|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Be careful out there. There are some bad people

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/19 08:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Always keep up your guard. Maintain your radar for unusual people and behavior. I have been boondocking for well over 50 years. I almost always go meet any people in the vicinity in a remote location. I have packed up and left a few times when I did not like what I saw.

Being in an RV gives you a great advantage. I sleep with 3 dogs and carry a heater. Nobody sneaks up on our rig.

SusanDallas

Dallas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/03/19 09:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a bad experience in Port Aransas a couple of years ago. This was in December. It is only a 30 minute drive from Corpus Christi.
I had only been in the RV park one night. It was raining when I arrived so I didn't unhook my car. I just hooked up the utilities & went to bed. This was a very nice RV park right on the beach.

The next morning, I asked an elderly couple outside if they knew where the dumpster was. This was the only conversation I had with the woman. The next day at 8 in the morning, someone knocked on my door. It was this woman. She asked me if I wanted to go into town with her. I told her no. I told her I needed to do laundry since my coat got wet when I was hooking up the utilities. The woman then said she could drive me to a laundromat in town. I told her that I was going to use the one in the RV park. This woman told me that the one in the RV park was in terrible shape and the one in town was very nice. I had checked out the laundry room the day before and it was new due to being rebuilt because of Hurricane Harvey.

The woman then asked me if I needed help unhooking my travel trailer from my minivan. I told her no. This woman was very persistent even though I acted irritated with her.

Later that day, I went for a walk on the beach. I was so shook up that I carried all my money and credit cards in my pocket. This woman had clearly been trying to lure me away from my travel trailer. I spoke to a few other people in the park and asked questions about this woman. It turns out that her and her husband were volunteers at the park. They had traveled down after Hurricane Harvey to help repair the park after the storm. They had a very old aluminum travel trailer that was painted 3 different colors and in very bad shape.

The next day, I pulled out of the park and headed home. I had thought about just moving to another park but I was so shook up I just wanted to go home. I posted this experience on this website when I got home.

I later called the RV park and complained about these people and explained what happened. They refused to refund me for the nights I lost since I had paid a week in advance. The owner did tell me that they had not met this couple before they volunteered that year. This couple got their RV space & utilities for free since they were volunteers. Their travel trailer was in such bad shape most RV parks wouldn't have allowed a paying guest into the park with it. My 2 week vacation lasted 4 days.

I wonder if something similar could have happened to this couple. I was alone but a couple on vacation may have just brushed it off as an overly friendly older woman looking for company. There are a lot of workers still down there due to the hurricane a few years ago. One of them may have seen the chance to get a free home & pickup and move over the border.

* This post was edited 11/03/19 09:46am by SusanDallas *

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/19 10:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Uh, maybe she really was "an overly friendly older woman looking for company". Maybe your paranoia got the better of you in this instance. Honestly, it doesn't sound like a bad experience, just perhaps an annoying one.

I'll have to say I don't blame the campground for not giving you a refund. You didn't have a real reason for pulling up stakes and leaving other than fear, baseless or otherwise.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

jplante4

Cape Cod

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/19 11:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ppine wrote:

I sleep with 3 dogs and carry a heater. Nobody sneaks up on our rig.

Good advise. You don't want to get cold while boondocking.

Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

magicbus

Nantucket Island, MA

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/19 12:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jplante4 wrote:

ppine wrote:

[emoticon]

Dave

Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/19 07:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

magicbus wrote:

jplante4 wrote:

ppine wrote:

[emoticon]

Dave
I only have two dogs, but have two heaters.[emoticon]

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/19 07:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My heater carries five rounds of .357 mag.

memtb

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/04/19 07:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

colliehauler wrote:

magicbus wrote:

jplante4 wrote:

ppine wrote:

[emoticon]

Dave
I only have two dogs, but have two heaters.[emoticon]

Only two “heaters”! You never know when the weather could turn exceptionally cool! [emoticon] We have different models, should one fail due to prevailing conditions! memtb

Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/04/19 07:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lap527 wrote:

Terrible, Terrible....and people wonder why some carry.

I wonder if they were. I just read online that a person of interest has been identified.

My husband lived in that area years back and said it is not a safe area. It's a shame to have to deal with this, but it seems part of this lifestyle, to be aware of your surroundings and to always be cautious.

2011 Bighorn 3055RL
2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley BD3
1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica and Mabel, both Rat Terriers!

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/04/19 03:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My question is if the RV had not been seen going into Mexico would Propaganda network turn it into nationwide headline news?

Snark not helpful. Think about these people's families instead of trying to make a political statement.

I just read online that a person of interest has been identified.

Picture in news shows a male in the driver's seat and what looks like a female in the passenger seat. Needless to say the story is front page news up here.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Be careful out there. There are some bad people
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS