|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Grease gun/ grease recommendations

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/19 04:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I had a boat trailer I would pack my bearings by hand. Then I would fill the hub as well as I could by hand. (Grease in bucket is cheaper than tube). Then I would use the zerk to fill the hub. But I don't dunk the warm wheels/hubs in cold dirty water.

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/01/19 06:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

trailer_newbe wrote:

I have 1,000 miles on my 2018 trailer with EZ lube Zirks. I think I’ll do it the old fashioned way the first time.

I will always service the brakes and bearings immediately with a new or used trailer. I have seen enough to not trust these things to luck.

trail-explorer

NM

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/19 07:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

trail-explorer wrote:

There's a video I need to find and post.

Here's on video

Here's another

Bob

Ride S40T

OK

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/19 07:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Huntindog wrote:

Peter2516 wrote:

For EZ lube axle, what brand do you use for the wheel bearing grease.
Thank you -Peter
Do not use a grease gun on your axles.
In order to use this zerk feature, and completely purge the old grease out (maybe) it would take almost 4 tubes of grease at each greasing.... And it would most likely get past the inner seals and onto the brakes.
That creates quite a mess... Just don't do it.

This is what I've read for a while...so I called Dexter and asked their tech dept. They said using the zerk is the preferred method for greasing the bearings each year.

I specifically asked them about grease getting past the rear seal. They had no concern as long as a hand pump is used.

Wonder why they recommend as the zerk as the primary method? It would be a liability for them if they recommended something that could be a safety hazard for their customers.

That said, there is no doubt the hand method provides more piece of mind and ensures all is well with the internals.

2019 Keystone Outback 250URS
2019 GMC Sierra Denali HD 3500 SRW
Traveling K9s Diesel and Roger

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/19 11:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ride S40T wrote:

Huntindog wrote:

Peter2516 wrote:

For EZ lube axle, what brand do you use for the wheel bearing grease.
Thank you -Peter
Do not use a grease gun on your axles.
In order to use this zerk feature, and completely purge the old grease out (maybe) it would take almost 4 tubes of grease at each greasing.... And it would most likely get past the inner seals and onto the brakes.
That creates quite a mess... Just don't do it.

This is what I've read for a while...so I called Dexter and asked their tech dept. They said using the zerk is the preferred method for greasing the bearings each year.

I specifically asked them about grease getting past the rear seal. They had no concern as long as a hand pump is used.

Wonder why they recommend as the zerk as the primary method? It would be a liability for them if they recommended something that could be a safety hazard for their customers.

That said, there is no doubt the hand method provides more piece of mind and ensures all is well with the internals.

The printed manual states that annual disassembly and inspection is required maintainence. It is on page 84.

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2010 Palomino Sabre 30 BHDS
84 gal. Grey. 84 gal. Black
2 bathrooms, no waiting
2011 Silverado CC DA big dually.

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/04/19 06:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

trailer_newbe wrote:

I have 1,000 miles on my 2018 trailer with EZ lube Zirks. I think I’ll do it the old fashioned way the first time.

I will always service the brakes and bearings immediately with a new or used trailer. I have seen enough to not trust these things to luck.

Both good thoughts! On a new trailer, from my experience, of many types of new trailers, only one had what I considered to be a good grease pack. As mentioned, a used trailer should be checked/packed soon after purchase.

In either case, disassembly/cleaning, and then packing yourself, you'll know it is done right, and the exact grease used, especially if you plan to use the EZs in the future.

Jerry

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/19 06:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MFL wrote:

As mentioned, a used trailer should be checked/packed soon after purchase.

I have two cargo trailers at the moment. The big one (8.5x20) was is a 2008 model year. I purchased in 2012. The guy I bought it from used it a LOT, for hauling race cars. I asked him if he'd ever repacked the bearings. He said he hadn't, but he pumped grease in the EZ Lube hub periodically.

When I pulled out of his driveway, I manually activated the brakes with my brake controller. I couldn't feel any braking. I kept cranking up the gain setting and ended up all the way at the highest setting where I barely felt any braking action. I knew at that moment there were issues with the brakes.

Once I had time to dig in to the brakes, I found all 4 had blown rear seals. It seems that the "path of least resistance" for the grease it to blow out the rear seal. The place on the axle where the grease exits the spindle when using the zerk, is a small hole partially covered by the inner bearing.

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2009 Arctic Fox 811 (bought new 11/9/09)
2015 Nash 17k (bought pre-owned 5/23/18)
2008 Haulmark 8.5x20 toy box trailer

Mr Faster

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/19 01:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was an RV service manager for many years. I may be a little old school but I prefer hand or injector packing verses pumping grease through a zerk fitting. I've seen to many hubs over filled with grease, seal blown out and bearings overheated. Just remember it's the path of least resistance. you may be pumping in grease but it might not be going where you want it to. That being said, some grease is better than no grease...lol

My recommendation to my customers is to pull the hub, clean and inspect the spindle, bearings, and brakes if equiped. replace anything that is suspect. If bearings are to be changed. I recommend using Timken or equivalent high quality REM polished bearings. Hand or injector pack the bearings with Daylube or Microlon wheel bearing grease. And ALWAYS replace the seal. Do this yearly. Kits available at negearpolish.com It makes a big difference.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Grease gun/ grease recommendations
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS