|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Electric Load Distribution

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 11/02/19 04:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Look at your distribution panel (Breaker box) it should be easy to figure out which breakers coospond to which main breaker (Right or left. or Top/Bottom depending on box) then you an figure out what they did. IF not sure turn off breakers that are busy (Example air conditioners or water heater)

NOTE one AC should be on one leg one on the other. The water heater is on one leg.. (if you have an inverter it should be on the other) and one AC + Water heater---25 amps easy .

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/02/19 04:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Probably water heater and converter. Check again in an hour.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

flyfishing48

Wherever we are parked

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/02/19 07:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all of the responses. I guess the take away is I don't need to be concerned about most of the load being on one leg.
I don't worry too much about campground wiring issues because of the surge protector doing diagnostics for a few minutes before it lets power go through to the coach.
I am on metered electric for the next 3 months so I may keep an eye on the usage, 25 amps for what was on seems awful high. I might start flipping breakers off to see what is what.

Gloria & Tom:">
Chevy 2500 Ext Cab Duramax
Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 11/02/19 09:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

flyfishing48 wrote:

Thanks for all of the responses. I guess the take away is I don't need to be concerned about most of the load being on one leg.
I don't worry too much about campground wiring issues because of the surge protector doing diagnostics for a few minutes before it lets power go through to the coach.

They only check with no load. Once connected various faults can occur.

They also do not check for excessive amps.

I am on metered electric for the next 3 months so I may keep an eye on the usage, 25 amps for what was on seems awful high. I might start flipping breakers off to see what is what.

Good plan.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/19 08:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

flyfishing48 wrote:

I think you are worried for the wrong reason. It appears you are concerned about the LOAD on 1 leg. Remember, there is NO REASON to distribute or attempt to distribute loads evenly. EACH leg is capable of 50 amps of load. Now, if your most common appliances in use came close to 45 amps with nothing on the other leg, then yes, I would transfer one of the common use higher amp users to the other leg. Doug

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/19 09:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Interesting... and makes me wonder if why one leg at my primary campground was way low on voltage. If everybody is pulling off of the same leg...

flyfishing48

Wherever we are parked

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/03/19 11:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

philh wrote:

Interesting... and makes me wonder if why one leg at my primary campground was way low on voltage. If everybody is pulling off of the same leg...

I have on more than one occasion had our surge protector fault for low voltage on one leg. This would occur with a full campground on hot days and everyone running their air conditioners full blast. I would see voltage dip below 105 volts on one leg. Come Monday and as sites emptied out the voltage would be back up to 118 -120 volts.

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/19 12:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

philh wrote:

RV loads or CG distributions - who knows - perhaps balanced at the utility distribution.

I'd guess wiring - CGs are not designed to carry high loads for many sites at the same time as it's not required by code and would be very expensive.

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/19 02:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

philh wrote:

The "legs" are NOT always on the same PHASE. EACH leg is a separate Phase on 50 amp service. So, they could have a Transformer problem or such, and that would cause different readings on the legs. The CG plugs are not in line---site 1 then it daisychains to site 2 and so on. NO. EACH leg wire/s at Sites should go to a main supply breaker panel that is rated for the number of 50 amp sites. If the main panel has 20 sites to it, then there should be 40 wires with 2 wires each going to each 50 amp plug with the required SIZE Neutral supplying each 50 amp site plug. Doug

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Electric Load Distribution
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS