RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: More campers than parks

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

 > More campers than parks

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
bikendan

Camano Island, Wash.

Senior Member

Joined: 11/21/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 11/03/19 01:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lightning55 wrote:

Wow, this thread has gone full circle! Thanks for all the input. I'm still a working guy so weekends are my only option. Even trying to book spots 6 months in advance hasn't worked for any of the beach or lake spots. When advance reservations open up for these places they are filled within seconds. Can't click fast enough. I guess we'll start just taking whatever we can find. There's probably spots in the privately owned places we can check out. Just too many people here that have RVs.


Unfortunately California and many other states haven't developed more campgrounds, to keep up with population growth. This is mainly due to, especially in California, all the laws, restrictions and costs to do this. Try and name any new campgrounds, over the past 25 years, in California's state and national parks. Yet the population has doubled over the past 50 years.


Dan- Firefighter, Retired">, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur">, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP">), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes


Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

Senior Member

Joined: 03/28/2018

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 11/04/19 11:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bikendan wrote:

Lightning55 wrote:

Wow, this thread has gone full circle! Thanks for all the input. I'm still a working guy so weekends are my only option. Even trying to book spots 6 months in advance hasn't worked for any of the beach or lake spots. When advance reservations open up for these places they are filled within seconds. Can't click fast enough. I guess we'll start just taking whatever we can find. There's probably spots in the privately owned places we can check out. Just too many people here that have RVs.


Unfortunately California and many other states haven't developed more campgrounds, to keep up with population growth. This is mainly due to, especially in California, all the laws, restrictions and costs to do this. Try and name any new campgrounds, over the past 25 years, in California's state and national parks. Yet the population has doubled over the past 50 years.


I think California has the most public parks as a ratio to the total state's land mass.

The issue is that everyone and his brothers, including me, go there for vacation for the sights and the weather.

I don't know if the word is out yet and weed is also legal in WA and OR -- and they can have their own share of these kind of tourists and CA can have less second hand smoke pollution in Venice Beach .[emoticon]

Maybe, to prevent congestion, the state should screen out by IQ test and driving abilities, LOL.[emoticon]

* This post was edited 11/04/19 01:26pm by Yosemite Sam1 *

bikendan

Camano Island, Wash.

Senior Member

Joined: 11/21/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 11/04/19 01:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

bikendan wrote:

Lightning55 wrote:

Wow, this thread has gone full circle! Thanks for all the input. I'm still a working guy so weekends are my only option. Even trying to book spots 6 months in advance hasn't worked for any of the beach or lake spots. When advance reservations open up for these places they are filled within seconds. Can't click fast enough. I guess we'll start just taking whatever we can find. There's probably spots in the privately owned places we can check out. Just too many people here that have RVs.


Unfortunately California and many other states haven't developed more campgrounds, to keep up with population growth. This is mainly due to, especially in California, all the laws, restrictions and costs to do this. Try and name any new campgrounds, over the past 25 years, in California's state and national parks. Yet the population has doubled over the past 50 years.


I think California has the most public parks as a ratio to the total state's land mass.

The issue is that everyone and his brothers, including me, go there for vacation for the sights and the weather.

I don't know if the word is out yet and weed is also legal in WA and OR -- and they can have their own share of these kind of tourists and CA can less second hand smoke pollution in Venice Beach .[emoticon]

Maybe, to prevent congestion, the state should screen out by IQ test and driving abilities, LOL.[emoticon]


I specifically referred to new "campgrounds". Sam, I was born and lived in California. I camped all ove the state, mainly state parks, for 40 years. Still camp there every year, since leaving the state.
So I'm quite familiar with the status of campgrounds, in California's state and national parks.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

Senior Member

Joined: 03/28/2018

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 11/04/19 01:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bikendan wrote:


I specifically referred to new "campgrounds". Sam, I was born and lived in California. I camped all ove the state, mainly state parks, for 40 years. Still camp there every year, since leaving the state.
So I'm quite familiar with the status of campgrounds, in California's state and national parks.


They might not have seen the need.

CA is my go-to campgrounds. And I may have shorter in-state camping as yours but as I've seen, all the coastal, lake, rivers etc, eg, popular sites are always fully booked.

But try inland campgrounds, campers are pretty sparse. I went camping several times during our hunting trips, and sometimes, we are the only ones in the campground.

Donna Jean

waterford

New Member

Joined: 10/30/2019

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/04/19 07:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

this thread makes me very scared of what is ahead for my husband and I. we are putting our home up for sale in the spring and plan to buy a DP and live full time for 6 months or longer before relocating from MI to TN. Since we will not be able to start this adventure before we sell our house we have no idea on when it will start so trying to book far in advance is going to be a big problem. Our hope is to be on the road by August and spend time first in CO then move on to UT. I hope we are not homeless with a MH and no where to park it

jplante4

Cape Cod

Moderator

Joined: 07/29/2014

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/05/19 06:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Donna Jean wrote:

this thread makes me very scared of what is ahead for my husband and I. we are putting our home up for sale in the spring and plan to buy a DP and live full time for 6 months or longer before relocating from MI to TN. Since we will not be able to start this adventure before we sell our house we have no idea on when it will start so trying to book far in advance is going to be a big problem. Our hope is to be on the road by August and spend time first in CO then move on to UT. I hope we are not homeless with a MH and no where to park it


In most areas of the country, 6 month advanced booking is not required. We've done several trips where we were booked only a couple of stops ahead. Unless you want to be in a particular place at a particular time, you can still somewhat wing it.

* This post was edited 11/06/19 05:18pm by jplante4 *


Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox


ppine

Northern Nevada

Senior Member

Joined: 07/04/2016

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/05/19 06:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Spacecowboy7 wrote:

I’ve found that the best spots are always booked solid months ahead, you need to check reservation web sites often for cancellations.


Depends on how you look at it. I find that the best spots are the ones that require no reservation and there is no one around.

westernrvparkowner

montana

Senior Member

Joined: 11/29/2008

View Profile



Posted: 11/05/19 09:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Donna Jean wrote:

this thread makes me very scared of what is ahead for my husband and I. we are putting our home up for sale in the spring and plan to buy a DP and live full time for 6 months or longer before relocating from MI to TN. Since we will not be able to start this adventure before we sell our house we have no idea on when it will start so trying to book far in advance is going to be a big problem. Our hope is to be on the road by August and spend time first in CO then move on to UT. I hope we are not homeless with a MH and no where to park it
Nothing to worry about. It is simple to make reservations for places that are destinations for you. You don't just accidentally end up at Yosemite or Grand Teton. There is plenty of availability throughout the country with very few exceptions if you have even a day or two advanced planning. In the unlikely event your destination plans intersect with an abnormal event (i.e. you want to stay in Sedalia, Missouri and it is the week of the state fair, hence no availability) changing your destination a few dozen miles should suffice. Major holidays are known far in advance, so don't plan to travel without reservations on or around the 4th of July. Employ a dose of common sense and you will not be without a place to stay.

smarty

new mexico

Full Member

Joined: 04/23/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/05/19 09:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IB853347201 wrote:

We have never had an issue camping on weekends, even in the busiest states and tourist destinations.
Reservations in advance work every time.
We've already booked most of next July and August.
If you're intent on winging it, you'll likely continue to be disappointed....


You need to head north. Never a problem with campgrounds being full in the northern lower and the UP, particularly the UP

Pirate

Northeast Tennessee

Senior Member

Joined: 05/20/2002

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 11/05/19 03:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Donna Jean wrote:

this thread makes me very scared of what is ahead for my husband and I. we are putting our home up for sale in the spring and plan to buy a DP and live full time for 6 months or longer before relocating from MI to TN. Since we will not be able to start this adventure before we sell our house we have no idea on when it will start so trying to book far in advance is going to be a big problem. Our hope is to be on the road by August and spend time first in CO then move on to UT. I hope we are not homeless with a MH and no where to park it
Why are you leaving MI?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

 > More campers than parks
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS