|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Having a SENIOR moment

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
tomman58

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 11/05/19 08:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do agree with some RV types driving to fast or not into the fact they are towing a 40' toy hauler! I can't be sure but am betting these are mostly your "I'm in it for the weekend" types not like us snowbirds that drive like most semi drivers respecting others and following the rules of the road.

2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

Dave H M

IL

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/19 05:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So where does the "senior" deal come in?

Jayco25E

PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/07/19 07:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The ones that get my goat are when I am towing on back roads with hills and I get behind some little car that thinks they have to ride the brakes down hill. Now I am not talking about steep mountains just general hills. If I see I have to go back up one hill while going down hill I like to let my rig coast a little within reason to help get up the next hill. Always get behind someone riding there brakes.

2008 Chevy Avalanche
2005 Jayco 25E HTT
1 kid (but always end up with a full camper)
2 retired Greyhounds

patbac

Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/07/19 10:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think a lot of the merging problems are not from rudeness, but from lack of brain ability. Not stupid - just unable to quickly gauge how fast everyone is moving, the space available and then what needs to be done to safely move into that space. Pretty basic physics (without the math).
It would be nice if there were a way to test for that before license is given out.

bigred1cav

ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/07/19 12:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Germania wrote:

There definitely should be a school teaching people the proper way to merge.

There is. RV DRIVING SCHOOL

Horsedoc

Dixie --- N. Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/19 02:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Next we have the person that thinks you will move over for him as he enters the freeway........ wrong not moving because I have a semi passing on the right."

I am trying to visualize this and just can't picture it. So, are you saying "the person" is entering the freeway from left? If you are in the right lane, and the person is entering like most interstate on ramps are set up (from the left) then you might try to work with the guy. How does a semi on your RIGHT figure into this ? Wouldn't you be changing lanes to your left?
Explain??

Bowti

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/19 02:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

naturist wrote:

Veebyes wrote:

The merging thing. Why don't drivers, cars mostly, not get over if they can to let vehicles on, especially things like RVs & semis which are not able to speed up quickly?

It is a simple matter to show a little courtesy to help that big guy on the highway.

Why do car drivers expect that big rig to just get out of their way? Everyone assumed the responsibility of getting themselves safely down the road by accepting that driver’s license. It is no one else’s responsibility to you, it is yours alone. I have had people fly into road rage because I failed to run the guy passing me in the other lane off the road so they could meander onto the freeway. Not my job to merge you in, bud. The key is “if they can.” And if I can’t, it’s still your job, not mine.

I had a argument with a guy who told me it was the law that I was to move over to let him onto the highway. So there is a lot of mis information and lack of knowledge on merging.

2013 Keystone Cougar 28SGS Xlite
Shipping weight 7561 lbs
Carrying capacity 2439 lbs
Hitch Pin 1410 lbs
2008 Silverado 2500 Duramax 4X4 Crew Cab
Reese 16K Round Tube Slider
Custom 3 Receiver Hitch Scooter Carrier
2013 Honda PCX Scooter on the Carrier

tomman58

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/19 07:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Horsedoc wrote:

"Next we have the person that thinks you will move over for him as he enters the freeway........ wrong not moving because I have a semi passing on the right."

I am trying to visualize this and just can't picture it. So, are you saying "the person" is entering the freeway from left? If you are in the right lane, and the person is entering like most interstate on ramps are set up (from the left) then you might try to work with the guy. How does a semi on your RIGHT figure into this ? Wouldn't you be changing lanes to your left?
Explain??

Sorry meant the left of me although I have had issues a time or two with a merge lane on the left side of the freeway on a two laner.

DutchmenSport

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/08/19 07:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Blazing Zippers wrote:

Reminds me of the fellow that said, " I've never had an accident, but there have been quite few of them really close to me."
HHMMMMMMM

Actually, this is quite an interesting comment you made here. I vividly remember in drivers education class (Summer of 1970) when our instructor made a comment very similar.

He said, "YOU may never be in an accident yourself. But if experience other drivers having accidents near you, it's time to reevaluate YOUR driving style." I never forgot that.

I must be doing something right, I've witnessed only 1 accident happening at an intersection in 45 years of driving, when sitting at a red light and someone ran the light and T-boned the other car. We were about the 4th or 5th car back from the stop. That was more than 20 years ago.

I've never had an accident involving another car in 45 years of driving. But, that doesn't mean I haven't backed into a telephone pole, I've hit a deer, I ran into a tree laying across the road at night during a black-out thunderstorm though. [emoticon]

Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/08/19 12:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

opnspaces wrote:

azdryheat wrote:

BTW, I've seen some pretty crappy RV driver behavior, too, so I don't think we have a leg to stand on to criticize non-RVers.

I'm with azdryheat on this one. Seems like we're seeing a cross section of human behavior out on the roads. What I find really disheartening is my fellow RV'rs, the self proclaimed nicest people in the world, putting others at risk. There are multiple posts above to rationalize why the poster is justified in driving in an unsafe manner. Justifications run the gamut from "I'm bigger and can't move over easily" to "I have the right of way and I'm going to take it" And I really love the quote "Not my job to merge you in, bud."

I truly hope that these kinds of quotes above are from keyboard warriors and not indicative of true driving styles.

Nope it's the law that says who has the right of way! The law is there to make sure that it's done uniformly. The party merging has the OBLIGATION to merge and not interfere with moving traffic. You can alow them the space IF you are able.

Grit dog wrote:

Weird, last 2 on-ramp loafers I seen yesterday were both blue hairs. Both women. 1 with a car full of presumably grandkids getting on I 90 at about 44mph and the other, grandma flying solo in a circa mid 90s Buick, same deal.
Pretty sure neither of them consciously thought they were “entitled” to drive so d@mn slow, they were just slow.

You should all probably read Grit dogs post again. Not everybody has the same incredible and legendary driving skill that you have. Does that entitle you to run them off the road as they try to merge?

Not everyone should be driving. There is a point when a person needs to be smart enough to say I am not a good driver any more. WA state I could send in a form for reexam of people that should not e driving. I have a relative that is limited to speeds under 45, because shes dangerous faster. At 70 she has 54 years experience and should be a good driver.

Johno02 wrote:

It is the "entitled, I get anything I want" generation.

While I agree with the entitled part of this post I question which generation is showing the sense of entitlement here.

Many years ago I was a 19 year old having to take a drivers safety course because of a speeding ticket. The class was taught by an off duty police officer and truly most of it was a blur of boredom soon to be forgotten monologue. But one quote the officer said has stuck with me to this day. It was relevant then and is relevant enough today that I passed it along to my children as I taught them to drive.

"Never force the right of way. You may be right, but you may also be dead right."

True enough but I will not endanger myself or anyone else so you can merge. CA has some of the worst drivers in the nation. I won't go into left coast entitlements.

2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Having a SENIOR moment
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS