|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Grease gun/ grease recommendations

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Lwiddis

Veterans’ Park, Monterey, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/30/19 06:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

EZ lube just doesn’t work.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/19 07:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bpounds wrote:

Same old nonsense from those scaredy-cats who won't use their EZ lube feature. Just ignore that.

Follow instructions on how to use the EZ lube axles. You can find a video on it. Most importantly is to raise the wheel and rotate it while you slowly pump the grease. Watch around the spindle nut area, and as soon as you see the slightest movement of the old grease, stop. It is full.

Yes it will use a lot of grease the first time you do it, because the factory did not fill the voids in the hub. After the first time, it will take LESS grease than if you packed by hand. It shouldn't take more than 2 tubes the first time to do all 4 hubs. Buy 3 to be safe. Not a big expense.

Well a member here did his two axle TT, for the first time, and he reported 3.5 tubes of grease. This will of course vary depending on just how much the factory put in. But since grease costs money, and they make thousands of axles, and most here report little grease in theirs.. It is a pretty safe bet there isn't much in there.

As for the video. It really is meant to convince those that do not think mechanical things thru.

The Dexter video makes it look simple and easy....

Well here is what it doesn't tell you:
At the intial grease gun greasing, you will pump grease in while slowly rotating the wheel. This will (hopefully) push the old grease out of the inner bearing and into the hub cavity. Much more pumping will be needed and almost a tube of grease before the inner bearing grease reaches the outer bearing and pushes its grease out. The video shows a band of dirty grease exiting, followed by some clean grease, and they call it good..... And IF the hub was empty and IF no grease pushed past the inner seals onto the brakes, you would be.

But IF there was some clean grease in the hub, or at the next greasing when there will be a filled hub,,,, the results will be different.
What would happen is the dirty inner bearing grease would be pushed out of the inner bearing, pushing the clean grease in the hub which will push the dirty outer bearing grease out... Just like the video shows... Problem is, that is just the outer bearing grease you see. The inner bearing grease is still in there somewhere. Just where it is is anyones guess. If the hub was perfectly filled with grease, and your grease pumping wheel rotating was perfect (not likely) there will be a dounut shaped section of dirty grease still in the hub between the inner and outer bearings. But since you cannot see it, you do not know if this dirty grease is a perfect donut shape, or if it is stretched out of shape, or if any of it made it to the outer bearing. IOW, at thae second, and all subsequent greasings, you need to pump in enough grease to see TWO areas of dirty grease exit... That will almost a tube of grease per wheel. And that is how it would need to be done EACH time.

That is a LOT of pumping. The more pumping, the more likely grease will leak past the seal and onto the brakes.

Since you have to remove the drum to inspect the brakes anyway....Just grease the bearings by hand then.
This is cheaper, better and safer than using the zerks.

But if you do not want to or cannot handle this job, you will not want to deal with grease on the brakes either.

As always, your money, your choice.

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2010 Palomino Sabre 30 BHDS
84 gal. Grey. 84 gal. Black
2 bathrooms, no waiting
2011 Silverado CC DA big dually.

ChuckSteed

Mtn Home, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/30/19 07:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do yourself a favor and follow the procedure specified in Dexters on service manual.. that means pulling the hubs, taking the seal out, cleaning and inspecting..etc... Also if you just lump grease in those fittings you can’t see condition of brakes, magnet, and hold down hardware.

Old school way... tried, true, and tested for decades.

And... view this link,, it’s from Dexters website.. video on how t9 grease wheel bearings...

Notice..the axle the6 are working on is an EZ lube axle hub... easily identified by the yellow axle nut retainer

https://www.dexteraxle.com/resources/videos/bearing-maintenance

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/31/19 07:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ScottG wrote:

there is no need to do them every year.

Except when using cheap, Chinese junk bearings from eTrailer and most other suppliers, then 8 months is too long.

[image]

GrandpaKip

Flat Rock

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/31/19 08:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do both. Use the zerk every year in the spring and repack by hand every fourth year.
Never had grease on the brakes or any other problem.

Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

mbopp

Henrietta, NY, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/31/19 11:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As for a grease gun - I have a Lincoln pistol-grip that takes the full size grease tubes. Grease is Valvoline GM Red, it's Dexter approved and I can get it in tubs and tubes. I put 600 miles this year on my trailer and I'm not about to repack the bearings.

2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2012 F-150 XLT Ecoboost ("EcoBeast") supercab
Just DW & me......

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/31/19 11:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

ScottG wrote:

there is no need to do them every year.

Except when using cheap, Chinese junk bearings from eTrailer and most other suppliers, then 8 months is too long.

[image]

That is 1 CRAPPY looking foreign bearing !

Me-Her-the kids
2015 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020Redwood 3991RD Garnet

trail-explorer

NM

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/19 12:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bpounds wrote:

Yes it will use a lot of grease the first time you do it, because the factory did not fill the voids in the hub. After the first time, it will take LESS grease than if you packed by hand. It shouldn't take more than 2 tubes the first time to do all 4 hubs. Buy 3 to be safe. Not a big expense.

There is absolutely ZERO reason to totally pack a wheel hub full of grease.

Even when following the instructions on proper EZ Lube technique, you still run the risk of blowing the grease past the inner seal once you jam the hub full of grease, then your brakes are shot.

I've seen it happen. There;s a video I need to find and post.

Bob

trailer_newbe

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/19 09:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have 1,000 miles on my 2018 trailer with EZ lube Zirks. I think I’ll do it the old fashioned way the first time.

2018 Jayco White Hawk 28RL

dieseltruckdriver

Black Hills of SD

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/19 09:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am going to add my post in the "do it by hand" column.

I bought a new Arctic Fox, and I just knew that my 5er would be the one that they did correctly.

Well, Dexter sent me two new brakes. One for each side. It is a great system when it works, but there is a lot of times it doesn't. When the grease gets on your brake shoes, you don't get dependable braking any more. I didn't know it until I was coming down out of the Bighorns on US 14 on the east side (the steep one). I pulled over to let traffic pass, and I had one hub on each side that was cold.

I drove truck for 17 years, and have a lot of experience with mountain driving, so I check my tires, brakes and hubs at every stop. I believe in looking at all parts of my brake system regularly. Annually is enough for shoes and bearings in my opinion.

I spent a Saturday morning putting new backing plates with brakes on my 5er, instead of fishing. You can call me a scaredy cat, but I am not. I got bit, now I do it my way.

2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Grease gun/ grease recommendations
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS