|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> NOISEY GENERATOR

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/30/19 09:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just as some clarification comments:

1. Our built-in Onan RV generator changes loudness level with the instantaneous amperage load on it - even though it's running at a constant 3600 RPM. i.e. It's not as loud when running the microwave or electric heater as it is when running the air conditioner. BTW, wlhenever the inverter generators are called upon to deliver their full loads - they spin at above 4000 RPM ... which indeed makes them "loud" then.

2. Our built-in 4000 watt built-in RV generator only consumes about 0.4 gallons per hour when delivering it's full load. As comparison, our 4400 watt stick house emergency generator averages at least 12 hours runtime on 5 gallons of regular E10 gas.

3. However as full discloser, for long battery charging runs when RV drycamping we carry along one of the quietest portable suitcase generators ever offered ... and it runs at a constant 3600 RPM up to it's maximum power output level at a constant hum level of only 54 dBA. That little genny is the long discontinued (but still available used) Honda EX650.

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca Spirit 24V

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/19 10:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DFord wrote:

Unfortunately, OEM generators for RVs all operate at a constant speed of 1800 or 3600 RPM in order to produce 60Hz power. So far, Onan and Generac have failed to get up to speed with inverter technology that would allow them to run only as fast as required to meet usage demands.

I few years ago, I corned a rep at the Onan booth at an FMCA rally and raised a fuss with him about their using such ancient technology. He liked what I said and made a video of me complaining on his camera to take back to the factory. I haven't heard anything about upgrades to their products so far but they're way past due!

The (diesel fueled) Onan QD 6000 and QD 8000 RV generators are inverter generators that vary their engine speed with changes in the load.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/30/19 10:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do you run the air conditioner a lot when off grid? Otherwise 200+ watts of solar and a Honda 2200 might help.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

maillemaker

office

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/31/19 09:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is not much you can do. Sound deadener can help, but as was said make sure it's fireproof and make sure you don't intrude into the airspace around the generator.

In my RV the generator compartment is totally open on the bottom. So parking over pavement makes it seem a lot louder than parking over grass.

I have considered buying some sort of "egg crate foam" to lay on the ground under the generator. But there's always the risk of it getting blown around or sucked up into the generator area blocking airflow. I've also considered building some kind of foldable "dog house" that you could set up next to the RV to block in some of the sound. But that would be a pain to stow.

1990 Winnebago Warrior. "She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts!"

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/31/19 10:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

maillemaker wrote:

There is not much you can do. Sound deadener can help, but as was said make sure it's fireproof and make sure you don't intrude into the airspace around the generator.

In my RV the generator compartment is totally open on the bottom. So parking over pavement makes it seem a lot louder than parking over grass.

I have considered buying some sort of "egg crate foam" to lay on the ground under the generator. But there's always the risk of it getting blown around or sucked up into the generator area blocking airflow. I've also considered building some kind of foldable "dog house" that you could set up next to the RV to block in some of the sound. But that would be a pain to stow.

How about a piece of heavy carpet (that is easy to store) and that you just lay on the ground under the generator compartment? I've also noticed that the outside sound is reduced when parked on grass or dirt, so a piece of heavy carpet there should work pretty good.

* This post was edited 10/31/19 08:05pm by pnichols *

ksg5000

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/19 11:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lots of threads about how to mitigate noise of RV generators - use the forum search feature. Std's include isolating the generator box with sound dampening material etc. Noise is relative - I hate the air conditioner far more than my Onan 4000.

Kevin

maillemaker

office

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/31/19 12:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

How about a piece of heavy carpet (that is easy to store) and that you just lay on the ground under the generator compartment? I've also noticed that the outside sound is reduced when parked or grass or dirt, so a piece of heavy carpet there should work pretty good.

Might work.

Steve

Lwiddis

Los Angeles area :(

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/31/19 07:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“for long battery charging runs when RV drycamping...”

For long battery charging runs (absorption), solar is the better answer.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/19 08:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The comedians aside, what pnichols said will reduce it. I have a soft paneled sound shield for my boats 6kw diesel genny. There is no getting rid of the hum. The best to be hoped for is a reduction.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

jjrbus

FT Myers FL

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/19 07:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When doing bus conversions we built sound box's for the generators, they can be quieted down, same as boats. What the RV manufactures sell is unconscionable!

Google generator sound box to get some ideas but there is unlikely enough room to do much.

Then they duct the AC units and put a hole in the ceiling directly under the motor and blower fan. Yep that makes a lot of sense!

For some people no amount of noise is an issue, wish I was one of them. I am sensitive to noise and firing up the genny and turning on the AC is like running a shop vac in the RV 24/7. I use a Honda 2000 and an 8k window unit.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> NOISEY GENERATOR
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS