|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Super_Dave

Harrisville, UT

View Profile

Posted: 11/02/19 09:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

even in the deli?

Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

Janss

Sedona, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/02/19 09:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

down home...you made me laugh so hard!

My spouse, who is from Kentucky, likes the country ham at Waffle House (even in AZ!) Sometimes we even ask them to sell us a slice or two (after eating breakfast there), and they do. Cracker Barrel has it too, as already mentioned.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

Flapper

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/02/19 10:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here in Minnesota it is also an unheard of item. I used to go to Cracker Barrel, and they usually had a whole ham available for sale. Haven't done that for a few years now, though. Not currently listed on their website, but you could ask. It looks like they also offer various repackaged meat items from Berger's Smokehouse...so there is always mail order from that source.

Not a Southern Boy by any stretch of the imagination, but when we made trips to the "East", my Dad insisted on driving back roads looking for farmhouses with roadside signs advertising "hams for sale". He insisted they were always the best, not like those "factory" operations. I'm sure those are long gone in this age of USDA inspections, etc.

2012 F150 Eco, 4x4, SCrew, Max Tow, HD Payload
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2670MK

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/02/19 11:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is a small Butcher near Donaldson,Tn, I think, who produces great Country Hams. Don't remember the name right now. The hams are not that large but they are pricey. May order one and have it shipped.
We had Uncle Hershels Breakfast, renamed at Cracker Barrel a week ago or so. We had the country ham in it. Real pricey to buy slices of, ham or a whole one if they sell a whole one. Sedona is a few hours away. Tucson or Phoenix are they perhaps or probably have Country Hams.
As far as lty Country Ham it depends on who produces it, as to how long it is smoked, or even smoked after curing with salt and sugar.
When you cook a slice of country ham, put it in a skillet with water and let simmer for a bit. Pour that of and cook it. What your pour off is often used to make gravy. The reason for curing and peppering and smoking was to preserve the ham, bacon, and other cuts of meat, when there was no refrigeration.
Wife wanted to make a dish of scalloped potatoes with pieces of Country Ham in it. Last time she made it was for our Tribal meeting years ago. The aroma had everyone's mouth watering. It was great. There are bad hams too which we have encountered way too often in some Supermarkets. Now that Sheffield is Chinese Owned and processed and shipped back ehre quality sucks.

Janss

Sedona, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/02/19 11:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No country ham in Sedona. We go to Waffle House in Apache Junction (outside of Phoenix) in the winter when we're down there. But we do have a couple slices in our freezer from Broadbent Hams in Kentucky [emoticon]

I see there's no Waffle House in Kingman.

Busdriver

Shepherdsville Ky 40165

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/19 09:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not salty if you cook in in coke cola

Busdriver 2019 2500 Chevy Duramax , - 2017 Grand Design 303 RLS

jspringator

Versailles, KY 40383

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/03/19 10:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My mother soaked it in a lard can and changed the water several times before cooking. She boiled it on the stove until it was done, and removed the bone while it was still hot. She did a mustard based glaze in the oven before slicing.

Jim & Sherri
02 Winnebago Sightseer 27c Class A;
"Scout" Springer Spaniel, gone but not forgotten;
"Boo" Chocolate Labradoodle.

DutchmenSport

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/03/19 10:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's a regional thing. Ask for whole ham or spiral cut ham. You will probably get better results.

Merrykalia

Appalachian (apple at chun) Mtn in the GREAT SW Va

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/03/19 12:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DutchmenSport wrote:

It's a regional thing. Ask for whole ham or spiral cut ham. You will probably get better results.

Dutchmen, I usually agree with most of your comments, but there is a BIG difference in a whole ham and spiral cut ham and "country ham". Country ham is salt or occasionally sugar cured. Whole hams may be cured, but not with as much salt as a country ham is. It is so salty, it makes your blood pressure rise just smelling it cook. I guess that's what makes it so good.

2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

jspringator

Versailles, KY 40383

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/03/19 12:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is one that isn't too much.

https://www.broadbenthams.com/8-9-LB-SEMIBONELESS-COOKED-HAM/productinfo/08/

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.