|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> South Dakota, July 2020

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
BarabooBob

Baraboo, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/04/19 03:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Several of the campgrounds at Custer State Park have electric hookups. Badlands NP has a few electric sites that can be reserved. Look around and get ready to make your reservations soon if you want electric hookups.

Bob & Dawn Married 31 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

one_strange_texan

New Caney, TX (when not on the road)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/04/19 05:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rvshrinker wrote:

We want to see:

The Badlands
Wall, SD - Wounded Knee Museum
Custer SP
Mt Rushmore
Crazy Horse
Devil’s Tower
Deadwood

We went to SD this August and saw all these things except Wounded Knee (though we went by Wall since it is right by the west entrance to Badlands NP). We stayed in Custer (the town, not the SP) at an RV park and did day trips for all. I am not sure Devil's Tower is worth an overnight stay, unless you are hiking around the base. We stayed 6 nights at Custer. All of these are easily reached by drives from there. Devil's Tower consumed a day since it is about 110 miles from Custer. You might consider one relocation up to the Deadwood/Sturgis area to have a closer base for the Devil's Tower trip.

Mount Rushmore is worth seeing, but does not consume an entire day. We saw it the same day as Crazy Horse.

Given more time, we would have probably spent it at Custer SP or visiting one or more of the caves/caverns in the area. The wildlife loop, the Needles Highway (check tunnel clearances) and Sylvan Lake are the must see items, in my opinion.

I admit my bias may be that I come from Texas where 100-mile each way round trips in a day are not out of the ordinary.

one_strange_texan
2015 Montana 3402RL
2015 Ram Diesel 3500 4WD single axle

rvshrinker

Beautiful Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/19 05:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Driving from the PNW we'll make Devil's Tower and Deadwood a 1-2 day stop one way or the other, eh? Yes we'd enjoy hiking around base of the Tower. So maybe the rest we can base out of Custer SP or similar? At Rushmore I understand there is some hiking you can do just out of the memorial itself which gives unique views and is very uncrowded.

Thom02099

Loveland,CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/04/19 05:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rvshrinker wrote:

Driving from the PNW we'll make Devil's Tower and Deadwood a 1-2 day stop one way or the other, eh? Yes we'd enjoy hiking around base of the Tower. So maybe the rest we can base out of Custer SP or similar? At Rushmore I understand there is some hiking you can do just out of the memorial itself which gives unique views and is very uncrowded.

Since you are in to hiking, a must do would be Black Elk Peak, formerly Harney Peak, which is the highest point (at 7244ft) in South Dakota. It's not a difficult hike and well worth it for the vistas when you get to the summit. This could consume a goodly portion of a day. There are various accesses, so a query of Black Elk Peak will give you several choices. One of the hikes starts at about 6200ft with an elevation gain of about 1100 feet in 3.5 miles. There's also a loop trail hike.

2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

cross21114

Baltimore, MD, USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/05/19 07:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We did this earlier this month. I suggest you defintely do this with your RV and not hotel it. Try to drive the Needles Highway (w/o the trailer of course). The way the tunnels line up with Mt. Rushmore is amazing. Spend some time in Deadwood. Couple of great museums.

Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
360 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2016 Ford Expedition

dedmiston

Valencia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/05/19 09:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Devil's Tower is a great stop. Our family loved it more than Rushmore.

The SD Black Hills are gorgeous too.

My wife and I just came through there last month on our way home from an eight week trip. We were coming the other way back from Minnesota. We drove through North Dakota and then came south to get to the Black Hills. What a gorgeous drive.

Wyoming is amazing, but she's a tough lover. (Two of our kids went to college at the University in Laramie, so we've spent plenty of time there.) Don't underestimate the distances and the weather. We got caught on a windy day (even by WY standards) and the wind somehow cut through one of our slide-outs and blew out the bedroom window on the opposite side. I've never seen anything like that before. And that wasn't the first time Wyoming took a swing at us. The rest of the trip was crazy cold with just plastic duct-taped across where the window should have been.

Everyplace in WY is awe inspiring except for the drive across the 80 in the south. The 80 is bleak and windy. Avoid it if you can. The rest of the state is mind blowing.

Your time frame and distances are very reasonable. You'll love your trip.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

one_strange_texan

New Caney, TX (when not on the road)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/06/19 07:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rvshrinker wrote:

At Rushmore I understand there is some hiking you can do just out of the memorial itself which gives unique views and is very uncrowded.

The main viewing area at Mt. Rushmore is indeed crowded, at least when we were there in August, due to construction. I do not know the expected duration of the construction job.
I would not take a RV in there during the tourist season due to parking availability (lack of availability)

melandme

Kentucky

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/06/19 09:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2x Fort Welikit in Custer. Stayed there the first of October with the daughter and granddaughters. The girls loved the fort and the deer and turkeys wandering the campground. Staff and facilities were great. I would stop at Devils Tower on the way to SD. If you have kids, 2 things I would recommend are the Mammoth Dig in Hot Springs and the fish hatchery in Spearfish. The Spearfish City campground is next to the fish hatchery and is a nice campground we have stayed at before. Wall Drug is a couple hour stop. If you not hiking, the Badlands is a half day visit. We enjoyed the trip so much we want to go back in the summer with better weather.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> South Dakota, July 2020
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS