|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Difficulty Reducing Tongue Weight

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
SGS2019

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 11/02/19 02:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bikendan wrote:

If you have the 3.5 Ecoboost with the Max Tow package and only have 1439lbs of payload, you must have a high bling level, like a Lariat or Platinum. My 2014 3.5 Ecoboost F150 XLT SCREW with the Max Tow package has 1828lbs of payload capacity.

Yep, Lariat. I’m gonna weigh my buddies XLT with leather installed as I don’t see the weight difference being 400 lbs as his is 1873 lbs.

ken56

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/02/19 04:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is my experience. Purchased a new trailer that was 10k gvwr and told the dealer to upgrade my existing Pro Series 10k/1k hitch to an Equal-i-zer. They matched it to the 10kgvwr instead of the 1280 tougue weight (brochure weight). I towed the trailer the first year with the new Equal-i-zer 10k/1k hitch but still had some wiggle in the back of the truck at times, tail wagging the dog thing. Never had any real sway but was buffetted around by passing trucks and winds. Trailer has E rated Endurance pumped up to 80 psi. tow vehicle is a 2500HD GMC so it's enough truck with good tires also.

From reading posts here like you are I knew something was not quite there. I broke down and bought the 14k/1400 Equal-i-zer hitch and THAT CURED the problem. The trailer tows so much better. No death grip on the steering wheel. Bumps are smoothed out better. No bounce. Huge difference.

From what you post you need higher rated tires. You also need the higher rated hitch and yes, you need the whole thing, not just new bars, the heavier bars will not fit the 10k/1k head.

* This post was edited 11/02/19 04:22pm by ken56 *

mooky stinks

Cicero,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/02/19 04:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not sure where you're getting 17 % tongue weight from? Doesn't that trailer have a GVWR of like 8000lbs? 1100lbs of tongue weight would be right where you want to be at 13%.

2017 Silverado 1500 LT, Max Tow

2012 Outback 277RL

SGS2019

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 11/02/19 04:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mooky stinks wrote:

Not sure where you're getting 17 % tongue weight from? Doesn't that trailer have a GVWR of like 8000lbs? 1100lbs of tongue weight would be right where you want to be at 13%.

In page 1 of this, my weights are there. I am at 6840 with 1160 tongue weight. You are correct though that the trailer max is 7960 I believe.

MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/02/19 04:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I did a quick interweb search and found this for the specs of it and it has a really heavy dry tw... Not sure what would make it that high, but it's a heavy tw for sure..

[image]

Good luck!

Mitch

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

SGS2019

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 11/02/19 04:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MitchF150 wrote:

I did a quick interweb search and found this for the specs of it and it has a really heavy dry tw... Not sure what would make it that high, but it's a heavy tw for sure..

[image]

Good luck!

Mitch

Yeah, it is super heavy. My tongue jack failed once when I was coming off the ball, that was scary! I literally took everything out and I’m still at 1160 which is way over the spec sheet.

mich800

Pontiac, MI

View Profile

Posted: 11/02/19 05:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MitchF150 wrote:

Good luck!

Mitch

Looks like the axles are set way back relative to the more common central location on many TT's. I would think it would tow nicely with the correct tow vehicle and set-up.

SGS2019

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 11/02/19 07:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mich800 wrote:

MitchF150 wrote:

Good luck!

Mitch

Looks like the axles are set way back relative to the more common central location on many TT's. I would think it would tow nicely with the correct tow vehicle and set-up.

I’ve had someone say they thought they were too far back, but I’m with you. It should tow great. Why I bought it back in 2015. It’s mostly been used at a fixed spot so I only had to tow 400 miles a year, but we have started camping with it so I am towing more and the way it is now, no thanks. We got hit by a severe thunderstorm while towing this summer and it was not good.

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 11/02/19 08:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SGS2019 wrote:

Hello! I joined today because I have been unable to solve my towing issues and would like to see if anyone can give me ideas to help.

Tow rig: 2018 F150 Lariat Crew 4x4, 3.5L max tow
Camper: 2007 Gulf Stream Innsbruck 24RKL
Background: For as long as I’ve owned this camper, towing with two previous GM trucks, I’ve never felt comfortable towing this trailer. It doesn’t sway, but in any type of winds, the stability just isn’t great. It feels as if I am being shoved around and it can be difficult to keep in the lanes at times. .

While maxing out the tire PSI on the truck will help considerable. The wind is still going to move the TT around. No matter what you do, or what you put it behind. The side walls are a huge sail, and will catch every bit of wind.

How does it do when passing, or being passed by the big trucks.? If they don't push you around. Not much else you can do. If they do push you around, and I don't mean you feel them, if they MOVE you around, you have some work to do.

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

SGS2019

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 11/02/19 08:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Terryallan wrote:

SGS2019 wrote:

Hello! I joined today because I have been unable to solve my towing issues and would like to see if anyone can give me ideas to help.

Tow rig: 2018 F150 Lariat Crew 4x4, 3.5L max tow
Camper: 2007 Gulf Stream Innsbruck 24RKL
Background: For as long as I’ve owned this camper, towing with two previous GM trucks, I’ve never felt comfortable towing this trailer. It doesn’t sway, but in any type of winds, the stability just isn’t great. It feels as if I am being shoved around and it can be difficult to keep in the lanes at times. .

While maxing out the tire PSI on the truck will help considerable. The wind is still going to move the TT around. No matter what you do, or what you put it behind. The side walls are a huge sail, and will catch every bit of wind.

How does it do when passing, or being passed by the big trucks.? If they don't push you around. Not much else you can do. If they do push you around, and I don't mean you feel them, if they MOVE you around, you have some work to do.

I get some push away then pull back in when passing semi trucks.

A long time ago I was involved in an accident on I-80 in Illinois where a big rig passed an expedition towing a large camper, which caused it to lose control, smashing into the concrete wall and flipping both over. It was an absolute mess.. I will never forget that, so I am very cautious of sway and big rigs. I don’t have much issue around them as it’s predictive what will occur and when.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Difficulty Reducing Tongue Weight
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS