RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Storage in Barn for winter.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Storage in Barn for winter.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/04/19 01:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a pole barn with a concrete floor. I do have staining from the preservative chemicals leaching out of the tires. It might be a good idea to always put down a barrier for long term storage. With the new concrete, using a board would spread the load.

I leave the battery in the trailer and disconnect the power cord so that it is not exposed to any power issues. The battery is turned off at the disconnect switch and I connect a Battery Tender about 3 to 4 days per month. A cord is wired to the battery to provide a quick and easy connection.

ksbowman

Kansas

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/19 07:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We keep ours in a pole barn with a gravel floor. I always park it on wood. Being the first year I would have wood under the tires and landing gear for the tires and the new concrete. I'd consider with the new concrete raising with the jacks and maybe lifting the tires off the concrete with hydraulic jacks.

Road Dog

Waukesha,WI

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/19 08:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I leave my motorhome plugged into a timer that goes on 4 hrs every day Been doing this for years with no problems! Same with the battery tender for the engine battery.

pasusan

Northernmost PA

View Profile

Posted: 11/05/19 04:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A couple of years ago we built a new garage for our RV. To protect the concrete and tires we bought some vinyl runner and cut it into rectangles to go under the tires. It works for us.

We also have a Progressive Dynamics converter and leave it plugged in 24/7.

"I'm out here to enjoy nature -- don't talk to me about the environment!" ~Denny Crane

Susan & Ben
2004 Roadtrek 170 for quick getaways
84 Bronco & 90 Award Classic 23 joined with a Hensley Cub for longer trips
Trip Pics

magicbus

Nantucket Island, MA

View Profile

Posted: 11/05/19 06:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My cars managed to live on concrete for many years without the tires hurting the concrete or the concrete hurting the tires. My B lives in our barn on concrete and I just don't worry about it.

Dave

Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/05/19 06:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With fresh concrete, *I* would put down some wood.

You will be amazed at how nice your RV remains when parked indoors! When we sold our 10-yr-old Class C - it looked like new :-)

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 11/05/19 08:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

put pads under it or some ply wood ,that cement is still soft. BUT YOUR missing this .. peppermint oil and alot of it and a product called fresh cab. to keep the critters out. mines in a pole bldg I use the oil in pill bottles about six drops in each and about a dozen of them. the fresh cab I take out of the pack and tie up tea bag size using panty hose .. never a critter my rv is 12years old.

WTP-GC

FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/07/19 04:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In temps above freezing, your concrete will reach full design strength in 14-21 days (approximately). But what is that? Did you pour 3000 PSI or 4000 PSI or...? Within 7 days, it will reach 50-75% design strength. So let’s say 1500 PSI (pounds per square inch). Your rig weighs...? Your tires take up how many square inches of space? If you had 1 tire only and it took up 24 square inches, the concrete below it could withstand 36,000 pounds of static pressure (@ 1500 PSI).

No wood. It’s a barn, who cares about staining. We leave ours plugged in 24/7/365 and the fridge stays on the whole time. Done this with 3 campers...NO problem.

Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/07/19 06:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WTP-GC wrote:

In temps above freezing, your concrete will reach full design strength in 14-21 days (approximately). But what is that? Did you pour 3000 PSI or 4000 PSI or...? Within 7 days, it will reach 50-75% design strength. So let’s say 1500 PSI (pounds per square inch). Your rig weighs...? Your tires take up how many square inches of space? If you had 1 tire only and it took up 24 square inches, the concrete below it could withstand 36,000 pounds of static pressure (@ 1500 PSI).

No wood. It’s a barn, who cares about staining. We leave ours plugged in 24/7/365 and the fridge stays on the whole time. Done this with 3 campers...NO problem.

That's not how it works when considering the strength that will not crack.

Some do care about appearance and the guy with a new floor just might be able to head off staining that cannot be reversed.

WTP-GC

FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/07/19 06:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

WTP-GC wrote:

That's not how it works when considering the strength that will not crack.

Some do care about appearance and the guy with a new floor just might be able to head off staining that cannot be reversed.

Well, actually it kinda is. We regularly begin erection of large heavy objects on new concrete that are no more than 7 days cured. If weather and conditions are accommodating, we may even begin in 3 days. Nary a problem.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Storage in Barn for winter.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS