|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Having a SENIOR moment

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
monkey44

Cape Cod, MA and Central Fla

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/19 12:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Won't even debate about California drivers being the worst, but it certainly competes with Florida for that honor and trophy.

We have youngsters that think the throttle and steering wheel link together forcing the 'weave in and out' snake-slither pattern but meet us at the next stop light and gun the engine. Then we have the seniors too short to see over the wheel and dashboard with one foot on the brakes driving 45 mph in the left lane 65 mph zone but think they're speeding.

Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

teejaywhy

Gilbert, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/19 01:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Veebyes wrote:

The merging thing. Why don't drivers, cars mostly, not get over if they can to let vehicles on, especially things like RVs & semis which are not able to speed up quickly?

It is a simple matter to show a little courtesy to help that big guy on the highway.

I'm not understanding the belief that merging requires the established traffic to speed up or slow down or move over ??

Merging is simple. One needs merely to use that 1/4 mile on ramp to accelerate and match the speed of the established traffic and then position oneself in the gap between two vehicles.

Getting to the end of the ramp and thinking someone needs to "let you in" because you weren't paying attention is just bad driving.

The Yost Outpost
Gilbert, AZ
2019 Nash 23D

BarabooBob

Baraboo, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/08/19 02:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Last summer we experienced two cases of absolutely terrible driving. The first was were a driver kept speeding up then slowing down to block me from merging. The other was a person driving a very large (3 axle) fifth wheel on a one ton dually blowing by everyone doing at lease 75 in the fast lane when we had a 40 mph wind quartering us from the front. I told my wife that we would probably see him again. Up ahead we came to a traffic slowdown/(stop and go) that lasted about a half hour. That 5th wheel/truck unit was in the ditch and looked like a bomb went off in it. Unfortunately both people in the truck died.
So, it is not always "the other guys" that cause problems.

Bob & Dawn Married 31 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

run100

Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/19 08:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Many of the problems associated with bad driving behavior can be traced back to the growing number of cell phone users attempting to drive an automobile simultaneously. It's a very bad mix! Unfortunately, appropriate laws are being introduced far too slowly.

I just read that pedestrian deaths are up some 40% since 10-years earlier and now account for 16% of all automobile related deaths. Problem is, drivers and pedestrians are both overly distracted these days! I also regularly see bicyclists playing with their phone while riding. Myself being a cyclist, I can say there's already enough hazards to worry about without introducing unnecessary distractions too!

2012 F350,6.7L Diesel,4x4,CC,SB,SRW
2013 Lance 855S

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/09/19 08:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This subject comes up several times a year. No one wants to drive with the flow and other issues.
Every week, just about while home, we drive 200miles pus round trip to the Doctors.
We have almost been involved in accident, been forced off the road, crowded out of merging on the interstate,Had truckers block traffic in all lanes, all the time, n purpose, and all sorts of their games. Now in the last five or six years, we have a lot of new people from California, some I see at the VA,and escapees from high tax areas with people jammed cheek to jowel. They drive very aggressively and don't care, it seems, about bent fenders. Then we have a lot of drug users something new to Tn and in Nashville and other cities.
Defensive driving is the name of the game and I avoid many stretches of I24and I75 when I can. Wife insist on driving them however.
Just stay safe out there is about all you can do. No Sunday driving, no cell phnes etc.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/19 09:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Then we have a lot of drug users something new to Tn and in Nashville and other cities."

What, they started wearing signs: "I'm a drug user"?

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

gtnsmlr

Camarillo, CA

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/19 03:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I don’t look, you have to let me in...

The older we get, the faster we go

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/19 04:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gtnsmlr wrote:

If I don’t look, you have to let me in...
Yeah, that does appear to be a theme. It would seem that the meaning of "Merge" has gone astray, and morphed into "I'm entering the road and surely I have the right-of-way".

rickeoni

home

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/19 11:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Too many nanny devices in vehicles these days, lane departure warnings, blind spot detectors, upteen cameras on a 14 inch screen, heads up displays........ all of these are supposed to warn a driver if we are about to make an error, but, drivers have come to rely on these devises as a primary means of observation, and no longer use their senses. Years ago I took an advanced driving course and SIDPE was drilled into us. Scan Identify Define Prepare Execute.

2008 F450
2007 Adventurer 85WS
2012 Haulmark "The Garage"
2016 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak 26 RKS

run100

Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/19 12:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tomman58 wrote:

We are on our yearly trek across the US and again are being greeted by some seriously unqualified drivers.
The first one is the person that refuses to put on his headlights at dusk or in the rain. The "I can see you so you must be able to see me"

This is a problem that I've noticed getting worse the past couple years. It appears to be more common in the evenings than the morning. Many evenings, while driving home from work, one particular stretch of road is quite dark - depending what time I leave the office. Even when well past dusk, the number of cars on the road without their headlights on is shocking. Within the last year, I've had at least three close encounters (collisions) with people driving in stealth mode.

Whether it's a result of DUI, cell phone distraction, or a brain-dead driver, it's very frustrating!

* This post was edited 11/11/19 01:15pm by run100 *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Having a SENIOR moment
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS