|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> TT for full time living or negatives of trailer brands

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
DutchmenSport

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/01/19 12:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

trail-explorer wrote:

DutchmenSport wrote:

I've literally rebuilt this thing from top to bottom. It is a good camper NOW!

How did you proceed with rebuilding the walls, floor and roof?
Did the factory supply you with new wall panels?

I know nothing about DutchmenSport's tool or skill set. But as somebody that has rebuilt both cars and a house from top to bottom I see no reason to question his statement.

Reattached / fixed / strengthened doors, cabinets, underbelly skirting, shelves - closet broken, falling apart, yanked from the wall, , and caulking on the roof, plumbing repairs, cracked fiberglass, electric wiring, furnace repair, water heater repair, tires (I didn't do that myself), wheels - brakes (yea, they got replaced, I didn't do that either), pull curtains (unbelievable ... every one of them needed repair), ... um ... just to name a few items. Most I did myself when the wait period was so long at my dealership for warranty work. And the first couple items I returned it back for warranty work, it was returned and the first trip after that, things broke again. That's when I took matters into my own hands. NO... I am not an aggressive driver either. Very few back roads, and I avoid interstates. But interstate bridges expansion joints is what's done the damage, shaking things literally apart!

nwoodco1

DFW-Texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/19 11:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello everyone, sorry for being absent. I actually got engaged so I was busy with all of that. First I have a tow vehicle that can tow 8,000 pounds with a tongue weight of 8000 pounds. We will either be in north texas or florida, so winter weather won't be harsh. I am not thinking I will save much money, but we will be moving around every 8 weeks for a while, so we need the flexibility.

nwoodco1

DFW-Texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/19 11:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

trailer_newbe wrote:

I would not recommend getting a camper and living in it full time. Your situation is not ideal for this venture. You won’t save money like you may think for starters. You’ll also have to fix everything yourself on the camper, because taking to a dealer will throw a huge monkey wrench in your plans. Managing camp sites, water, sewer, propane, etc is going to be a headache if you are moving from site to site. Full timing sounds good on the surface, but it takes planning and money. Most folks sell their home, and bank the money, and retire when they full time.

I am still here, was just busy. I did post it multiple places as not everyone is a member of all forums and I would like as much input as possible [emoticon]

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/19 12:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

nwoodco1 wrote:

trailer_newbe wrote:

I would not recommend getting a camper and living in it full time. Your situation is not ideal for this venture. You won’t save money like you may think for starters. You’ll also have to fix everything yourself on the camper, because taking to a dealer will throw a huge monkey wrench in your plans. Managing camp sites, water, sewer, propane, etc is going to be a headache if you are moving from site to site. Full timing sounds good on the surface, but it takes planning and money. Most folks sell their home, and bank the money, and retire when they full time.

I am still here, was just busy. I did post it multiple places as not everyone is a member of all forums and I would like as much input as possible [emoticon]

"Most folks sell their home, and bank the money, and retire when they full time."

Bingo.

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/19 02:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

nwoodco1 wrote:

Hello everyone, sorry for being absent. I actually got engaged so I was busy with all of that. First I have a tow vehicle that can tow 8,000 pounds with a tongue weight of 8000 pounds. We will either be in north texas or florida, so winter weather won't be harsh. I am not thinking I will save much money, but we will be moving around every 8 weeks for a while, so we need the flexibility.
A lot of people move for work and live in trailers. When the refinery has a turnaround all the rv parks within 30 miles fill up. Some people don't understand this and why you do not want a house in one location. Since you will be in moderate weather I would say find a floor plan that will work for you within your budget that you can tow with your truck. The better constructed RV'S will be way beyond the capacity of your truck.

frankgibbons1947

Small City, NY

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/19 02:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Congrats on your marriage! Now I will directly talk about the travel trailer brands you should choose and avoid.

First, avoid these TT brands, I found a very nice stat regarding what other RV'ers are avoiding.

1. Forest River travel trailer brand: 45%
2. Keystone travel trailer brand: 26%
3. Jayco travel trailer brand: 15%
4. Coachmen travel trailer brand: 5%
5. Winnebago travel trailer brand: 3%
6. Fleetwood travel trailer brand: 2%
7. Gulf Stream travel trailer brand: 1%

The survey detail is here along with lots of key reasons to avoid these brands.

Travel Trailer brands to avoid

Now, I'm giving my list of top travel trailer brands you should stick with.

1. Airstream Travel Trailer
2. Dutchmen Travel Trailer
3. Olivier Travel Trailer
4. Starcraft Travel Trailer
5. Lance Travel Trailer

WVcampground

WV

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/19 02:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

frankgibbons1947 wrote:

Congrats on your marriage! Now I will directly talk about the travel trailer brands you should choose and avoid.

First, avoid these TT brands, I found a very nice stat regarding what other RV'ers are avoiding.

5. Lance Travel Trailer

It might be a very nice stat but also a bogus stat. The #2 brand to stick with also happens to be managed under the #2 brand to avoid.

The #4 brand to avoid is a sub brand of the #1 brand to avoid.

A Dutchmen product is not even close to being in the same league as an Airstream or Oliver, an Oliver has completely different construction than anything else listed, including Airstream.

Going by what to avoid, avoid about 90% of everything available. Which may be a good idea regardless [emoticon]

The author has vast experience. He must have taken the crash course lol. He spent significant time during the last 5 years conquering beautiful pristine lands LOL. WTH does that even mean? Furthermore he does not hit on the fact that most of the long time brands he mentions went belly up @ 08 and were snatched up by either Forest River or Thor Industries which between the two hold over 80% market share. He must have done his research looking at other bloggers. Of course you have more complaints towards the brands with the majority of market presence. All RVs will leak eventually if not maintained.

"Carlos Perry’s passion for outdoor activities can be traced back to 5 years ago when he spent a significant time to conquer beautiful pristine lands and experience different cultures with his best friends. Currently working as a blogger, he takes pride in providing comprehensive contents about camping knowledge, survival skills based on his own experience. A lot of his work was published on well-known travel magazines like"

* This post was edited 11/04/19 02:49am by WVcampground *

2012Coleman

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/19 05:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are you buying this TT new or used?

You stated "First I have a tow vehicle that can tow 8,000 pounds with a tongue weight of 8000 pounds."

What vehicle has a tongue weight of 8000 lbs?

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/19 06:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

frankgibbons1947 wrote:

5. Lance Travel Trailer
It's obvious you know nothing about RV'S since some of your brands you should stick with are built by the brands you should avoid.

GrandpaKip

Flat Rock

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/04/19 07:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

nwoodco1 wrote:

Congratulations.
If you post the tow vehicle’s brand, size and payload, everyone will be able to help you further. Tow rating really doesn’t mean much.
I wouldn’t pay too much attention to brand; they’re all pretty much the same basic quality for box style trailers.
If you are going to stay with your truck, you’ll have to match a trailer to it. That’s why I mentioned the payload (found on the driver’s door jamb). That’s where to start.
Good luck and have fun with the search.

Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> TT for full time living or negatives of trailer brands
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS