|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> NOISEY GENERATOR

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
SM49

ontario

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/06/19 01:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the replies

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 11/06/19 02:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DrewE wrote:

DFord wrote:

Unfortunately, OEM generators for RVs all operate at a constant speed of 1800 or 3600 RPM in order to produce 60Hz power. So far, Onan and Generac have failed to get up to speed with inverter technology that would allow them to run only as fast as required to meet usage demands.

I few years ago, I corned a rep at the Onan booth at an FMCA rally and raised a fuss with him about their using such ancient technology. He liked what I said and made a video of me complaining on his camera to take back to the factory. I haven't heard anything about upgrades to their products so far but they're way past due!

The (diesel fueled) Onan QD 6000 and QD 8000 RV generators are inverter generators that vary their engine speed with changes in the load.

I don’t believe they’re in the RV built-in generator market any longer, but the nearly 20 year old Generac 36LP model in my TC is an inverter generator. In many ways it was ahead of the technology at the time, and finding a technician that actually knew and understood the inverter and control system on them when they needed service was difficult. Consequently, they developed a bad reputation from techs who couldn’t fix them. Parts tended to be pretty expensive too, and it’s even worse now that they are orphaned. Mine still starts up quickly, and runs fine though, knock on wood [emoticon]

[emoticon][emoticon]

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450

Range Maggot Bob

Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 11/06/19 03:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow. Lwiddis and MDKMDK- you guys are really a lot of help for someone looking for information.

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/06/19 08:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

* This post was edited 11/06/19 08:39pm by down home *

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/10/19 11:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Range Maggot Bob wrote:

Wow. Lwiddis and MDKMDK- you guys are really a lot of help for someone looking for information.

Yeah ... you get solar fanatics chiming in all over in the RV forums.

For sunny RV drycamping in mild enough weather, of course one can get by with solar - even "only solar" if combined with large enough batteries and pure sine wave inverters.

But for intentional RV shade drycamping and intentional or unintentional RV hot weather drycamping in the sun or in the shade, a truly self-contained setup must have adequate generator capability along.

We like our RV "to be ready for anything at any time", which requires a convenient generator arrangement that is quiet enough inside and outside ... whether running for short or extended times when drycamping.

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca Spirit 24V

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> NOISEY GENERATOR
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS