RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: More campers than parks

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

 > More campers than parks

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
toedtoes

California

Senior Member

Joined: 05/17/2014

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 11/01/19 05:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

The solution actually is to improve the campsites in USFS, USDA and Army Corp of Engineer properties.

These campgrounds are never full and there is a reason -- it's just a dirt road -- primitive toilet if ever there is one, water (sometimes) and electric hook ups (non-existent).

But then again, it might never happen in the very near future. The current administration would rather give and open these up to logging, oil and mineral interests.


That's exactly why I prefer these campgrounds!

I have a toilet in both my RVs, I don't need or want hookups, and the dirt roads just make it less populated by folks afraid of a pebble scratch on their prius. [emoticon]

This time of year, I can always find a campsite.


1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

Senior Member

Joined: 03/28/2018

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 11/01/19 06:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toedtoes wrote:

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

The solution actually is to improve the campsites in USFS, USDA and Army Corp of Engineer properties.

These campgrounds are never full and there is a reason -- it's just a dirt road -- primitive toilet if ever there is one, water (sometimes) and electric hook ups (non-existent).

But then again, it might never happen in the very near future. The current administration would rather give and open these up to logging, oil and mineral interests.


That's exactly why I prefer these campgrounds!

I have a toilet in both my RVs, I don't need or want hookups, and the dirt roads just make it less populated by folks afraid of a pebble scratch on their prius. [emoticon]

This time of year, I can always find a campsite.


I don't mind but at least have nearby source to load up water and a dump within the route.

toedtoes

California

Senior Member

Joined: 05/17/2014

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 11/01/19 07:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't need it. I fill up and dump at home. [emoticon]

pnichols

The Other California

Senior Member

Joined: 04/26/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 11/01/19 08:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IdaD wrote:

You're in a very populated area. Go north into Oregon or east into Nevada and you'll find all kinds of wide open spaces to camp in and explore.

Forget about Idaho, though. Nothing to see there but potato fields.


Huuuuhhh, for example ... we spent spectacular boondock camping along the Salmon and Henry's Fork rivers in Idaho a couple of years ago!


Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca Spirit 24V

pnichols

The Other California

Senior Member

Joined: 04/26/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 11/01/19 09:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

Lightning55 wrote:

Boondocking... you mean no AC? no TV with 235 stations? No electric blanket? OMG
No, I don't mean that. When you get good at boondocking you can have all that.


No, I don't mean that. When you get good at boondocking you can have all that.

How true ... an absolutely outstanding comment!

Those are things that proper RV boondocking can provide over and above backpacking - heating, cooling, plenty of cold drinks/ice and food on tap, a warm toilet area close to where you're sleeping, hot showers, electric entertainment, deep fat fried fish and chips, no tent leaks dripping in your face, no bears raiding your stuff, etc., ... and plenty of great scenery too -> just like in backpacking. [emoticon]

toedtoes

California

Senior Member

Joined: 05/17/2014

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 11/01/19 10:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Or maybe the state parks hold more of an interest to more RV owners - they get some amenities along with a nice natural setting.

From reading here, few "weekenders" or casual RVers want to stay in RV Parks that cater to longterm residents - so your taking that space isn't affecting them.


P.S. There are many many houses out there. If you believe new construction is shoddy, then you can buy one of the many older to old homes. There is no law that requires you to buy a brand new home or even one in a development. To cross a stick and brick off your list in favor of an RV because a house built last week is poorly built is a lousy financial decision.

Trekkar

Michigan

Senior Member

Joined: 02/10/2009

View Profile



Posted: 11/02/19 07:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toedtoes wrote:

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

The solution actually is to improve the campsites in USFS, USDA and Army Corp of Engineer properties.

These campgrounds are never full and there is a reason -- it's just a dirt road -- primitive toilet if ever there is one, water (sometimes) and electric hook ups (non-existent).

But then again, it might never happen in the very near future. The current administration would rather give and open these up to logging, oil and mineral interests.


That's exactly why I prefer these campgrounds!

I have a toilet in both my RVs, I don't need or want hookups, and the dirt roads just make it less populated by folks afraid of a pebble scratch on their prius. [emoticon]

This time of year, I can always find a campsite.


X2. I don't want these types of improvements either. Many times when this happens, the parks are turned over to private contractors, and they mess it up. Also, one of the reasons folks stay full time in parks is because of no lower cost housing being available.


2001 RoadTrek 190

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

Senior Member

Joined: 01/27/2004

View Profile






Posted: 11/02/19 08:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lot of people full time by choice. When I got a seasonal site on a lake up North 14 years ago I had always dreamed of a cabin on the lake. I quickly realized the expense and maintaining a property for a few months a year wasn't worth it, so I went the seasonal route. The only thing I'm responsible for is the RV. Water, Sewer, Trash, Electric, Property tax, Yard work, and Roads are all maintained by the campground. I know a couple of seasonals there that have a spot there and one in Florida for the Winter and sold their homes. Even with my very modest home paid for I have property tax, insurance and utilities that amount to over 600 a month then add in maintenance on top of that. It would be financially better for me to get another spot in Florida or Georgia and get rid of the home. I just can't do it at this point. I have found the Collies and I can live in a RV very comfortably. Other then the seasonal I keep a couple of RV'S to travel with.

With the large expensive of a home and the fact a lot of people can now do their job from anywhere campgrounds are filling up with young people as well as retirees. This makes it more difficult for Weekend Warriors to get spots.

stevennlv

Louisville

Full Member

Joined: 01/08/2011

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 11/02/19 08:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

colliehauler wrote:

Lot of people full time by choice. When I got a seasonal site on a lake up North 14 years ago I had always dreamed of a cabin on the lake. I quickly realized the expense and maintaining a property for a few months a year wasn't worth it, so I went the seasonal route. The only thing I'm responsible for is the RV. Water, Sewer, Trash, Electric, Property tax, Yard work, and Roads are all maintained by the campground. I know a couple of seasonals there that have a spot there and one in Florida for the Winter and sold their homes. Even with my very modest home paid for I have property tax, insurance and utilities that amount to over 600 a month then add in maintenance on top of that. It would be financially better for me to get another spot in Florida or Georgia and get rid of the home. I just can't do it at this point. I have found the Collies and I can live in a RV very comfortably. Other then the seasonal I keep a couple of RV'S to travel with.

With the large expensive of a home and the fact a lot of people can now do their job from anywhere campgrounds are filling up with young people as well as retirees. This makes it more difficult for Weekend Warriors to get spots.


Yeah I didn't even get into the younger folks. We've got some that are living in here now that part of their decision to go with an RV was climate change because they believe having a tiny home makes less environmental impact. Whether you agree with it or not a lot of the young people believe in it and I believe that will be a factor in driving this problem even further.

cummins2014

Utah

Senior Member

Joined: 02/20/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 11/02/19 09:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

IdaD wrote:

You're in a very populated area. Go north into Oregon or east into Nevada and you'll find all kinds of wide open spaces to camp in and explore.

Forget about Idaho, though. Nothing to see there but potato fields.


What??? You just killed our spring plans!

Twin Falls and onwards.[emoticon]


Not to worry ,they are just trying to keep people out of Idaho, its a beautiful place.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

 > More campers than parks
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.