|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> TT for full time living or negatives of trailer brands

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
patperry2766

Saginaw Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/30/19 10:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Montana 3950BR

Something like this might work. It has a separate bedroom that could be used for studying. A few manufacturers make this floorplan. If not this, then probably a toyhauler.

Figure 30-50K+ for a good pre-owned trailer and 40-50K+ for a tow vehicle so you're looking at +/- $1500 a month for a place to live before you have to pay for RV sites, elect, ins, etc. You could easily be in the $2K range each month for trailer, RV site and truck payment.

Could get away with getting a 1 bdrm apt for less. Something to think about.

Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

2012Coleman

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/19 04:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do you plan on staying in areas that are very cold in the winter?

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

TurnThePage

North ID

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/19 09:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would suggest a unit that has a door between the bedroom and living area. You gotta have that privacy sometimes. I would also think a larger bathroom would be beneficial to full time living.

Having no idea what kind of tow vehicle you have nor your expectations, I will say look at the Grand Design Imagine line to get some ideas. They offer the features that would be important to me long term.

Study up on preventive maintenance too. Almost no matter what you choose, you will need to climb on the roof for inspection and waterproofing, among many other things.

2015 Ram 1500
2004 Pioneer 18T6

trail-explorer

NM

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/19 12:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DutchmenSport wrote:

I've literally rebuilt this thing from top to bottom. It is a good camper NOW!

How did you proceed with rebuilding the walls, floor and roof?
Did the factory supply you with new wall panels?

Bob

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/19 01:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

trail-explorer wrote:

DutchmenSport wrote:

I've literally rebuilt this thing from top to bottom. It is a good camper NOW!

How did you proceed with rebuilding the walls, floor and roof?
Did the factory supply you with new wall panels?

I know nothing about DutchmenSport's tool or skill set. But as somebody that has rebuilt both cars and a house from top to bottom I see no reason to question his statement.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/19 01:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

again

GrandpaKip

Flat Rock

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/31/19 01:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

T’would be nice if some of y’all could keep even sorta close to the topic at hand.

Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/19 03:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GrandpaKip wrote:

T’would be nice if some of y’all could keep even sorta close to the topic at hand.

Hmm.. I don't really see any posts other than yours that isn't within the topic of FULL TIME LIVING OR NEGATIVES OF TRAILER BRANDS..

OP has a huge hill to climb considering they are contemplating to get married, bringing a new wife into the mix and then attempt to LIVE in a RV and further education.

Would I consider what the OP proposes? Nope, considering my DW was less than enamored with the idea of camping (although she grew up with the tent thing and I grew up camping in a TC). Never considered approaching the subject for at least 4 yrs AFTER we got married.

Besides, I suspect this was a drive by post and the OP is long gone, noticed the SAME question posted on a different forum..

But hey, gives folks a subject to banter on..

trailer_newbe

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/19 08:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would not recommend getting a camper and living in it full time. Your situation is not ideal for this venture. You won’t save money like you may think for starters. You’ll also have to fix everything yourself on the camper, because taking to a dealer will throw a huge monkey wrench in your plans. Managing camp sites, water, sewer, propane, etc is going to be a headache if you are moving from site to site. Full timing sounds good on the surface, but it takes planning and money. Most folks sell their home, and bank the money, and retire when they full time.

2018 Jayco White Hawk 28RL

GrandpaKip

Flat Rock

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/01/19 11:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gdetrailer wrote:

GrandpaKip wrote:

Hmm.. I don't really see any posts other than yours that isn't within the topic of FULL TIME LIVING OR NEGATIVES OF TRAILER BRANDS..

OP has a huge hill to climb considering they are contemplating to get married, bringing a new wife into the mix and then attempt to LIVE in a RV and further education.

Would I consider what the OP proposes? Nope, considering my DW was less than enamored with the idea of camping (although she grew up with the tent thing and I grew up camping in a TC). Never considered approaching the subject for at least 4 yrs AFTER we got married.

Besides, I suspect this was a drive by post and the OP is long gone, noticed the SAME question posted on a different forum..

But hey, gives folks a subject to banter on..

‘Twas referring to the snarky post.
I agree wholeheartedly with your assessment. My first marriage would’ve been over long before it finally tanked if I had done what is being considered. Probably after the honeymoon.
And as winter approaches, the banter will increase. ;-)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> TT for full time living or negatives of trailer brands
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS