|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> More campers than parks

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
2oldman

Ca

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/19 05:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

stevennlv wrote:

Pretty much anything north of Boise along the rivers in the summer time is gorgeous.
Burley along the Snake is (was) one of my favorites.

mdcamping

CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/31/19 05:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"More campers than parks"

We still working 40 and I do 90% of my booking in January, now except for the reservations I know I need to book a year in advance, some of which I have had hrs, minutes or seconds to book a popular campground in a preferred location, and yeah the last 5 yrs it seems to be getting worse... good for business for the rv parks/campgrounds I guess.

Were not set up for boondocking, doesn't make sense for us, especially with us still working and our present "bridge" RV [emoticon]

Mike

07 Toyota Tacoma,Double Cab, Max Towing 6,500lbs GCWR 11,100lbs
2011 Jayco X20E, Pro Series 800lb Weight Distributing Hitch
Husky Sway Bar, Prodigy Electronic Brake Control
McKesh Mirrors. "Towing with 200K"

Where we have camped

am1958

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/19 06:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lightning55 wrote:

This year we have only been out in the 5th wheel 2-3 times because we can't find any places to go that haven't been sold out on the weekends. Northern CA State parks, especially on or near the coast seem to be booked solid, even this late in the year. Going east into the foothills or Sierras isn't much better.

It's probably people all running away from the fires you have there...

Just a thought...

stevennlv

Louisville

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/31/19 06:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think it might have to do the fact that a lot more people are becoming full-timers. A lot of us have never recovered fully from the great recession. That's a big part of why I became a full timer. I live in a mid-range nice park. It has good amenities and is extremely well maintained. It's not high scale or upend, it's mid-range priced. I've been living here about a year. I think we have about 150 spaces. I have not counted but if I had to take a guess I would say roughly 110 of those are long-term full-time residents. I know we have a waiting list for the month leases that's a year long. We have so many long-term families in here that we actually have a school bus stop inside the park.

I was looking at maybe relocating. I was spitballing a few ideas on job markets and doing some research. I looked at several different cities in a few different states in the northwest. The parks that appear to be similar to what I'm in now had waiting lists for month leases that ran anywhere from 18 to 24 months.

A couple of years ago I was up in Boise. I stayed in a mid to lower end park at the time. It was by far not the worst I've seen but nowhere near as nice as what I have now and significantly cheaper than what I have now. It was not a meth lab / biker kind of place, which I have seen. But it was definitely full of a lot of older trashy units and folks on hard times. Even that park now has a two-year waiting list.

My personal opinion is that a lot of people are finally starting to figure out that modern homes are not worth it especially in uncertain economic times. I did construction when I was young. Most stuff built before the 50s or 60s (before my time) in this country was built with durability in mind. I've got a buddy that's a contractor now. He tells me that modern houses are basically just slapped together and are only designed to last 30 years, basically the life of the mortgage. And as soon as you pay it off it's a falling apart piece of junk and you need another one. One example I love, when I was a kid stucco was done with metal lath and a mixture not dissimilar from concrete in texture and "heaviness". Now so-called stucco is thin-crete sprayed over styrofoam and chicken wire.

Unless you go all high scale / up end your average track home now is built with no more quality than your average RV. And while both are going to fall apart an RV cost a lot less and if taken care of might even actually last as long as the 30-year house. Even if it doesn't I can buy an RV every 10 years for 30 years and still come nowhere near the price of house that is designed to only last 30 years.

Lwiddis

Los Angeles area :(

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/31/19 07:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You need to look harder.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/31/19 08:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you stick with CA state parks, you're going to have trouble. Instead look at COE and BOR camprounds in the foothills. I can always find a campsite this time of year at those campgrounds.

As for the coast, it's always going to be tough to get a spot regardless of time of year.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

badsix

north bend or.

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/19 09:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

don't plan on driving into a campground in Oregon in the summer without res. there are dry camping areas if you know where to look.
Jay D.

RGar974417

Robesonia,Pa 19551

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/19 06:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Go from Sunday to Thursday. Easier to get reservations and fewer people. We do it most of the time.

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/01/19 06:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RGar974417 wrote:

Go from Sunday to Thursday. Easier to get reservations and fewer people. We do it most of the time.

Not sure if you are retired yet, or not but .. Going on those days while working is not an option depending on your work schedule.

I stay at a State Park down in Delaware, we already have our Memorial Day. July 4th , and labor day trips booked for 2020...

Me-Her-the kids
2015 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020Redwood 3991RD Garnet

IdaD

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/19 07:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

stevennlv wrote:

I think it might have to do the fact that a lot more people are becoming full-timers. A lot of us have never recovered fully from the great recession. That's a big part of why I became a full timer. I live in a mid-range nice park. It has good amenities and is extremely well maintained. It's not high scale or upend, it's mid-range priced. I've been living here about a year. I think we have about 150 spaces. I have not counted but if I had to take a guess I would say roughly 110 of those are long-term full-time residents. I know we have a waiting list for the month leases that's a year long. We have so many long-term families in here that we actually have a school bus stop inside the park.

I was looking at maybe relocating. I was spitballing a few ideas on job markets and doing some research. I looked at several different cities in a few different states in the northwest. The parks that appear to be similar to what I'm in now had waiting lists for month leases that ran anywhere from 18 to 24 months.

A couple of years ago I was up in Boise. I stayed in a mid to lower end park at the time. It was by far not the worst I've seen but nowhere near as nice as what I have now and significantly cheaper than what I have now. It was not a meth lab / biker kind of place, which I have seen. But it was definitely full of a lot of older trashy units and folks on hard times. Even that park now has a two-year waiting list.

My personal opinion is that a lot of people are finally starting to figure out that modern homes are not worth it especially in uncertain economic times. I did construction when I was young. Most stuff built before the 50s or 60s (before my time) in this country was built with durability in mind. I've got a buddy that's a contractor now. He tells me that modern houses are basically just slapped together and are only designed to last 30 years, basically the life of the mortgage. And as soon as you pay it off it's a falling apart piece of junk and you need another one. One example I love, when I was a kid stucco was done with metal lath and a mixture not dissimilar from concrete in texture and "heaviness". Now so-called stucco is thin-crete sprayed over styrofoam and chicken wire.

Unless you go all high scale / up end your average track home now is built with no more quality than your average RV. And while both are going to fall apart an RV cost a lot less and if taken care of might even actually last as long as the 30-year house. Even if it doesn't I can buy an RV every 10 years for 30 years and still come nowhere near the price of house that is designed to only last 30 years.

With all due respect, that's a whole pile of really misguided opinions. Homes are built far better than RVs, even basic new construction homes, and while many of the components certainly have finite lifetimes, with proper maintenance a home will basically last indefinitely. Home ownership is also a major driver of wealth in the US. In my own case a fairly significant percentage of our household net worth is in the form of home equity, and our current home has appreciated significantly since we bought it about 8 years ago. Show me an RV that'll do that.

As far as full time and part time camper overlap, I'm sure there's some in state parks during the summer. I don't think there are many campers in the type of parks you're describing, though.

2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> More campers than parks
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS