|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Buyer Beware: Reserve America / Active Advantage

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Freightguy

River Ranch, FL

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/19 08:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just a PSA for you. I recently got a charge on my credit card fr $89.95 to a company called Active.com for their advantage membership. I had no idea who they were but I have found their parent company may own Reserve America and the charge came from a reservation I made in FL using RA.
This is very disturbing to me that the Florida State Park dept would allow this to happen as well as Reserve America.
Also, I made another reservation in RA to see if there was a check box I missed that caused the transaction, but there was no such box or any notification or mention of Active.com
I just got off the phone with Active to cancel this and they did it with no issue since I called them the next business day.
Happy Camping.

2009 American Tradition 42P
2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimted

mleekamp

Washington, IL

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/19 08:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yikes. I dislike this stuff to the highest degree. Hidden charges and "memberships" that you didn't ask for or know anything about. I booked a site at Topsail in FL just a few months ago for 2020, and will be checking for this!

I do review all charges on my CC and would have noticed something like this but will still review it tonite.

thanks!

2019 Jayco Redhawk 29XK Class C, Ford V10 E450 chassis
2000 Jeep Wrangler for a Dinghy w/ Invisibrake & Curt Tow Bar

Freightguy

River Ranch, FL

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/19 08:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mleekamp wrote:

Yikes. I dislike this stuff to the highest degree. Hidden charges and "memberships" that you didn't ask for or know anything about. I booked a site at Topsail in FL just a few months ago for 2020, and will be checking for this!

I do review all charges on my CC and would have noticed something like this but will still review it tonite.

thanks!

Also FYI; They tried to deflect blame to me for not seeing their emails stating I started a free trial that would turn to a paid membership. But all their emails went to my junk folder expect the one stating I had just been charged.

magicbus

Nantucket Island, MA

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/19 09:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We went through the same thing earlier this year booking through Reserve America for a Florida State Park.

Dave

Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

rr2254545

Central Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/04/19 09:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are lots of deals out there - be careful what you click on - most times it is your error not deceptive of the company

2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee, Air Force One, Blue Ox Avail tow bar
354 Campgrounds,80K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 1710 nights camping since we retired in July 2009

rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/04/19 09:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Freightguy wrote:

Just a PSA for you. I recently got a charge on my credit card fr $89.95 to a company called Active.com for their advantage membership. I had no idea who they were but I have found their parent company may own Reserve America and the charge came from a reservation I made in FL using RA.
This is very disturbing to me that the Florida State Park dept would allow this to happen as well as Reserve America.
Also, I made another reservation in RA to see if there was a check box I missed that caused the transaction, but there was no such box or any notification or mention of Active.com
I just got off the phone with Active to cancel this and they did it with no issue since I called them the next business day.
Happy Camping.

this is precisely why I have purchase alerts on our CCs set to $1.

'73,
rich, n9dko
If Jimmy cracks corn and nobody cares then why does he keep doing it?
'03 Jeep Wrangler TJ
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

ajriding

st clair

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/19 09:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Active dot come is a legitimate company that operates a service for online sales for many industries.

You probably clicked something at one time to "agree" to be charged. This would be the campground company, not the Active dot com, who was the origin to be charging you, and is the reason Active reversed the charge so quickly.

The good news is that credit card purchases can be reversed. Debit card spending is much harder to reverse as it is your money gone, not theirs.

I never sign up for anything that has wording for reoccurring charges, I run away fast.

Freightguy

River Ranch, FL

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/19 09:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Of course something was clicked is error. I feel it is deceptive for them to even be allowed to insert their subscription option into the check out process. If it were not in the check out process and just advertised on the page somewhere that would be different. But to have it in the check out where it is normal to have to click check boxes to agree to things is down right wrong.

wnjj

Cornelius, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/19 09:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Freightguy wrote:

Of course something was clicked is error. I feel it is deceptive for them to even be allowed to insert their subscription option into the check out process. If it were not in the check out process and just advertised on the page somewhere that would be different. But to have it in the check out where it is normal to have to click check boxes to agree to things is down right wrong.

Completely agree. Any “company” that has to trick people into signing up is peddling garbage.

rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/04/19 10:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Freightguy wrote:

'deceptive' is imprecise but will do. what has been described is very similar to what some software distributors will do. when preparing to download some providers will, by default, have a box already checked signifying the user's agreeing to also download a second piece of software. look carefully before downloading anything.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Buyer Beware: Reserve America / Active Advantage
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS