Nittos on several pickups EXO (3500) and G2 Grappler (1500). Quality tires. Cooper SST on a 3500, probably wont go back to that tire in that appication, not seeing the mileage, always pulling but still seems like they are disappearing at a rapid rate.

Good to know that some people see value in Michelin pickup tires. I never have. Running up and down the black highway I guess must be their market.

Gonna give Falcon Wild Peak AT a run on my '18 3500 after my Exo's dissappear. Very popular here, reviews are good online and price is good.

2006 GMC 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/31/19 03:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On my 2015 the Firestone Transforce AT tires did not make 30K. I replaced them with Michelin Defenders and at over 60K the Michelin tires are not yet worn down half way. I am thinking that I will get somewhere a little North or South of 60K miles out of them in two more years.

I know Cummins12V98 runs them on his duallie and is very happy with them. Chris

2015 RAM 3500 CC SB SRW Our Rig New 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Commuter trailer 2019 Laredo 225MK. Retired and enjoying it!

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/19 03:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wanderingaimlessly wrote:

All of the laughter may be correctly spewed, but, the vehicle was new, the alignment should not be able to be questioned, and wearing out new radials in 22,000 miles is ridiculous.
YES, I would be screaming, My old Rams tires went 5 years and 70 k before I replaced them. And I would be trying to bring all the attention to the issue I could before I would just walk away from it.
Guess I'm just stubborn about accepting being screwed over.

No intent to laugh but...
- Driving off the dealer lot, you could have hit a pothole and threw off the alignment.
- Tread wear is always a tough warranty issue as they can claim it was your driving that caused it to wear prematurely.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

Campinghoss@51

Windsor NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/31/19 04:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That mileage seems very low for the tires to be worn out. I have 19500 on mine and have a lot of miles left. I did take mine to a shop that specializes in front end alignment as soon as I saw my right front tire showing signs of wear. This fellow lined my front end up based on my fiver weight. I am fortunate that I only use my pickup to pull my fiver. My Ford dealer told me nothing was off on the alignment but he was strictly going by Fords specs and did not consider the weight of the fiver.

Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucky & Lucie

Vette Racer

Oklahoma

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/31/19 11:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My rears were worn out after 23k miles and one front slipped the belts at 19k (Nexen factory tires) so I replaced all at 23k with the Sailuns, figure if they are good enough for the trailer they are good enough for the truck.

KE5NCP
2016 Ram CC Dually, 2011 HitchHiker 349 RSB DA, 2018 Wrangler unlimited Rubicon

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/19 11:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wanderingaimlessly wrote:

All of the laughter may be correctly spewed, but, the vehicle was new, the alignment should not be able to be questioned, and wearing out new radials in 22,000 miles is ridiculous.
YES, I would be screaming, My old Rams tires went 5 years and 70 k before I replaced them. And I would be trying to bring all the attention to the issue I could before I would just walk away from it.
Guess I'm just stubborn about accepting being screwed over.

Lot's of talk about alignment. First absolutely the alignment could be questioned and would likely be the predominant problem if the front only was wearing oddly.
The OP said "tires" not front tires, so guessing, perhaps incorrectly,that it is all 6 tires worn.
Eating front tires? I'd be at the dealer telling them to fix it. (Actually I'd probably just fix it myslef and save the hassle, but...)
Sure try a tire shop, see if you can get some goodwill there.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> New Tires - too many options
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.