|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Grease gun/ grease recommendations

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Vintage465

Prunedale CA.

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/20 06:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My experience and thoughts. I figured I'd try the EZ lube as I can think of nothing much nicer than super easy wheel bearing greasing. Also figured most issues people has was 'cause they did it wrong. I did it right and got grease in my brakes. I think what happens is since the hub is full of grease when it gets hot, pressure builds in the hub and grease is forced past the seal. Say you only do week end camping....30 miles to the beach or hills. I think you could "Dexter" it all you want. I think for those of us who bomb down Hwy 40 in the heat of the summer day at 65 mph the likely hood of getting grease in your brakes is far greater. I will be manually greasing mine from now on as we do a fair amount of 8hr a day towing.

V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retiring in 2021, then look-out road, here we come!

bpounds

Sophmore Brain...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/18/20 09:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Problem with that ^ theory is that there is a rubber boot built into the hub cover cap that expands to relieve any pressure. On hot runs I see those boots bulged outward and cold they are pulled inward.

2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/20 10:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Both camps here.
There is merit to “doing it wrong” and blowing out the seals.
There is merit to disassembly and inspection.
And there is nothing wrong with adding some grease thru an easy lube or bearing buddy IF you know what you’re doing and understand.

Grease? I’m not generally a “this oil, grease , lube is the best” fanboy but I typically use Lucas red n tacky for basically all applications. Bearings, u joints, front end parts etc.

Seems to last the longest. But anecdotal evidence only, I only grease our old commercial mowers once a year. They get used weekly for a couple hours from Apr to Oct. Just homeowner use keeping up 5 acres.
If those blade and spindle bearings survive then it’s good grease.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/20 10:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grease guns?
Depends how much you use them or what level of convienence you want.
Manual , air powered or cordless electric. From cheap to expensive

wopachop

Who run bartertown

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/20 12:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old thread that got bumped but i recently did my truck front tire bearings. Read a lot about greases and settled on the fully synthetic valvoline. Its in the gun i dont have the model number but pretty sure its #4 on the list that was posted above.

I didnt expect to choose that grease. I kinda view Valvoline as midrange, while i view lucas and timkin as high quality. Not sure why maybe the advertisers got me. Have used Lucas products for years.

I forget what the heck i learned, but you need to look into the type of grease. There is lithium, moly, extra virgin olive oil. They all have benefits and negatives. They also dont play nice with each other.

Installed new ball joints and tie rods and also wanted the grease to be compatible with that. I wrote the company (detroit axle...fingers crossed...ive read mixed reviews...sure was cheap in price) and asked what they pumped in there. Again i dont remember what they said. But after all the nonsense i did end up learning the Valvoline fully synthetic would work great for my high speed wheel bearing as well as the low speed ball joints.

Biggest negative was i wanted red grease. Looks clean to me. Not even joking i was bummed that the grease i will never see wasnt red!!!

falconbrother

North Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/20/20 12:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use the EZ Lube feature every year. Never had a problem. I jack up the axle under the "U" bolt. Then I check/adjust the brakes, then I add a few squirts of grease till I see it pushing out of the front, while spinning the tire. Then on to the next axle. All four axles can be done in a half hour easy. I use the grease gun that I inherited from my grandfather. It's probably as old as I am.

Dexter video

Wishin

Grand Rapids, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/22/20 09:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think another factor in using the grease zerk (EZ Lube) feature is the temperature of the grease and bearings. If you are doing this on a cold spring day in cold weather to get ready to go on the first trip of the year, the grease is much thicker and harder to work thru the bearings and possibly more likely to push out the axle seal and get into your brakes. Might be better to do it in the middle of the summer on a 90 degree day. Also, make sure the trailer wheel is off the ground and rotating while you do it.

Me, I just do it manually by hand every 2 years or 10k miles. I have had one failure, not sure what caused it but the axle was likely over loaded as well. That is why my 8k lb trailer now has 5200 lb axles instead of 3500 lb axles. The bearings on the bigger axles are HUGE compared to the original bearings. I also monitor my bearings with an infrared heat gun to make sure they are staying cool. No issue the last few years with the bigger axles. Before I just check by hand so it is hard to say. It was also super hot the few days before I had my issue and I was in Arizona near the NM line when I saw smoke from the trailer. Fire extinguisher came in handy!

There are a lot of variables to consider to keep your bearings and brakes happy. Good luck.

2014 Wildwood 26TBSS - Upgraded with 5200lb axles and larger Goodyear ST tires
2003 Chevrolet 2500 4x4 Suburban 8.1L 4.10's
1996 Buick Roadmaster Wagon

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/22/20 09:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've used Lucas Red N Tacky #2 and Mystik Red #2.

* This post was edited 10/22/20 10:04pm by azdryheat *

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2016 RZR 900

Vintage465

Prunedale CA.

View Profile

Posted: 10/23/20 06:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bpounds wrote:

Problem with that ^ theory is that there is a rubber boot built into the hub cover cap that expands to relieve any pressure. On hot runs I see those boots bulged outward and cold they are pulled inward.

Well, we all seem to have different thoughts on this subject. It works for some and not for others. One thing for certain, when the pressure builds in the hub the grease is going to take the path of least resistance. In my case it was the seals into the drums, possibly because my coach had between 25 and 30 thousand miles on the seals.

campigloo

Baton Rouge, La

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/24/20 10:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The void in the hub is meant to dissipate heat. Don’t fill it with grease. Best to grease and inspect them by hand.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Grease gun/ grease recommendations
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.